Took a chance on an unslabbed Wreath Crown.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Neil UK, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Neil UK

Neil UK Member

So, I have a somewhat complete 1662-1970 UK type set (no gold).
    Still need some $$$ high value pre-George III crowns, Gothic crown etc.
    I took a chance and bid/won on a non-slabbed 1929 George V crown.
    I know that there are probably more fake Wreath Crowns than real ones out there, but the seller (not a coin guy) made a good case for why it is most likely genuine.
    Here's a question: I'd like to get it slabbed through a PCGS dealer in my area.
    PCGS has pretty steep membership fees and I'm not really a 'slab collector' so the $69 membership fee seems unnecessary to me as I don't plan to be slabbing any more coins.
    Has anyone gone this route?
    Should I buck up and just pay the fees?
    Plus, I should add, I'll most likely remove it from the slab when it comes back genuine and graded (hopefully AU58) $_12.JPG
    Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

There are users on here who can help you with this endeavor but it seems like a waste of time and money to submit the coin if you're just going to break it out of the slab, anyway. I would take the coin to a jeweler to get it weighed if you don't have a scale of your own that weighs down to the gram and post high resolution photos of both sides of the coin on here for Cointalk's seasoned members to look at. They can also give a good idea of a grade. Basically, I would only consider submitting the coin for grading and authentication if elements of the coin stand out as suspicious after having done the aforementioned suggestions.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    swamp yankee and afantiques like this.
  4. Neil UK

Neil UK Member

Thanks for your reply.
    It would be mostly for peace of mind as these crowns have a high incidence of forgery. Plus, I could go back to eBay for a refund if it comes back as not genuine.
    And of course I will weigh the coin when it arrives (but that isn't such a meaningful thing as counterfeiters can get easily get the weight right).

5. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

Not without enlarging the coin. I did the same with a '28 from a seller busting someone's entire collection. It payed dividends, I also managed to get a lot more good crowns from him including Australia's 1938 type. All weighed, measured using a caliper, pinged nicely and my favourite test.. The ice cube. An American friend told me of it. Since silver is s good conductor. Hold the coin by its edges and run a cube into the centre of one side, it should be almost immediate the cold sensation from the cube, then the whole coin should be cold not just in places.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Several thoughts:

1. If you just want authentication, showing the coin to a respected dealer who specializes in this type of material would probably be far more cost effective (i.e., free).

2. If you *really* want to get the coin slabbed, and you only have one coin, again talk to an authorized PCGS dealer. They will send the coin in for you (you'll have to pay the certification fee, but won't have to actually join).

3. Don't ever send world coins to PCGS. They are wildly inconsistent with the grades, and I wouldn't trust them for the authentication either. Only send world coins to NGC.

4. I think there is a TPG that specializes in British coinage (I think they may be based in Britain). I forget their name, but they might be a good alternative to the American TPGs, for this material.

5. If you can post high quality images here, there's a good chance that the members here can give you a lot of information for free.

Neil UK, swamp yankee and NOS like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted