Top 100 post-1964 mint issues

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by davidh, May 6, 2015.

1. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

They were clearly running out of "coins" as the last 9 on the list are bullion...the last one (#100) with a mintage of 3.6+ million. Gosh, that's pretty "special"... :D

hahaha...

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Maybe they're getting hard pressed for new submissions.

Chris

Coinchemistry 2012 and Endeavor like this.
  5. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Reverse Proof Roosevelt will be on the list soon.

6. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

There are only so many different labels they can make. I'm guessing they will soon be making special slabs. They can sell more boxes this way too!

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What do you mean......"only so many"? How many emoticons are available on the net? How many coloring books are available on the magazine rack? The supply is endless, and how much do they charge for them?

Chris

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  8. Endeavor

Supply is not endless without sales. No money, no supply.

9. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

currently: #20, #34, #35, #72, #86, and #88. used to have: #43, #44, and #65

10. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

This list makes me laugh!

5 of the first six were NEVER issued by the US Mint. With the 64-D is at the top of the list, one has to "wonder" what the motivation behind such a list might be especially since 3of first 6 coins are literally unobtainable dreams.

The list exists solely for the PCGS Top 100 Modern Coins Registry.

11. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Only 3 coins I'm even remotely interested in owning--and only one that I would pay over face value for. (and I already own it...1970-D half) If I happened to notice either of the extra leaf Wisconsin quarters in my pocket change I might pull them out. (but, probably not.)

12. Endeavor

Yea the list is absurd. #1 has none known.

13. 19Lyds

Seriously?

If I found the Extra Leaf Wisconsin quarters in my pocket change I'd definitely pull them out and sell them! Even if for only $10 each!

14. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Yes, seriously. I'm not that interested in them and I would rather let someone who is have the fun of finding them.

15. 19Lyds

No kidding!

I expect that the list will be revamped here in the near future by dropping the 64-D and 22kt Sacagawea's and then adding the 1974-D Aluminum Cent.

And why aren't there any Kennedy Half DDO's on there except for the ever popular 1974-D DDO? The 72 DDO and 77-D DDO's are tough to come by?

Where's the 70-D DDO Washington Quarter?

And the Prototype Eisenhower Dollars?

Oh yeah, that's right. They had to make room for the all the "bullion" error coins. 35 of the 100 are "bullion" coins. There are s-o-o-o-o many more desireable Modern Coins that could have been included such as the Type H Reverse 1969-D, 1970-D, 1971-D and 1972-D Washington Quarters. Aside from the Wisconsin coins, there are virtually NO Washington Quarters.

There's no 1988-S DDO Kennedy.
    No 1992-S Silver DDO Kennedy.

It's kind of a registry set patronization list IMO.

16. brg5658

BINGO! :wacky:

17. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

To all critics and complainers, if you don't like the list - Make Your Own.

I think the PCGS list is probably of coins that have passed through their hands at one time or another and, is perfectly legitimate in that context. It only contains post 1964 (except for one coin) issues. Other lists might be created strictly from Mint reported production records, or circulation coins only, or pre-1964 issues, or whatever criteria you please.

After you have made your list, post it here so we can all tear it apart.

18. Endeavor

No David. That list is terrible. At least for the title they chose to give it (Top 100 Modern Coins). There are many that shouldn't be on the list. Yes, everyone's personal list will get some criticism, but I can't see it being as bad as this list. And they're supposed to be an authoritative figure in the industry which in my opinion makes it worse. Anybody here posting their list isn't as highly regarded probably as PROFESSIONAL COIN GRADING SERVICE.

#1 isn't even known to exist. #5 none are graded by them. Outside of that the list does seem to be coins which they played a part in. Which probably explains why the list is not accurate in the eyes of most collectors. It's biased.

silentnviolent likes this.
  19. brg5658

I'm not trying to market something, so I don't need the gimmick of a "Top 100" List. Our criticism of the list isn't a criticism of you as the original poster. Don't get your britches all in a wad.

Coinchemistry 2012 and Endeavor like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted