Top 10 Choice 2021-continued

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Nov 24, 2021.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Hello again. Here are the remaining 5 coins of the year top choice:
    I- Caracalla bust right. Reverse shows crown prizes on a wooden ancient table during sport games in Tyre.
    II- Struck in Damascus, The coin has Salonina head right on obverse. There's a wreath with inscription on reverse. No reference for this coin, so far.
    III-The reverse of this coin depicts the sacred altar of Elagabalus in Homs (Emesa) of Syria. Julia Domna is on obverse, head right.
    IV- This coin shows Septimius Severus facing his son Caracalla. Reverse reveals the temple of Astarte in Berytus-Phoenicia.
    V- Finally Augustus Caesar (Octavian) is shown head right. Reverse has Europa, sister of Kadmus being abducted by Zeus who was disguised in the shape of a bull on the shore of Sidon- Phoenicia, according to the Legend. The coin was struck at Sidon. RPC 41009.

CaraTyre 2 O  crown prize.JPG CaraTable R   sports games.JPG Salonina O.JPG Salonina R      Damas.JPG Julia Dom O    Altar Homs.JPG JulElagab R     BMC 10.JPG Cara ClearSeptim.JPG CaraBeryts R.JPG EurAugustus  RPC41009.JPG EuropaAug R  Sidon.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The Domna Emesa is, to me, by far the winner of the bunch! Great coin. Wish you had larger pictures of it.

Spaniard and 7Calbrey like this.
  4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like that sacred altar at Emesa too
    Well done

Q

7Calbrey likes this.
  5. 7Calbrey

@TIF and Cucumbor .. I'll try to search for the Emesa coin in my folders and photograph it tomorrow at day light, with bigger dimensions and clearer details. Cheers..

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes the Domna is tops without question. I have nothing like it. The Actian games coin is good, too, and reminds me of my Septimius that honored both Actian and Pythian games.
    pi0780bb1874.jpg

7. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Your Julia Domna coin (#3) is my favorite. I like the designs on both sides of the coin.

7Calbrey likes this.
  8. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coins but it looks like we are all in agree the Domna Emesa is the stand out, congrats on a fine collection.

7Calbrey and panzerman like this.
  9. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

The Julia Domna is also my favorite! Thanks for sharing:)
    John

7Calbrey likes this.
  10. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

For me the winner is your Octavian from Sidon :happy:

7Calbrey likes this.
  11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I, too, think the Domna from Emesa is very special, but I also like the Augustus from Sidon and the unlisted Salonina.

panzerman and 7Calbrey like this.
  12. 7Calbrey

Thanks for all your comments again. Here's a larger photo of Julia Domna and the sacred altar of Elagabalus. The coin weighs 9.74 g.

Altar Emesa.JPG AlterJul O.JPG

panzerman, John Anthony, TIF and 4 others like this.
  13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

All very interesting types in attractive grades, congratulations!

7Calbrey likes this.
  14. Factor

Factor Well-Known Member

Love Domna, great condition for the type

7Calbrey likes this.
  15. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Glad you posted a larger picture of Domna.....By Far a sweet looking coin..

7Calbrey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted