Tooled Key Date Mercury Dime on Ebay

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rbm86, Sep 19, 2004.

1. rick

rick Coin Collector

Besides that, if I were still an ebay buyer, then I would be much more interested in getting my money back, if I felt the goods were not to my satisfaction, than I would be about posting a negative feedback... Either way, I am not likely to use that seller again, so I would rather have my funds back than use a tool that doesn't effect me one way or another...

does that make sense, or did I babble?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Maybe in this guys case but not ours.

We have had this happen to us many times. Feedback extortion works both ways and if a buyer snipes they couldn't care less about negative feedback so they have nothing to lose.

That "eBay Secrets" CD that surfaces on eBay all the time until it gets pulled, tells buyers how to extort from sellers that leave feedback first. It even has sample emails.

Wrong!

You are saying here that the buyers only responsibility is to pay for the item. This is not true.

Buyers responsibilities...

1. Read the description.

A huge percentage of buyers don't read the entire description.

A. We clearly state that we do not accept Paypal from unconfirmed addresses. We received 3 payments today alone from unconfirmed addresses. I don't leave neutral feedback for these buyers. They deserve it though, they're wasting my time because they shirked their responsibility.

B. The buyer receives the item, leaves a negative about a defect that was clearly indicated in the auction. Positive transaction because they paid? No.

C. Buyer selects Media Mail (which is clearly explained) as their shipping. Leaves neutral because shipping takes 2 weeks. Positive transaction because they paid? No.

2. Pay in a timely manner. Buyer pays 3 weeks after the auction, a payment reminder, and NPB alert. Positive feedback because they paid?No. They deserve a neutral, but I leave a positive anyway.

3. Handle the transaction professionally.

Feedback is a rating of the transaction. The transaction is not over until the item is received and evaluated. And it never will be.

Say you own a furniture store and someone comes in and pays you for new furniture to be delivered the next day. You have 3 guys at $15/hr load the truck and drive this 11mpg gaz-guzzler 30 miles to discover that even though they promised you they would be home, they're not.

Are you having positive thoughts right now? I think not. But they paid you, what's the problem?

The transaction is not over just because payment is made. Ever.

Bobby (Susan's hubby)

4. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Susanlynn

I've never met a customer who pays on time I didnt like .;)

5. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Is it just me or does Ebay seem to make this whole buying and selling a bit hard? There is NO WAY to make everyone happy in this world. We have clients that will buy coins from us, and weeks or months later call and tell us that JOE BLOW COINS is selling the same coin for X amount cheaper, or X grade better. We have many long term customers that still complain with every purchase, but won't leave us for anyone.
    Some people enjoy the complaining. Some are very honest and have legitimate complaints. The only thing that you can do is stand behind your sale. Do so in the most distinguished way possible. An honest person with morals and integrity is very difficult to find these days. When you do find one, the price means very little in determining a sale. A good coin dealer is only seperated by the bad ones by their attitude and their willingness to stand behind their merchandise.

6. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Hi Bobby

Thats all cool what you had to say, but we live in a real world with real people with real things going on, with all types of people those who are very careful in their business and those who are not,those who are extremely hard to satisfy and those who are not, Lets be honest here, selling coins is a customer service oriented business,Just as a point of reference, I sold coins 2 weeks ago to a person in florida, the pan handle of florida, I did not wait to hear from them, I contacted them and told them to be safe first and conduct business later,no problem for me, they were the ones in a real life drama,, would they have thought to ask me, NO ,should they have NO ,, customer service is where its at , the bottom line.

26 year veteran of a customer service business,,

7. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

That's a lovely sentiment, but I just looked at your feedback (assuming you sell under Metalman). The last negative you received was from a buyer who never bothered to email you to resolve a problem and just left a negative. Do you think this would have happened if you had not left feedback yet?

8. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

I agree. Our customer service is phenomenal. But what does this have to do with leaving feedback first or not? I don't understand your post.

Bobby

9. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

It's not just you. Ebay makes a lot of transactions harder than they need to be. And you're right, you can't please everybody - but we try as hard we can. That's about all anyone can do. :)

10. rick

rick Coin Collector

Bobby, I see your point, but I just don't agree on this one. As a customer on ebay, my side of the transaction naturally ends first... so why shouldn't I get the feedback first?

Can you realistically expect the customer to be honest on a rough transaction - even if the seller were at fault - if they knew they would get a nick on their rating (on top of a sour transaction)?

Beyond that, can you honestly say that you would turn around and post a positive rating for someone that left a negative - even if they had done nothing wrong in the deal?

It just wouldn't happen. Like I said, I have never had a bad ebay experience, so I've been lucky enough that this has not been an issue for me, personally - even then, though, when a seller waited for my feedback before posting in kind, the message was pretty clear to me.

11. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Susanlynn
    You know what happens when you assume ? I do not sell under metalman, that is my nickname in here !!!

Iam not here to promote my ebay sales !!!

12. Metalman

Metalman New Member

The point is as sellers we do not control the real life of people we sell to , do they owe us explainations, Not really , some will give them some are not as open,

things happen that are absolutely not controllable, the way we treat people will invariably give those who are slovenly in business the benifit of the doubt and make those who are legimate feel important and respected, will this guarnatee positive feedback, No but it doesnt hurt either.

13. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Please don't take offense. I know you are not here to promote your sales. Neither am I. That was not my point. The fact is that we have a very happy customer base with incredibly few problems. We have never refused a return and have always worked with our customers if they were unable to make timely payment. We have even let buyers back out of a transaction due to "buyer's remorse" when we did not need to do that. As the saying goes, if it's not broken - don't fix it. We have had no complaints regarding feedback from our customers. We have not even had a customer ask for us to leave feedback first. It is extremely rare for our customers not to leave feedback. Although there are those who disagree with our policy on this issue, there is no reason for us to change it as it has always worked well for us. We have never in the past and won't in the future try to take advantage of anyone. We have not used the feedback system for extortion. I know that some have - but we can't be held accountable for those dishonest sellers. I think it's time to agree to disagree.

14. jody526

jody526 New Member

Hi bobby,

You say that you have had "many" buyers try to obtain concessions through feedback extortion?
    That may be true, but I can't help but wonder what kind of idiots are bidding on your auctions.
    I have talked to many selers about this same issue, and I think there was one that said that had happened to them on one occasion.

Now, about the buyer's responsibilities.
    When a buyer bids on, and wins an auction, he has entered into a contract with the seller.
    That contract is determined by the seller's terms of sale, and eBay's guidelines.
    Now, either that buyer fulfills the contract, or he doesn't. If he does, then there is only one reason for a seller to withold feedback. That would be to make sure that they can leave a retalitory neg, should the need arise.
    If the buyer does not fulfill the contract, and no resolution can be had, then it is the seller who needs to let other sellers know about it through feedback.

You seem to attract a high percentage of clueless bidders. (according to your post)
    I can't help but think that there must be a reason for that.

15. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Ummm. You're proving my point. There is no way for me to know if they're going to fulfill thier contract (i.e read my TOS) until they receive the item.

Not in a while because I don't leave feedback until the item is received.

Bobby

16. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

You took the word 'many' and turned it into 'high percentage'. To me 'many' is 10 or so which translates into .54% right now.

It seems you're suggesting that something in our auctions attracts idiots. Please tell me what it is. I gotta hear this explanation.

We have a tremendous amount of repeat "idiots". Please, tell me what to do to stop this.

Bobby

BTW.. Do you have any experience as an eBay seller?

17. rick

rick Coin Collector

Take for instance the person that purchases goods from you as the seller... he gets the item, and he isn't real pleased, but he figures he got what he paid for, more or less. He isn't unhappy, and even though s/he feels like the item was a little over stated, it wasn't all that expensive. He doesn't want to hassle with it, but feels like a neutral feedback is warrented.

If this person paid well within your terms...

what feedback does s/he get?

18. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

ND, I know this thread got hijacked, but what are your thoughts on the tooled dime? If this seller were an ANA member, what would the ANA do?? Slap on the wrist, or 2-year suspension??

19. Wankler

Wankler New Member

As a "Used to be heavy buyer" and moderate " Seller", Ebay has only come to bite me in the ars when it comes to coins. I have been baboozled a few time recently on some Morgans and Liberties, and am more and more reluctant to buy now.

I am a prompt buyer, and in return, expect promt service and feedback. I WILL NOT leave feedback until I have been given it as a buyer. I just think it is rude not to leave feedback for the buyer after the seller has been paid. I say to myself, " Hmmm, what are they holding back for, to see if I...... give positive feedback? They must not be confident of the coin they sold me."

It just bothers me. And, there are to many scammer out there now.
    Chris

20. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

He gets a neutral - not because he left a neutral but because he didn't contact me if he was unhappy. Our terms clearly state "if you are unhappy for any reason", therefore, he should have contacted me. There was no reason for him to not be satisfied with the transaction. A problem is not a problem unless it is not solved. We ALWAYS solve every problem brought to our attention, no matter how small.

rbm is right - this was not the original purpose of this thread and I and my husband have made our terms and reasons very clear. It is an "agree to disagree" situation and I do not feel the need to defend my TOS. We have a very happy customer base - that should speak for itself. I'm sorry if you all disagree, but I see no reason to continue on this subject.

21. rick

rick Coin Collector

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to make you feel like you were defending yourself. I was just pointing out the way I see things... I hope I didn't come across rude. If I did, I apologize - no harm was intended.

Draft saved Draft deleted