Top 10 of 2016

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Well 2016 was a decent year of collecting for me. I acquired 49 ancients/medievals this year, much lower than years past. But I have been distracted with other hobbies as well as world moderns, especially British coinage.

This top 10 features a bit of everything.

My #1 favorite this year is this Claudius/Antonia Tet. I was amazed it sat on ebay with "Buy It Now" for a month at a reasonable price. Pictures weren't great so maybe that's why, but luckily I was able to get it even though it was past my usual weekly budget.

[​IMG]
    Claudius (41 - 54 A.D.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    EGYPT, Alexandria
    O: TI KLA[UDI KAIS SEBA GERMANI AUTOKR], laureate head of Claudius right; LB to right.
    R: ANTWNIA SEBASTH, draped bust of Antonia right, wearing hair in long plait.
    Dated RY 2 (41/2 AD)
    23mm
    11.62g
    Dattari 114; Milne 61-64; Emmett 73.

Probably the #1 modern I have wanted since Childhood. Napoleon is important to history just as Caesar & Henry Viii. So to finally get one at a great price, 5 francs no less, deserves a near top spot.

[​IMG]
    Napoleon Bonaparte (1804-1814)
    France AR 5 Francs
    O: Head right.
    R: Value in wreath, date below.
    Bayonne Mint
    36mm
    25g
    Badoury 583. Dav. 84

Rare Mint for this Date

Although I had one of this type, this one was just a bit better then my old of the type & better date, if your religious, as well as good provenance.
    [​IMG]
    Augustus (27 BC-14 AD)
    AR Tetradrachm
    Syria-Antiochia ad Orontem
    O: KAIΣAPOΣ ΣEB_AΣTOY, Laureate head right
    R: ETOYΣ-ZK-NIKHΣ, Tyche seated right on rocks, palm branch in left hand, river god Orontes swimming right below, YPA monogram, IB / ANT monogram in right field Regnal Year 27 (5/4 BC), COS 12.
    27mm
    14.06g
    Prieur 51; RPC 4152; McAlee 181
    Ex David Hendin, 2004

Note: The ZK breaking the reverse legend is the regnal year 27, IB is for consulship 12. Minted in what is possibly the year of the birth of Jesus Christ.

A very tough reverse to get, was very excited to add this rare type to my side collection. Will 2017 finally yield the "Vota Outside Wreath" reverse?
    [​IMG]
    Lucilla (162 - 182 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: LVCILLAE AVG ANTONINI AVG F, Draped bust right.
    R: CONCORDIA, Concordia standing facing, head left, holding patera and double cornucopiae.
    Rome Mint
    19mm
    3.27g
    RIC III 760.

Ex. Cabinet Numismatique, Genève.

Been on a real Victoria kick this year, one of my favorites I got is a short lived denomination, the Double Florin.
    [​IMG]
    Queen Victoria (1819 - 1901)
    AR Double Florin
    O: Crowned and veiled (Jubilee) bust left.
    R: Sceptres divide crowned arms at corners.
    22.6g
    36mm
    KM# 763

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A condition upgrade really for same price I paid for my old beater.
    [​IMG]
    Aquilia Severa (220, & 221 - 222 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: IVLIA AQUILIA SEVERA AVG, Draped bust right.
    R: CONCORDIA, Concordia standing facing, head left, holding double cornucopia and sacrificing with patera over altar to left; star to right.
    Rome Mint
    19mm
    3.02g
    RIC IV(part 2), pg 47, #226 (Elagabalus)

Scarcer with "Star in Right Field".

Picked this one up real cheap, but I just really liked the toning. Dark silver is one of my favorites.
    [​IMG]
    Nero (54 - 68 A.D.)
    Billon Tetradrachm
    EGYPT, Alexandria
    O: NERW KLAY KAIS SEB GER, radiate head right, aegis on chest.
    R: AYTO-KRA, draped bust of Alexandria right, wearing elephant skin headdress; date LIB to right.
    Alexandria, Egypt. Dated Year 12 (65 - 66 A.D.)
    12g
    25mm
    RPC 5289; Milne 238; Dattari 204; Geissen 172; Sear 2004.

Have a sixpence with a decent portrait, but got this in a trade and to be a schilling is a plus compared to the common pences.
    [​IMG]
    Elizabeth I (1558 - 1603 A.D.)
    AR Schilling
    O: ELIZABETH : D : G : ANG : FR : ET : HIB : REGI, Crowned bust of Elizabeth left; bust 6B.
    R: POSVI DEV: ADIVTORVM • MEV:, Long cross over shield.
    Second Issue, 1560-1561.
    32mm
    5.5g
    Mint mark: Martlet.
    Spink 2555.

Picked this up in John’s weekly auction. Always liked medievals and the history of this fellow is sad, but appealing.

This coin also led me to go on a buying spree of various other French Blancs during these last few months.
    [​IMG]
    Charles VI "The Mad”, (1380 - 1422 A.D.)
    AR Blanc Guénar
    O: + KAROLVS: FRANCORV: REX; Shield of arms.
    R: + SIT: nOmE: DnI: BENEDICTV; Cross with two crowns and two lis.
    2.9g
    29mm
    DuP 377

Gone through various Caracalla tets over the years, but to have acquired this for a measly $36 shipped in regular eBay bidding, and to be a better Laodicea ad Mare Tetradrachm, it’s a no brainer for a top 10 placement.
    [​IMG]
    Caracalla (198 - 217 A.D.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    Laodicea ad Mare, Seleucis and Pieria
    O: AYT K M A ANTΩNEINOC CEB, laureate head right.
    R: ∆HMAPX EΞ YΠATOC TO ∆, facing eagle, head left holding wreath in beak, star between legs.
    27mm
    12.5g
    Prieur 1179

Honestly I will not be placing any goals this year like years past. 2017, I plan on just being a year of adding whatever appeals to me, Ancient, Medieval and even World Moderns.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

That is a wonderful top 10 Mat. I am partial to the Napoleon, the Elizabeth Shilling, and that Augustus tet.

5. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

A nice little group, Mat! I quite like the Napoleon as well. That's one of the handful of modern coins that I'm still interested in picking up an example of and that's a very attractive example.

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Good group! I like the Lucilla especially.

Looking at the monogram I would say it has the whole work YpiATO (the dot that croses the A is also the O). Mine from a different year has the T of the monogram hanging on the other side of the Y. Instead of the Consul number I got double dating Actian 36 and Caesarian 54.
    gi0015fd3323.jpg

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Great coin year @Mat

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice diverse group of coins mat, i think a modern coin will make it in my top 10 as well.

i'm with DS, i think the lucilla is my favorite, but i dig those tets and that elizabeth coin as well...great color.

9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A wonderful top 10. I really like the toning on the Napoleon and Victoria. All are very cool though.

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Atta-boy, Mat => wow, those are 10 great additions!!

Hmmm, my favourites are the Chubby Lucilla and I also like that sweet Alexandrian Nero (very cool eye appeal)

:rolleyes:

11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

An eclectic Top 10! I'm partial to the Lucilla as well.

12. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

A nice selection, and very well presented I must say!
    Looks like you has a good numismatic year-

13. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

That Claudius tet is my favourite of the bunch too. Looks like you had a year full of numismatic variety!

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The augustus tet is sweet. Nice coins man!

15. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful group @Mat !! I especially LOVE the Lucilla!!

16. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Im surprised many like the Lucilla best since it's the usual "standing god" reverse. Boring concordia to boot!

17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Mat , YOU are the reason that I capture several coins. I seem to get inspired by some of your great pick-ups, and you have pointed me into some great directions for my captures. These are all great Historical coins, and are super examples. Congrats, thanks for showing, but my pockets are empty because of your influence.... :D

18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Lol, no problem. And thank you for the Lucilla too ;)

stevex6 and Alegandron like this.
  19. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Great acquisitions for the year!

20. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I didn't know you collected World coins as well. I think I remember you posting the Napoleon before...my favorite is the Augustus with Tyche reverse. My time as an Ancient collector hasn't actually found it's focus so here's hoping you find plenty of interesting types for 2017.

Loong Siew likes this.
  21. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great, eclectic group - I'm also drawn to world coins with important history, in addition to world coins that are struck using ancient techniques. Super eye appeal on the Lucilla!

Draft saved Draft deleted