Tools of the Modern Numismatic Trade

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, May 18, 2012.

1. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That should be left to the TPG graders.

4. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

well I love this photograph if nobody else does. It was Doug who taught me to use a magnifying glass on the photograph of a coin.

Ruben

5. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

So I am supposed to believe you have been wallowing in the corners rocking while saying "There's no hope for him. There's no hope for him. No hope. No- What is this!!?? Hope has been restored"

:)

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And it's a good one :yes:

Ruben I read the Britannica, every volume, cover to cover, when I was about 7 years old. And that was just one encyclopedia, I read many other sets as well. I used to read them for fun.

One should not be daunted by information just because there is a lot of it. And that especially applies to information about coins ;)

8. areich

areich America*s Darling

Hello GDJMSP (that is hard to remember):

You do realize that you would be almost unique in this form of discovery, and even more so into the future since the Britannica is no longer going to be published. You bring up, however, an interesting point, that one of the great advantages of books is the ability to randomly browse through them. But I do profess that I believe this would be a difficult means for me to learn about foreign coins.

I'm interested in Dutch coins of the golden age. It is my area of expertise in the arts and I'd like to add coinage to that body of knowledge.

Amanda

9. GDJMSP

Define the "golden age' for me - specifically what time period ? I ask because maybe I can help you, recommend certain books.

10. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

You too? My Mom bought me a set when I was about 7 as well, and I would just grab a volume at random and start reading. Its a great way to simply sit down and learn something you don't know. This is what I love about a good library. I still do this. Sometimes I don't read a coin book I buy for a few years, but one day I get in the mood to read about Nabatean, Indo-scythian, Roman Republican, or Elymais coins. I go to my library, read and learn. :)

No knowledge is ever bad knowledge.

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

>>BLINK<<

Carnal Knowledge?

12. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Lust er

13. areich

areich America*s Darling

1578 until 1672?

14. GDJMSP

Kind of figured that was around the time frame you were talking about, the start of it anyway.

Unfortunately the books are mostly written in Dutch or French, so unless you can read those languages, or learn to, you're going to have a hard time. But there are 2 books in particular that will be immensely helpful. And they will help solve the language issue. They are - Le Benelux D'Or (french) De Gouden Benelux (dutch) by A. Delmonte. And - Le Benelux D'Argent (french) De Zilveren Benelux (dutch) The Silver Benelux (english), also by A. Delmonte.

The silver book, being written in all 3 languages, makes it much easier to learn how to translate the gold book. But both of these books are rather expensive and neither of them is easy to find. But they can be found.

Meanwhile, you can find some useful information here - http://www.cointalk.com/t14057/

Not all of the links still work, but as I explained in another part of the Numismatic Resources section, you can still access most of them by using the internet archive system.

And, any questions you might have, feel free to ask, start another thread or several if you like. I used to collect Netherlands coinage from this period, have written about some of it, and have some books beyond those I mentioned. You can also take a look at my albums here on CT to see pics of some of the Netherlands coins I used to own.

15. areich

areich America*s Darling

Thank you. I have some people familiar with Dutch around me, but they my not like being nagged. I'll look at those resources.

Mandy

16. GDJMSP

As I said, you can ask me questions anytime you want. I enjoy helping people ;)

17. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

We had a complete set of World Book Encyclopedias, including the Child Craft set that was extra.

18. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

really you mean it? :D

there are still a few questions left from before you know

19. goldducat

goldducat Active Member

areich - I am actually quite skilled in this subject, so here you got primary (in my opinion) set for 1578-1672, hammered coinage period. You did not specified which province coinage you are interested in, so here is complete set for all provinces:
    1. L. W. A. Besier, „De muntmeesters en hun muntslag 1574-1813”, reprint Rotterdam 1972
    2. Rob K. S. Beute, „Middeleeuwse en Provinciale Munstlag in Harderwijk”, 2003
    3. Rob K. S. Beute, Stadsmuseum Harderwijk, ”Munten van Gelderland”, 2008
    4. Marek Budaj, ,,The Kosice gold treasure'', 2007
    5. Chijs P.O. van der, „De munten der Frankische- en Duitsch-Nederlandsche Vorsten”, Haarlem 1866
    6. Chijs P.O. van der, „De munten der voormalige graafschappen Holland en Zeeland”, Haarlem 1858
    7. Chijs P.O. van der, „De munten der voormalige graven en hertogen van Gelderland”, Haarlem 1852
    8. Chijs P.O. van der, „De munten der voormalige heeren en steden van Gelderland”, Haarlem 1853
    9. Chijs P.O. van der, „De munten der voormalige heeren en steden van Overijssel”, Haarlem 1854
    10. A. Delmonte, „Le Benelux D' Or / De Gouden Benelux”, Amsterdam 1964
    11. A. Delmonte „Supplement au Benelux D' Or / Supplement op De Gouden Benelux”, Amsterdam 1978
    12. J. Fortuyn Droogleever, „De driesteden muntslag Deventer – Kampen – Zwolle” 1986
    13. J. Fortuyn Droogleever, „De driesteden-muntslag, een merkwaardige Overijsselse overeenkomst in de XVde en XVIde eeuw”, Overijsselse historische bijdragen, p. 71-84, 1979
    14. J. Fortuyn Droogleever, „De vorstelijke en de stedelijke muntslag te Deventer”, Deventer 1982
    15. H. E. van Gelder and M. Hoc, ''Les monnaies des Pays-Bas bourguignons et espagnols'', 1434-1713
    16. H. Enno van Gelder, „De Nederlandse munten”, Utrecht /Antwerpen 1965
    17. J. H. Kluiver, P. Scherft, A. A. van der Poel, „Gids Tentoonstelling Munt van Zeeland 1580-1980”, Middelburg 1980
    18. Jean-René de Mey, De Zeeuwse munten", Bruxelles 1969
    19. Kees Pannekeet, „Catalogus Gelderse munten”, 2007
    20. Kees Pannekeet, „Catalogus Westfriese munten”, 2007
    21. T. Passon, „De stedelijke munt van Nijmegen 1457-1704”, Nijmeegs Museum „Commanderie van St. Jan” 1980
    22. T. Passon, „De Muntslag van de Rijksabdij Thorn”, 2003
    23. T. Passon, ''Catalogus van de Nederlandse munten'' 2009
    24. D. Purmer, A.H.N. van der Wiel, „Handboek van de Nederlandse Provinciale Muntslag 1573-1806 Deel I: Holland, West-Friesland, Zeeland en Utrecht”, 2006
    25. D. Purmer, „Handboek van de Nederlandse Provinciale Muntslag 1568-1795 Deel II: Gelderland, Friesland, Overijssel en Groningen”, 2009
    26. Albert A. J. Scheffers, "De Nederlandse dukaat (1586-1986)", Naarden 1986
    27. Constant Antoine Serrure , „Histoire de la souveraineté de ‘s-Heerenberg”, 1860
    28. Constant Philippe Serrure, „Notice sur les monnaies d'or de l'ancien duché de Gueldre”, Bruxelles 1847
    29. Peter Verkade, „Muntboek, bevattende de namen en afbeeldingen van munten, geslagen in de Zeven Voormalig Veerenigde Nederlandsche Provinciën”, 1848
    30. W. J. de Voogt, ''Bijdragen tot de numismatiek van Gelderland'', 1869
    31. H. J. van der Wiel, „De stedelijke muntslag van Zwolle”, 1994
    I listed really about 10% of all of my books about Dutch coinage, this set is minimum to have an idea about whole GOLD coinage from period you asked about. In addition, you should look for Delmonte's "Silver Benelux", or maybe even more about silver coinage, and you feel ready to study this.

By the way, almost all books are in Dutch only, few of them, like Delmonte's books, are in Dutch and other (usually French or English) language. For me the best are Yearbooks of the Royal Numismatic Society (Jaarboek Koninklijk Genoodschap voor Munt- en Penningkunde) published since 1893. Better than many of these books when you are looking for very detailed information :)

20. GDJMSP

I said I enjoy helping people spock. I'm not sure you qualify :D

21. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Btw, Doug said these can be found. If anyone ever wishes to know resources to check let me know. I know all US auction houses of numismatic books. If you are patient that may be the cheapest alternative. Other places like Abebooks and the like tend to be higher priced.

Draft saved Draft deleted