Top 5 coins of 2016 - ValiantKnight

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Dec 9, 2016.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I am expecting a few more coins before the year is out, but I think this is it as far as major acquisitions go. In short, I am very surprised at how much I was able to accomplish collecting-wise; not so much the volume but more the quality. A bunch of rare, interesting, and attractive coins have found a new home with me, with two I wouldn't have dreamed of owning anytime soon. Beside's these I've bought many more nice and interesting coins, but the following favorites are the ones that I truly have a connection with. These are off the beaten collecting path for many here, but I still hope you will enjoy them.

#1) Sisebut, Visigothic Kingdom
    AV tremissis
    Obv: + SISEBVTVS REX, bust facing
    Rev: + TOLETO PIVS, bust facing
    Mint: Toledo
    Date: 612-621 AD
    Ref: Miles 183a

sisebutvisigoth.jpg

(original thread here)

Gold coins have a tendency of putting rather sizable holes in peoples' wallets (except for Panzerman), so I don't actively search them out, but I've always really wanted one from one of the Germanic tribes. I originally purchased a different tremissis from Emerita, but for whatever reason I was sent this one from Toledo. A mistake, but a mistake in my favor. It was just as nice as the Emerita example, and it was from Toledo. It is a mint city I would have preferred due to it being the Visigothic capital, and the fact that I already had Visigothic bronze nummi from Emerita. I came upon my tremissis of Sisebut (or rather, the coin I originally bought) entirely by chance when I was searching coins from what would have been my first non-Ebay auction site (still have yet to pop this cherry). It wasn't this particular example I found first, but another Sisebut tremissis from Hispalis. Searching further, I discovered the Emerita tremissis. Both the Hispalis and Emerita examples were fized-price listings, and very expensive, but the Emerita coin was slightly less, and didn't have nowhere as many weak areas. So I asked the seller if they would be willing to reserve it for me and they did. But how in the world was I going to get all the money, and preferably soon? Determinedly I dove into my collection, of which I thought I had already emptied of coins I was willing to sell off, and I came out with a lot more than I would have envisaged. One month later, I became the proud owner of Gothic gold.

#2) Jovinus, Western Roman Empire
    AR siliqua
    Obv: D N IOVIN-VS PF AVG, Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: VICTOR-IA AVGG, Roma seated left on stylized cuirass, holding Victory on globe and reversed spear
    Mint: Lugdunum
    Mintmark: SMLDV
    Date: 411-413 AD
    Ref: RIC X 1717

[​IMG]

(original thread here)

I am always on the lookout for the rarer rulers of the late Roman Empire, particularly of the western empire and of the Germanic kingdoms that succeeded it. Like my Sisebut tremissis, however, this one surprised me as well as I searched for different coins. In the back of my head I had relegated Jovinus to the group of extremely rare and pricey usurpers like Constantine III and Sebastianus that, to acquire, would take an internal organ or three to sell. But this one was at least relatively affordable, so I jumped on it. Also similarly with my tremissis and a few other coins in my list, it took some selling to help pay for. Jovinus is interesting because, along with Eugenius, he was one of the first to rely on barbarian help to secure and support his position. This phenomena would help lead to the rise of powerful barbarians such as Ricimer and Gundobad within the imperial hierarchy, who elevated, controlled, and deposed emperors at will.

#3) Maurice Tiberius, Byzantine Empire
    AV solidus
    Obv: D N mAVRC TIb PP AVC, diademed, helmeted, and cuirassed bust facing, holding globus cruciger in left hand
    Rev: VICTORI-A AVGG ∆, Victory standing facing, holding long staff surmounted with staurogram in left hand and globus cruciger in right hand
    Mint: Constantinople
    Mintmark: CONOB
    Date:582-602 AD
    Ref: SB 476
    Size: 4.29 g., 21 mm wide

[​IMG]

(original thread here)

Byzantine coins with faces that don't look like they were slapped clean off are rather difficult to come by. I bought a half-follis of Maurice Tiberius from Thessalonica which had a pretty detailed forward bust still remaining. I was very drawn in by this and knew I had to get another one with just as good of a face or better. My search brought me to this solidus of him. Wonderfully detailed bust, most legends remaining, no major issues, and the price was a little lower than your usual solidus, so I went for it. Ever since, and a few more MT coins later, I've developed a liking to this somewhat neglected ruler; he was a very capable soldier-emperor that achieved much success in protecting the empire's borders against the last of the migrating tribes and the Persians. With the latter, he ended the annual gold payments, a first in two hundred years, so I know this solidus wasn't given away to the Persians under his watch!

#4) Eugenius, Western Roman Empire
    AR siliqua
    Obv: D N EVGENIVS P F AVG, pearl diademed, draped, bearded, cuirassed bust right
    Rev: VIRTVS ROMANORVM, Roma seated left on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and reversed spear
    Mint: Milan or Trier
    Date: 392-394 AD

[​IMG]
    (still have to shoot my own photos)

(original thread here)

Another one that demonstrates my tendency to be jumped by coins I really want. I had been perusing this lesser-known site and found this clipped Eugenius siliqua among its stock. He was a late Roman ruler I still didn't have and it was within budget, and I figured it would be a long while before I would be able to buy a problem-free example, so I settled on it (but not before double-checking it really was a coin of Eugenius). I had never been a fan of clipped siliquae but because of this coin I am now more open to them. To me, these (and other deliberately altered) coins seem to have more of a human connection. Sure, ancient coins were hand-minted and circulated, but with my clipped Eugenius, I know with confidence that it was in the hands of someone one-and-a-half millennia ago.

#5) Athalaric, Ostrogothic Kingdom
    AE decanummium
    Obv: INVICT-A ROMA, Roma helmeted, facing right
    Rev: D N / ATHAL / ARICVS / REX, legend within wreath, X (10) below
    Mint: Rome
    Date: 526-534 AD
    Ref: COI 86; MIB 78; MEC 1, 133-4

[​IMG]

(original thread here)

One of my first passions in ancient coin collecting was coins bearing the names of post-Roman Germanic rulers. It started with my Ostrogothic coin of Theodahad, and since then I have added several more to my collection. And it was the same Theodahad coin that gave me a particular fondness for the Ostrogothic name-in-wreath types, so this decanummium of Athalaric was a perfect match for me. His backstory is fascinating as well: he personifies the culture clash that occurred between the barbarians and the Romans when the former came to rule the latter in late 5th-6th century Italy. Athalaric was the last peacetime ruler of the Ostrogothic Kingdom, before the horrors of the Gothic War.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

All excellent purchases, but specially that tremissis from Toledo. I can see how that one is special to you. Congratulations!

4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Great coins. I think the Jovinus is my favorite.

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I don't collect these but it's plain even to me that as a group these coins present a good case for Late Roman and Byzantine being a fascinating area to collect. It's also obvious you've gone with quality over quantity... kudos!

Paul M. likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree. There is a major difference between a coin clipped by an ancient person seeking profit and one rounded by a modern collector seeking something that fits his idea of a coin or jewelry.

David Atherton and Smojo like this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Atta-boy, Jango (well played)

Not one, but
    "TWO GOLDEN WINNERS" ... and then you brought it home with one of your Jango-esque Ostrogothic chasers!

=> congrats on a very successful year of collecting!!

emoticon cheers too.gif

Loong Siew likes this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Excellent coins for your niche

9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Terrific examples!!! From bronze to silver then gold and most quite scarce too.... I'd LOVE to add each to my collection!!!

10. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Nice pick ups.
    The Jovinus is certainly a winner.

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

All great coins I would love to own, I like the Jovinus best too.

12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A wonderful selection of coins. I am particularly fond of the Sisebut.

13. ValiantKnight

14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@ValiantKnight ... man, great job for this year! Gold is ALWAYS good! Altharic...great History; your captures are just all great! Congrats. Thanks for a great post! Lovem!

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Your number 1 is my favorite. Nice job this year!

16. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Excellent acquisitions for the year.. wishing you more good ones to come..

17. ValiantKnight

Thanks for the additional comments. Oh and if you have anything even a little bit related feel free to post :)

Loong Siew likes this.
  18. ValiantKnight

You all probably got the correct gist of it, but just want to make clear my comment about altered coins was only in relation to ancient coins altered back then, like countermarked, clipped, etc. I too don't approve of ancients being cut and turned into cheap jewelry.

Jwt708 likes this.
  19. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

A number of my top purchases for 2016 is not ancients unfortunately.. but if everyone don't mind I can post it up eventually

rrdenarius, stevex6 and Jwt708 like this.
  20. ValiantKnight

Go for it!

Loong Siew likes this.
  21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

All are sweet. Yeah I like the Jovinus siliqua a lot too.

Draft saved Draft deleted