Top 10 of 2018 (from FitzNigel)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Sorry boys and girls, I really don't have much time to post ten. But here are a few I really love. Cheers!

The Isaac II is very rare, owner sold it as an Arab Byz: libraries are essential.

The Heraclius Cypriot piece is very interesting as the host coin is Cypriot, the counter strike is Sicily. It really is high grade and remnants of under type present.

Justinian 216 is also quite nice as most of the time they are miss struck. In this case it is fully struck especially the reverse as all devices are fully struck. Picked this one up at the ANA in Philly from an old collector at a very affordable price.

Maurice Tiberius half follis is another treat I'm very happy to have; nice patina and reasonably good strike, and the price was right.

Got to go for now, enjoy what this season has to offer.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I can actually see facial features on that Justinian follis! It's a Byzantine Christmas miracle! :joyful:

4. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Amen Brother, it is a treasure.

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  5. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Great selection of coins! I really like the Maille of Ghent, Frederick II Denari, and that Anonymous Follis, so much that I need to find one!

FitzNigel likes this.
  6. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Wow that Justinian is lovely! Rarely do I see it in that condition. The Isacc II is a great pickup and I agree with you, got to have those references....

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice Medieval line-up @FitzNigel ! Great coins and write ups. Really helps me better understand this time period of a rich history. Thank you.

FitzNigel likes this.
  8. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

Certainly it was a great numismatic year, @FitzNigel!
    Despite I collecting medieval coins too (I must have about 300 coins), in 2018 I only picked up this little italian:
    039BDC3E-F989-4526-890B-A6599E5A4AA2.jpeg 8F7A6A2F-9E7D-44D3-8CB9-2046D8A52685.jpeg
    Ferrara, Nicolò II D’Este (1361-1388)
    Marchesano Grosso.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    TheRed, seth77, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

While it's been nearly a month since I posted my top ten, I only just now finished my 'poster' of the coins I bought or received this year (or, the ones that will find a home in my collection). I did this for the half way mark the previous year, but never updated it for the end of the year as I intended. But here is the full range of my 2018 acquisitions (in order acquired):

2018 Poster.jpg

Johndakerftw, Bing, TIF and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great poster/coins, Fitz.

That Justinian is one of the nicest byzantines I have seen.

FitzNigel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted