Top 10 of 2021 (From FitzNigel)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Dec 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Well, in @Curtisimo’s top 10 index, I contemplated doing two separate lists this year (one for ancients, and one for medieval), but that seems to go against the spirit of the list in my mind. Likewise, I’m putting them in order, and they better like it! Okay, starting with number 10:

10. Frankfurt am Main Turnos
    Med-02-HREFaM-1429-Frankfurt Am Main-Tur-166b.jpg
    HRE - Frankfurt am Main
    The City of Frankfurt am Main (1429-1540)
    AR Turnos, 23.56 mm x 2.65 grams
    Obv.: ○MONETA ♣︎NOVA. Eagle left wearing crown, head breaking the inner circle, within 14 arches enclosing lis
    Rev.: ᛭SIT♣︎NOM’♣︎DNI’♣︎DEI♣︎NRI♣︎BENEDICTV’ outside, ᛭TVRON’♣︎FRANC’ inside, around short cross
    Ref.: JuF 166b, cf. de Wit 2155, cf. Saurmache 1061

One of my goals this year was to delve into more coins of Medieval Germany to force myself to learn more about them. I’m not sure I was too successful. My initial foray began a focus on the coins of Frankfurt am Main. This is partially due to family history (my mother was raised there, and my father was stationed there). This ‘Turnos’ is pleasingly large, and the fleur-de-lis marks between words is a nice touch (I acquired another example with annulets instead of the fleurs, but I think I prefer the fleurs).

9. Germanic Imitation of Constantine
    Med-01-GI-320-Slovakia-CEN-14.jpg
    Early Medieval - Germanic Imitation
    Perhaps Slovakia? (4th Century)
    Two Victories type AE Centenionalis, 18.74 mm x 2.40 grams
    Obv.: OISIIIII’INISIS, laureate bust right with helmet
    Rev.: INNINININNI, two victories with shield and altar, ZXXX in exergue
    Ref.: cf. de Wit 14-16
    Note: An imitation of a Constantine Centenionalis from the 320s. This may have been produced in Slovakia

I have come to learn I am a sucker for imitation coins. These Germanic coins which imitate Constantinian coins have several known styles but are still an enigma. I like the detail visible on this example, and how the blundered legend is clear. In some ways I feel like these coins begin the transition into the Medieval period.

8. Caracalla Provincial from Tarsus
    Anc-10-R4-k0198-Caracalla-Cilicia-AE33-Tarsus-2634rv2.jpg
    Provincial Rome - Cilicia
    Caracalla, r. 198-217 A.D.
    Tarsus, AE33, 32.41 mm 17.96 grams
    Obv.: [CϵYHPOC AN[TΩNϵI]NOC CϵB, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, Π-Π in fields
    Rev.: [ANTΩNIANHC CϵY] AΔP MHT / TAPCOY Γ B, A over MK in fields, lion walking right

One of my focuses in the Ancients realm are the coins of Caracalla. The main focus is sharp portrait denarii (I’m aiming to get one of each year), but about four years ago I stumbled into large provincial bronzes of Caracalla. I’ve also tried to aim for rare issues in addition to large and interesting. This one isn’t quite as rare as some of the others I’ve picked up, but I couldn’t help nabbing that lion.

7. Brabant Petite Denier
    Med-07a-LCB-1210-Henry I-D-7361.jpg
    Low Countries - Brabant
    Henry I, r. 1190-1235 (1210-1235)
    Antwerp Mint AR Denier, 12.86 mm x 0.61 grams
    Obv.: DV X below mounted knight right, holding sword, reins and shield over quatrefoil
    Rev.: Cross of Brabant with a line in each limb and central pellet, in each quarter, pellet-in-annulet above quatrefoil
    Ref.: Roberts 7361, de Wit 1108

Well this coin wasn’t on my horizon, but caught my attention as I was looking for something else. Some of these small deniers from the Low Countries have some wonderful artistic depictions of knights. I enjoy these coins but don’t buy as many as I would like. I don’t often see many come up for sale, so I was happy to grab this one.

6. Republican Rome, by Order of the Senate
    Anc-08-R1-ijj-Piso and Caepio-D-Rome-210.jpg
    Republican Rome
    L. Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus and Q. Servilius Caepio, 100 B.C.
    Rome Mint AR Denarius, 19.29 mm x 3.86 grams
    Obv.: PISO CAEPIO Q, laureate head of Saturn right, harpa behind (Control symbol below? Off flan)
    Rev.: AD FRV EMV / EX S C in ex., the two Quaestors seated left, side by side on bench (subsellium) between two corn-ears
    Ref.: SRCV 210, RRC 330/1a

I have occasionally dabbled in Roman Republican coins. I’m also always on the lookout for coins that connect to topics I cover in my class. Rome’s wheat dispersal issues feature a bit when I cover Republican Rome, so this special issue, authorized by the Senate, which also depicts the consuls, ticks a lot of boxes.

5. Frankfurt am Main Englisch
    Med-02-HREFaM-1429-Frankfurt Am Main-E-185s.jpg
    HRE - Frankfurt am Main
    The City of Frankfurt am Main (1429-1540)
    AR Englisch, 17.90 mm x 0.87 grams
    Obv.: ○MON / ETA / NOV’. A shield with four crowned eagles left
    Rev.: ᛭ANGLIE ○ FRANC FOR DENS’. Floriated Cross
    Ref.: JuF 185s, cf. de Witt 2156, cf. Saurmache 1062
    Ex. N.M.McQ. Holmes Collection, Ex Münz Zentrum Rheinland, Auction 155, lot 3285

This was my second coin from Frankfurt (see number 9). The Nova Moneta of Frankfurt imitated in size and style several international coins. The Turnos imitated the Tournois of France, and Frankfurt also issued their own Hand Heller. Despite the name, the ‘Englisch’ are imitations of Esterlings of Brabant, which themselves are imitations of English Pennies (hence the name). The Englisch denomination is the hardest to track down, so I feel lucky one came up for auction that I was able to successfully acquire.

4. Kilwa Fals of Sultan Sulaymān b. al-Ḥasan
    Med-19b-Kil-1302-Sulayman b al-Hasan-Fal-604.jpg
    East Africa - Kilwa Sultanate
    Sulaymān b. al-Ḥasan, r. 1302-1316; Kisiwani mint, AE Fals, 20.17 mm x 1.67 grams
    Obv.: (Sulaymān son of / al-Ḥasan / (May he be happy!)). Inscription in three lines, star in center
    Rev.: (trusts in the Master / of Bounties / (He is glorious!)). Inscription in three lines, star in center
    Ref.: SICA 10, #604, Walker IV (pg. 65)

This was my first purchase of the year, curtesy of @AnYangMan. These issues from Kilwa fascinate me, and this was a specific issue I was interested in. The star in the middle of the inscription on both sides is a unique feature from Kilwa.

3. Ostrogoth Countermarked 42 Nummi
    Med-01-EM3-500-Anon-N42-1-69.jpg
    Early Medieval - Ostrogoths
    Anonymous (6th Century)
    AE 42 Nummi, 26.66 mm x 9.95 grams
    Obv.: IMP SER SVLP GALBA CAES AVG TR P, laureate head of Galba right, XLII carved upwards to right of bust
    Rev.: LIBERTAS PVBLICA, Libertas standing left holding pileus and scepter, SC in field
    Ref.: MEC I-69, SRCV 2134 under-type
    Note: Countermarked on an As of Galba minted in Rome, Aug.-Sept. 68 A.D.

These countermarked coins straddle the definition of medieval and ancient coins. I did a little write up here. I liked this Galba issue enough that I splurged and bought another countermark of Vespasian.

2. Augustus Provincial from Nemausus
    Anc-10-R4-jid-Augustus-Gaul-DU-Nemausus-I-523.jpg
    Roman Provincial - Gaul
    Augustus, r. 27 B.C. - 14 A.D. (16-10 B.C.)
    Nemausus AE Dupondius, 26.42 mm x 13.44 grams
    Obv.: IMP DIVI F, back to back heads of Augustus right, bare, and Agrippa left, wearing rostral crown combined with laurel wreath
    Rev.: COL NEM, crocodile right, chained to palm, wreath with long long ties above, two palms below
    Ref.: RPC I-523, SGICV 157, SRCV 1729

I think many people on this board have an example of this provincial issue of Nemausus. I had been on the lookout for a nice example at a reasonable price that had a full crocodile on the reverse, and came upon a nice treasure trove at a shop I hadn’t visited in some time. This one fit the bill perfectly (for the price that is…).

1. Athenian Tetradrachm
    Anc-02f-GrAt-fef-Athens-TET-4-1597.jpg
    Greece - Attica
    Athens c. 454-404 B.C.
    AR Tetradrachm, 24.69 mm x 17.24 grams
    Obv.: Helmeted head of Athena right, with frontal eye
    Rev.: AΘE right, Owl standing right, head facing, closed tail feathers, olive spring and crescent to left, all within inches square
    Ref.: HGC 4-1597, SGCV 2526

Well, perhaps not the most exciting or original coin, but I finally joined the Owl club. My criteria was a full nose for Athena (I didn’t care so much about the crest that people obsess over), and that the owl was very sharp on the back, with the dot inside the Θ (I just like it, but don’t know why). The worn die on Athena’s cheek made this one reach my price range after about a year of bidding and losing.

All in all I would say it was a good year, but perhaps not my most original or interesting year. But that doesn’t matter, I’m happy with what I got!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    Nvb, Aethelred, ominus1 and 41 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

You have some wonderful new additions to your collection I especially love the imitations.

FitzNigel likes this.
  4. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

you had a great year, the owl deserves its top spot. I like #9, #6, #3, & #2. I think the XVII is neat and would like one of those... eventually.

FitzNigel likes this.
  5. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice 2021 pickups, @FitzNigel.

I like your Owl tetradrachm, and your Augustus Provincial from Nemausus. Your Republican denarius is very neat as well.

FitzNigel likes this.
  6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I think you should have two lists/ Medieval/ Ancients;) That way we would get to see more of your treasures:) I did one for World 1500-present already/

I like the Frankfurt/ Imperial City coins a lot:D
    John

spirityoda, Ryro and FitzNigel like this.
  7. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Great Owl! That Calpurnius Piso coin has an interesting die engraving style. Great coins.

FitzNigel likes this.
  8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

All great coins but I think I like the barbarous Constantine the best.

FitzNigel likes this.
  9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Perhaps I’ll just post 11-20 here as an addendum…

10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Excellent year!!! And LOVE the idea of an addendum 11-20:wideyed:
    Very fun Germanic Imitation! I purchased this barbaric Constantine (imitating the same reverse as yours) earlier this year as well:
    2048246_1626190796.l-removebg-preview.png

Likewise with Caepio! These coins are chock full of history:bookworm::pompous::cigar:
    I wrote a bit about it here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/so...her-to-servilia-and-grandpa-to-brutus.377279/

image00449.jpg
    And my favorite has got to be your third. Galba is a bad enough dude and a cool coin... but the Ostrogoth graffiti is INCREDIBLE! Great year and thanks for sharing:cigar::cigar::cigar:

11. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great list, very diverse indeed, but you really hit the mark with your perfect owl. Congrats on a great year of collecting.

FitzNigel and panzerman like this.
  12. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Congrats on a great year @FitzNigel I was not expecting 7 of 10 coins to be non-medieval European coins, but they are a great group of coins. My favorite is the petite denier of Brabant. I would like to add a petite denier to my collection one day.

FitzNigel and panzerman like this.
  13. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

All wonderful! My favorite is the Roman Republican. (If I may, there's one typo: harpa, not harps!)

FitzNigel likes this.
  14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I liked thee owl best. #1. Athenian Tetradrachm

FitzNigel likes this.
  15. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Great coins, I like Owl tetradrachm.

FitzNigel likes this.
  16. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I love how eclectic this list is. My favorites are the Germanic Constantine, the Ostrogoth countermarked Galba (I want one!), and the lovely Owl.

FitzNigel likes this.
  17. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

The XLII Galba is my favorite.

FitzNigel likes this.
  18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

From my perspective it looks like a nicely diverse year, although perhaps that wasn't your intention :).

I love the Nemausus and want one like yours, with the ridiculously nonanatomic alligator teeth-- teeth growing upward out of the top of the upper jaw? Why, engravers... why?! :D

The Caracalla/lion ticks my boxes.

Congrats on the countermarked Ostrogoth.

Lovely owl tet.

FitzNigel likes this.
  19. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

What a great mix. My favorite is definitely the Ostrogoth/Galba…pretty amazing that the coin had already been around for 500 years before the Ostrogoths got their hands on it. I also really like that big Caracalla/lion bronze from Tarsus.

FitzNigel likes this.
  20. corvusconstantius

corvusconstantius Active Member

The Nemausus for me! I love when the patina actually "suits" the crocodile!

FitzNigel likes this.
  21. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

In fairness, I would still consider 5 of them medieval, with a sixth straddling the line! The focus is still medieval of course, I just happened to have a couple of big ancient purchases this year!

thanks Donna - I hate autocorrect just ‘fixes’ things without warning, and I don’t often catch them! It should be correct now.

Thanks for the kind words all!

Darius590 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted