Top 10 of 2017 (From FitzNigel)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Although I have a soft spot for Plautilla (never dared telling her because of the husband being easily upset :D), I understand why Caracalla is #1 (I would so much like him to count me as a friend of his :D:D)

Q

Mikey Zee, FitzNigel and ominus1 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Nice varied group. i'm inclined to agree with most, like that Plautilla..i've been just looking at coin of these last few days:)

FitzNigel likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oooh, I love your #1. What an interesting provincial!

FitzNigel likes this.
  5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

The Kilwa coins are fascinating, particularly what they can mean for our understanding of the Swahili coast. There have been some unknown Sultans that came out of the coins, but chronology is still an issue. Kilwa s wasn't the only place in East Africa to Mint coins either - Mogadishu did (and I can't recall the others off the top of my head...)

6. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Huh! That’s pretty interesting. It makes sense that these predominately cosmopolitan areas on the coast would mint coins. It would help to facilitate trade.

FitzNigel likes this.
  7. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

What do the others look like, and are they a different sultan?

8. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Different sultans for Kilwa, but even some of the Kilwa coins have a different design. Here's the one I posted above with another from the same sultan:
    Med-19b-Kil-1310-Hasan Sulayman-Fal-615.jpg
    Med-19b-Kil-1310-Hasan Sulayman-Fal-621.jpg
    The main difference is the border, but the style is a little finer too. Mogadishu Coins look a little different, but are still just Arabic writing.

9. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

What a great top ten @FitzNigel you should be really pleased with your purchases. My personal favorite is the Roger trifollar, I have loved that coin ever since first reading about the Normans in southern Italy. The gold tari is also one I really like. Hopefully your 2018 schedule will allow you more time for CT, the more medievalists the better!

FitzNigel and Orfew like this.
  10. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Following in @zumbly 's footsteps, here's my $1-$100 list (I've avoided adding coins from my top ten, unless they are the only coin in this category):

$1-$10
    Med-05a-FBe-1200-Anon Archbishop-D-4756.jpg
    French Feudal, Besançon
    Anonymous Archbishop, 13-14th C.
    BL Denier, 17.33 mm x 0.7 grams
    Obv.: PTHOMARTIR, starting at 7hr. Hand with two fingers raised in benediction
    Rev.: +BISONTIVM. Cross patee
    Ref.: Roberts 4756

$11-$20
    Med-05a-FCh-1181-Henry II-D-Provins-4727.jpg
    French Feudal, Champagne
    Henry II, r. 1181-1197; Provins Mint, AR Denier 18.4 mm x 1.0 grams
    Obv.: CASTRI PRVVINS. Comb of Champagne, 'V' made of three triangles above, annulet on either side, legend beginning at 10hr.
    Rev.: +HENRI COMES. Cross Pattee, pellet in first quarter, omega in second, alpha in third, and annulet in fourth
    Ref.: Roberts, 4727 variety, De Wit 512-13 variety

$21-$30
    Med-14-INSic-1130-Roger II-Fol-Messina-177.jpg
    Norman Italy - Sicily
    Roger II, r. 1130-1154 (1130-8)
    AE Follaro, 15.47 mm x 1.4 grams
    Obv.: Ρ/Ο/ΓΕ/ΡΙ/Ο Ρ/Η/Σ (Vertically, Σ Retrograde). Roger standing with scepter in right hand
    Rev.: +IC+XC+NI+KA around cross patent
    Ref.: NCKS 226, [MEC 14, 177]

$31-$40
    Anc-09e-R3-k0362-Julian II-AE3-SISC-A-19171.jpg
    Imperial Rome
    Julian II, r. 360-363 A.D.
    AE3, 20 mm x 3.29 grams
    Obv.: DN FL CL IVLIANVS PF AVG. Helmeted, draped and cuirassed bust of Julian left
    Rev.: VOT / X / MVLT / XX. In four lines, laurel wreath around, palm branch ASISC• in exergue
    Ref.: SRCV 19171

$41-$50
    Anc-09b-R3-k0201-Caracalla-DE-54b.jpg
    Imperial Rome
    Caracalla, r. 198-217 A.D. (201 A.D.)
    Rome Mint, AR Denarius, 20.7 mm x 2.93 grams
    Obv.: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG. Laureate draped bust right
    Rev.: PART.MAX.PONT.TR.P.IIII. Two captives seated right and left, mourning at foot of trophy
    Ref.: RIC IV-1 Caracalla 54b, p. 220

$51-$60
    Med-13-IRom-1100-Senate-D-4733.jpg
    Italy - Rome
    Roman Senate, c. 12-13th C.
    AR Denier, 17.26 mm x 0.9 grams
    Obv.: [RO]M[A CAPVT] MV[N]. Legend beginning at 3hr. Comb center, S above with sun to left and moon to right
    Rev.: [SENATVS . P.O.R.]. Cross patee, 1st q. moon, 2nd q. pellet, 3rd q. star, 4th q. V
    Ref.: Roberts 4733 Variety
    Note: Imitative of Champagne

$61-$70
    Anc-09b-R3-k0178-Commodus-D-Rome-5702*.jpg
    Imperial Rome
    Commodus, r. 177-192 A.D. (178 A.D.)
    AR Denarius, 18.78 mm x 3.4 grams
    Obv.: L AVREL COMMODVS AVG. Laureate Head of Commodus right
    Rev.: TR P III IM(P) II COS P P. Salus seated left holding branch over snake rising from altar

$71-$80 (only coin in this category)
    Anc-08-R1-jba-Titurius-D-251*.jpg
    Republican Rome
    L Titurius Lf Sabinus, 89 B.C.
    AR Denarius, 17.86 mm x 3.9 grams
    Obv.: Bare head of King Tatius, SABIN behind, palm branch below chin
    Rev.: Tarpeia facing, buried to waist in shields, with raised hands she tries to fend off two soldiers who are about to crash their shields onto her, star and crescent above, L TITVRI in exergue

$81-$90
    Anc-09b-R3-k0215-Caracalla-DE-268.jpg
    Imperial Rome
    Caracalla, r. 198-217 (215 A.D.)
    Rome Mint, AR Denarius, 19.52 mm x 3.43 grams
    Obv.: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG GERM, Laureate Head right
    Rev.: P M TR P XVIII COS IIII P P, Pax standing left, branch in right hand, long scepter vertical behind in left
    Ref.: RIC IV-1 Caracalla 268 p. 251

$91-$100 (none in this category, but my Plautilla came in the closest at $103)
    Anc-09b-R3-k0202-Plautilla-DE-I-361.jpg
    Imperial Rome
    Plautilla, r. 202-205 A.D.; Rome Mint, AR Denarius, 18.82 mm x 3.15 grams
    Obv.: PLAVTILLAE AVGVSTAE. Draped bust right, hair coiled in vertical ridges and fastened in bun on back
    Rev.: CONCORDIAE AETERNAE. Caracalla standing left, clasping hands with Plautilla standing right
    Ref.: RIC IV-1 Caracalla 361, p. 269

11. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

That’s a great mix, but I love the Durotriges. Pre-Roman British coinage is fascinating, and has some very interesting designs when you consider what inspired their design and the geographic distances involved.

FitzNigel likes this.
  12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow, you got a steal on that French Henry II. I would love to have a coin like that.

FitzNigel likes this.
  13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Excellent mix! Man, not bad for a half year!

Celtic coin is killer, those Norman coins are awesome, that weird Byzantine looking crusader coin is interesting as well!

FitzNigel likes this.
  14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Man, that Plautilla is nice... did I already say that? Great list! :)

FitzNigel likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Your gold tari inspires me to think of one I've had in my watchlist a while (might've mentioned it before). You might just force my hand, there. (Ahh, if only I wasn't so broke!)

I like the Celtic stater, too. Gonna be a while before I get one of those, however.

Nice work. Your list wasn't as medieval as I expected.

FitzNigel likes this.
  16. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I did buy a surprising number of ancients this year. Here is the poster I made at the half way point - only two purchases after this, both of which were ancient:
    2017 Poster jpeg.jpg

I don't have time to count them up (about to leave for work), but I'd say a little over half medieval (unless you count the Byzantines as medieval - that gets into a gray area when it comes to collecting)

TheRed, Kasia, Orfew and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted