Top 10 (2021)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

Great group, Claudius.
    Difficult year or not, it looks like you managed to add some very nice coins.
    I really like them all, but the Maximinus II and the Julius Caesar are the eye-catchers for me.

Good luck in'22!:)

Clavdivs likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What a fun group and list! Reading why you bought each coin really adds interest.

My favorites:

The Menaion Serapis/biga-- very dynamic, as you mentioned.

Justinian follis-- massive! I love large flans, particularly when there is a dotted border that is entirely on-flan.

The JC denarius for its history and notoriety, of course :).

The Maximinus II is just lovely.

I'll stop now or else I'll have included your whole list :D.

4. singig

singig Well-Known Member

For sure the last two coins are the winners, but I also enjoyed the beauty of three other coins : Julian II , Marcus Aurelius and Maximinus II. Congratulations !

Clavdivs likes this.
  5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great coins @Clavdivs . My favorites are the Justinian follis and the Julius Caesar. Great year for your collection. :)

Clavdivs likes this.
  6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Wow, what a stellar coin year for you! I love each and every one of the last five listed, but I'm particularly envious of the Octavian/Antony denarius... one of those has been on my wish list for a long time! I certainly wouldn't describe it as "very rough," it's a fantastic example.

It seems suitable to post a Claudius coin, so here's one of mine I haven't posted to the board very often:
    claudius minerva.jpg

7. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Nice group of coins. The Justinian Follis is my favorite.

Clavdivs likes this.
  8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice selection of coins! I like the Menaion and the reverse detail of the Maximinus II. And of course a Mark Antony/Octavian (I regret selling mine a few years ago) and JC elephant denarius are always great additions to a collection. Congrats!

Clavdivs likes this.
  9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Fantastic acquisitions for your collection!! Of course, I gotta love the elephant denarius. My favorite, though, is the Marcus Aurelius Concordia dupondius. It's a lovely coin! And that big ol' Justinian follis! Excellent year!

Clavdivs likes this.
  10. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

What an interesting and diverse group of coins! I truly like it.

In my eyes, the Maximinus Daia with the Sol reverse is particularly beautiful.

Clavdivs likes this.
  11. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Who wouldn't love that elephant : he must be happy too, as it looks like he's jumping !

Q

Clavdivs likes this.
  12. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Jealous of that Octavian and Marcus Antonius! What a historic coin!

Clavdivs likes this.
  13. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Thank you for all of the responses... this one comment struck me as particularly true :) .. as the last 2 coins on the list do NOT fit in with the rest of my collection. I certainly "reached for the skies" in obtaining them.. for the next couple of years I will be back to my bottom feeding best as my working class dollars fund already super rich institutions of higher education. Despite this I look forward to more fun!!!

14. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Fantastic year! Congratulations with your acquisitions, it's a very interesting and varied list. I like the detailed reverse of the Marcus Aurelius dupondius. And the two imperatorial denarii are icing on the cake.

Draft saved Draft deleted