Top 10* - 2020(Herodotus)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Herodotus, Dec 12, 2020.

?

Pick 3 favorites?

1. Seleukid Kings, Antiochos VI Dionysos/Elephant

2. Seleucis & Pieria, Pseudo Autonomous, P. Quinctillius Varus Zeus/Tyche seated w/ River god

3. Trajan/Felicitas Sestertius

4. Augustus/PROVIDENT As

5. Sicily, Akragas, Crab/Eagle

6. Kings of Parthia, Orodes I/Horse

7. Pontos Amisos, Mithradates VI Eupator, Athena/Perseus

8. Spain, Castulo, Male head/Bull

9. Byzantine, Class A Anonymous 'Christ King of Kings'

10. Nero Claudius Drusus/Claudius seated Sestertius

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure that I would be able to get around to doing this list with how busy I've recently been with a 6 mo. y.o. son in tow.

My interest in collecting ancient coins began around this time last year. Since then, I've dove head first into the hobby; with an exuberating excitement bordering on obsession.

There are a lot of other coins that could have made this list. This easily could have been a Top-50, or even a Top-100. Yet, for space and expediency, I have decided to do this Top-10* of coins that I actually possess pictures of... Well... One Top-10 in AE, and one Top-10 in AR.

I have a whole bunch of coins that have yet to be photographed. I hope that I will be able to find the time in the coming year(s) to do proper pictures of my coins, and continue to have the opportunity to share them here.

Some of these are my poorly done photos, and some are seller's pics that I cropped/replaced the background.

(In no particular order)

Elephant6.png
    SELEUKID KINGS of SYRIA. Antiochos VI Dionysos. 145-142 BC. Antioch mint. O: Diademed and radiate head right
    R: BASILEWS ANTIOCOU EPIFANOUS DIONUSOU, elephant standing left, holding torch in trunk; ΣTA above cornucopia in right field.
    SNG Spaer 1772-3

Varus5.png
    SELEUCIS and PIERIA, Antioch. Pseudo-autonomous issue. temp. Augustus, 27 BC-AD 14. Æ Trichalkon.
    Struck under P. Quinctillius Varus, Governor of Syria. Dated year 25 of the Actian Era (7/6 BC).
    O: Laureate head of Zeus right
    R: Tyche seated right on rocky outcropping, holding palm branch; at feet, river-god Orontes swimming right; EK (date) in right field.
    RPC I 4252

Hadrian.png
    Trajan. AE Sestertius. Rome Mint. Struck 114-117 AD.
    33mm 26.24g.
    O: IMP CAES TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI P P Laureate and draped bust of Trajan right.
    R: SENATVS POPVLVSQVE ROMANVS S C Felicitas, draped, standing left, holding up caduceus in right hand and cornucopia in left.
    RIC 671

DiviAug5.png
    DIVUS AVGVSTVS. Died 14 AD. Æ As. Struck under Tiberius, circa 34-37 AD.

O: DIVVS AVGVSTVS PATER, radiate head of Divus Augustus left
    R: Large S C across field, Altar with double paneled door; ornaments on top, PROVIDENT in exergue.
    RIC I 81 (Tiberius)

Akragas2.png
    Sicily Akragas circa 450-406 BC. AE Tetras

O: Eagle standing right, tearing at hare held in talons
    R: Crab, three pellets and crayfish left below
    SNG Copenhagen 75

Parthia5.png
    KINGS of PARTHIA. Orodes I. 80-75 BC. Æ Dichalkon.

O: Bust left, wearing tiara decorated with with six-pointed star; circular border of pellets and ear flap.
    R: Horse galloping right. ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΜΕΓΑΛΟΥ ΑΡΣΑΚΟΥ ΑΥΤΟΚΡΑΤΟΡΟΣ ΦΙΛΟΠΑΤΟΡΟΣ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟΥΣ ΦΙΛΕΛΛΗΝΟΣ
    Sellwood 31.11

Perseus3.jpg
    PONTOS, Amisos. Mithradates VI Eupator. Circa 85-65 BC. Æ 29mm

O: Head of Athena right, wearing Attic helmet
    R: Perseus standing facing, holding harpa and Medusa’s head; Medusa’s body at his feet, monograms to left and right.
    HGC 7, 357

Castulo.png
    SPAIN, Castulo. Mid 2nd century BC.
    O: Laureate male head right
    R: Bull standing right, crescent above.
    SNG BM Spain 1264.

JKK4.png
    Anonymous Folles. temp. Basil II & Constantine VIII, circa 976-1025. Æ Follis. Class A2. Constantinople mint.

O: Facing bust of Christ Pantokrator
    R: + IҺSЧS/ XRISTЧS/ ЬASILЄЧ/ ЬASILЄ in four lines; square ornament above and below.
    SB 1813

Drusus5.png
    Nero Claudius Drusus. Died 9 BC. Æ Sestertius. Rome mint. Struck under Claudius, AD 42-54.
    36mm 28.05g.
    O: Bare head left
    R: Claudius seated left on curule chair, holding branch and scroll; below, weapons and armor on either side of globe.
    RIC I 109 (Claudius)

I've gone ahead and added a poll to this thread for these 10 AE coins. Feel free to pick your favorite 3.

My Top-10* AR coins will have to wait.. Hopefully to be posted before the end of the year.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I voted #10, #8 and #3

#10 because who wouldn't want a Nero Claudius Drusus, especially with such a good portrait

#8 : well, that bull is pure strenght, and the style on engraving is excellent

#3 for its gorgeous patina

Thanks for sharing
    Q

4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Herodotus, The Trajan sestertius, #3 is my favorite with great eye appeal. Love that jade-like patina :D. The Drusus sestertius #10, gets 2nd place, & 3rd place goes to the Byzantine A2 follis, #9 with the attractive portrait of Christ & strong inscription on the reverse :cool:.

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Fantastic acquisitions for your collection this year. I had to go with the Nero Claudius Drusus, the Trajan sestertius, and the Perseus holding the Medusa head.

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..all great coins....the Drusus & Trajan take the cake, with Antiochus lV winning show...:)

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I have to go with, in order, numbers 10, 3, and 7.

8. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

An excellent list rich in numismatic variety. The Trajan and Drusus sestertii are true highlights in my eyes.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

5 has always been a favorite of mine.

Look again at the coin. It clearly reads ZK not EK so it is year 27 not 25. Did you by chance cut and past a description you found online from a similar but not matching coin? Cut and paste can be hazardous.

10. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I voted 4,5 and 10. I like coins of Augustus, Tiberius and Nero. I also love coins with ancient crabs and crayfish. Usually these are found in fossils. Awaiting your silver..

11. singig

singig Well-Known Member

I really like your Drusus sestertius, perfect size, well centred, complete legends.

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I really enjoy the VARIETY, @Herodotus ! Sorry, no vote from me. I really never vote for "best Ancients", cuz they are all good! Each coin has a cool story...

CONGRATS

13. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Fantastic 10, love them all but that Trajan's eye appeal is wonderful. Congrats.

14. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Amen to that! It has caused me plenty of grief over the years!

15. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Great collection already @Herodotus - congratulations! Of course, my number one selection is the Drusus sestertius - an exceptional coin in my opinion.

16. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Nice selection!....I went for the Trajan, Castulo and that lovely little elephant....Congrats on a good year!

17. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Nice! Can hardly wait for your AR top ten.
    Thanks for taking time out of your busy life to post em!
    John

18. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

I love the Trajan in particular, and also very fond of the crab/eagle and the Seleukid elephant. Great selection.

19. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

Yes. I actually have a few coins of this type that I acquired in a large lot of Seleukid AE coins.

The attribution was from a different coin of mine that has the EK date. In haste making this post, I copied the attribution of that coin.

All of my collected data for attributions has been found online and sourced from various sites. I do my best to compile, cross-reference and confirm information; w/ the understanding that some attribution/info on the internets is not always reliable -- Especially when it comes to nailing down sub-types of coins.

Thanks for the observant eye for details and correction. I appreciate the importance of factual information. I try to proofread as best I can to verify info before posting here. There is benefit to having more than one set of eyes on something to confirm that info is indeed correct.

One of the primary reasons that I enjoy this site is not only due to the knowledge/experience represented here, but the friendliness of the members to be helpful, and their willingness to share from their personal expertise.

nicholasz219 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted