Took?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by DISDIK, May 20, 2020.

1. DISDIK

DISDIK Member

I have a few questions..first if u bought uncirculated rolls when opened should they all face the same way? My next question is if i bought a coin set "one year rarities" coin collection the coins should be proof coins? And definately no wear on them correct? Ty

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Took? Whats that mean?

1- No
    2- If they were sold as a proof set.
    3- If they were sold as a proof set.

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. DISDIK

DISDIK Member

Took meaning did i just get screwed lol...this is what i bought how would i know it was to be a proof set

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  5. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

It depends how the set was advertised. It is an after market put together set, not something from the mint. If they were advertised as proof, then you got took. If not, then you probably got what you paid for.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Those coins are by no means Rarities. They a not Scarce coins . They are not even Hard To Find coins. They are very common due to mintage numbers and are
    worth face value. In my opinion.

masterswimmer and paddyman98 like this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Proof coins from the mint are encapsulated to prevent damage.

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Buy the book and you won't get "TOOK"! reading is fundamental in this hobby.
    Without propper knowlege you're throwing good money after bad.

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Buy

A Guide Book of United States Coins by RS Yeoman. Commonly called the Redbook.

It's primarily marketed as a price guide, but since it’s only updated once a year the absolute prices may be lacking. However, you can get a good idea which dates are better relative to the others.

The great thing about the redbook, is it’s filled with all kinds of info. Mintages, mintmark locations, weights, compositions, a little history, and even basic grading criteria for circulated coins. I would be willing to bet that nearly every experienced collector on this site who started with US coins had one early in their collecting life. It will be the best $10-15 you’ll spend on the hobby

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Where does it say that the set in your photo is a proof set?

If that is what you think, then.........
    YOU GOT MOSSED!.jpg

DISDIK and BuffaloHunter like this.
  12. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Hope you didn't pay more than 96 cents for them. Heck I will move it up to $1 for the packaging. All those coins are easily found in circulation, minus the steel cent but yours was reprocessed which makes it basically junk.

DISDIK likes this.
  13. AdrienH

AdrienH Yet Another YN

Everything there is worth face value except the steel cent.

DISDIK likes this.
  14. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

On the bright side, if that's the last mistake you make, you're doing better than of most of us.

Beefer518, DISDIK, Paddy54 and 2 others like this.
  15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

My LCS would have sold them for less than $3.00.

DISDIK likes this.
  16. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

The set is an set put together by someone or some company to sell as a gimmick.
    You can buy these plastic holders that have these kind of labels. None of the coins are rare or proof, and likely not even uncirculated. I found a set that looks a lot like the one you have. No mention of any proofs or even that the coins are uncirculated.

https://www.americancointreasures.com/Unique_One_Year_Rarities_p/187.htm

DISDIK likes this.
  17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, many third party collections like this are sold to make the person or company money. If you want to display a decent collection of 'type' or 'year' coins then a low cost display such as yours is nice, but when you see words like "rare, unique, one of a kind," or other such labels, it is just a selling point and not to be taken as a fact. The set you shared in the photo is one of the above put together to make someone else a profit. Live and learn as you go. I think we have all made one or more questionable purchases, especially in the beginning. Good luck in the future and welcome to CT.

john65999 and DISDIK like this.
  18. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think the 1943 cent has been replated and has no numismatic value.

DISDIK likes this.
  19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Sorry, hang around and read on here a bit...entertaining and might keep you from getting took.

DISDIK likes this.
  20. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I think it's happened to all of us, but speaking for myself, I've been "took" numerous times. I've bought cleaned coins, coins with nicks out of the edge that were cleverly hidden, coins that looked really great under the lighting of the sales floor, but when I got them home I was wondering what the %#$%@ I was thinking. I've bought coins that look great in hand, but when I get them home and put them under magnification they look ravaged by a small rabid weasel. And so on and so on. You get "took" and you learn. That's the unfun part of the learning process.

john65999 and DISDIK like this.
  21. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

If you bought that aftermarket set for much above face value than you probably got took.

DISDIK likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted