Top 3 Favorite Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Maxim Hofstede, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Barber coins are beautiful, but wear horribly.

jester3681 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

American Silver Eagle
    Morgan Silver Dollar
    Walking Liberty Half Dollar

4. That's funny because the more they are worn, the more I love them. Opinions are like....

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The favorites I collect are Morgan, Peace and old Liberty gold.

Then, there are all the others - virtually everything.

6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

1 Draped bust dollar
    2 trade dollar
    3 st gaudens $20
    Honorable mentions
    Liberty cap cent
    Flowing hair dollar
    And all I collect beyond a type set is the trade dollars. But as a dealer I buy what I like

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I hear what you are saying @Kentucky about how unattractive worn barbers are. However, to me, a worn barber is proof of the superiority of the coin design. Most coins worn to AG are much worst, and most are missing dates and other aspects of the coin. A worn barber is proof of Barber's excellence in coin design.

Of course a BU barber is much more attractive, but I would never put a BU barber ahead of a lot of other attractive US coins. However, I would use a worn Barber as an example of truly spectacular technical coin design. These coins were worn for 50+ years and still had full coin details. A beautiful early SL quarter lost its date in a couple of years. Many VG buffalo nickels, while being a spectacular artistic achievement, also are dateless.

Btw my answers on this thread were US choices simply because I expected mostly US answers. I doubt many would know my three favorite designs today if I listed them.

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

For you and log...perhaps you are right, my favorite worn coin is one of the large old Victoria copper coins. The look of that silhouette I find pleasing. For some reason, the Barber just doesn't seem to hold integrity as much.

9. HardTruths

HardTruths Member

My top 3 mainly have to do with personal reasons.

1. Nicely toned Buffalo Nickel
    2. 1921 Pilgrim Commemorative
    3. $20 Saint Gaudens w/motto

p.s. I feel like these should be mentioned also, a nicely toned full luster Morgan, Proof Libertads, and the big one that I am currently saving for, "The Tejo" (1943 Gold $50 Peso)..

Draft saved Draft deleted