Took a plunge and got myself a Trade Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Vroomer2, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

Yeah it's a common 1878-S.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saw several proof Trades at last weekend's coin show and they were super awesome looking.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikes4ever

ikes4ever Senior Member

congratulations on a nice coin

4. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Nice one Vroomer.
    I did the same a year or two ago.I just felt like I just "needed" one.How did you verify that yours is authentic?

5. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

This one looks kindof funny----could you get some stright on shots??....this is a commonly faked date IIRC.

Speedy

6. satootoko

satootoko Retired

For your sake I sure hope that coin has been harshly cleaned at some time in the past.

The only other explanation I can think of for those surfaces - especially the reverse - would be casting bubbles.[​IMG]

7. kendo

kendo New Member

IMHO the coin is fake.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Vroomer:
    Sorry, but I agree with the assessments, 1) the coin appears to be harshly cleaned; and 2) ?'able authenticity.

I hope that it was from a reputable dealer.

9. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

I just picked up my first Trade Dollar on Monday, it was an 1875-CC in VG-8. Not the most common of dates.

I agree that your coin looks funky. Congrats if it is real

10. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

Noticed that too. That's why I think you all see some "bubbles". There are a few HEAVY contact marks on her as well. On the reverse over the "E" in "E Pluribus Unum". On the Obverse over the "I" and "R" in LIBERTY. :headbang:

And I trust my dealer. He even had some counterfiet trades and a casting die trade to show me. Not For Sale of course, but for reference.:eek:

Speedy, I will try today. My "camera" is actually one of the first generation Panasonic DVD Camcorders (2003 vintage). :eek: You can see how super awesome the pictures are. :vanish: /sarcasm off/

Regardless, I wanted a trade dollar, fake or not. :kewl: Picked up a MCGS MS-63 1882-O Morgan from him as well. :kewl: :kewl: :thumb:

11. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

Ok, circled some, what I think are, key points you all are zeroing in on.

Green circles don't show up to the naked eye

Yellow circles are of items that are of dirt.

Red circles are contact marks.

[​IMG]

Holding the coin, the two contact marks around the wheat bundle and the one over the "I" in LIBERTY look like someone took a tool and punched down really hard.

12. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

That's a tough one... It appears to have been harshly cleaned but maybe it's the camera settings as the background looks like the color (white?) balance has not been set properly. I would definitely get a hands-on second opinion.

Take Care
    Ben

13. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Vroomer,
    Having gone through this same questioning from myself and the fine folks here after I bought mine,there is really only one good way to settle it.Send it in to ANACS for grading/authentication.I sleep a lot better since I did.
    I don't want to "pile on" but the fields on your trade dollar have orange peel ripples that shouldn't be there,no matter how many contact marks there are.Should be flat as glass...here's mine,contact marks galore! but smooth.

Attached Files:

14. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

Nah it's that every raw coin I post, everyone says they're fake. :rolling:

When I get my coins back from the PCGS. I'm going to take pics of them in their holders and post the pictures of the same raw coins before I sent them in. Then, after everyone says every single raw coin I've ever bought is fake, I'll post the graded coin pics. :goofer:

I manually set the white balance before all pictures. Again, I use a 1st generation DVD camcorder (Summer of 2003 build date) being used as a camera. From the manual: "Up to 0.31 Megapixels Still Shots"

So, you're all getting 0.31 Megapixel pictures on the boards. Top shelf in my book... :rolling:

15. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

What color (actual) is the surface the coin is setting on?

Ben

16. Speedy

Yeah---sorry about that---it might be because you like collecting coins that are faked alot ;)
    That being said---if your dealer is trusted and knows fakes then that is ok---these coins are hard to find in any grade and there are a ton of ways to fake it....don't worry about it but I would get another dealers thoughts on it sometime.

Speedy

17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

As Speedy said: Trust your dealer, and then send them to a TPG. If there is a problem, he should honor your return.

18. Speedy

Well its like this---I trust my dealer as much as anyone but yet I think he misses some coins sometimes---I bought a Clipped Nickel once---I was pretty sure that it was a fake clip and so I bought it and showed some photos here and sure enough I think that is what most people thought it was---my point is that even the best dealers can miss a coin sometimes---as a matter of fact--my dealer just bought a nice 1916-D Dime raw---I told him that I would be interested in it IF he would send it off...the mintmark looks wrong and I don't want to buy it unless I know for sure.

Speedy

19. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

I just got back from my coin dealer and he has an 1878s in VF condition marked $175 but will sell to me for $150.I almost went for it but chickened out at the last minute.If it's still there on payday two weeks from now,I might go for it.
    Vroomer,all we're saying is get a second or even third opinion.Hopefully it's just the pics and your coin is the real McCoy.:thumb:

20. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

It seems like trade dollars are the #1 most often faked coin. Why is that?

21. ikes4ever

ikes4ever Senior Member

vroomer dont feel bad i still say its a nice coin

Draft saved Draft deleted