Too nice for price... counterfeit?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GenX Enthusiast, Sep 25, 2019.

1. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

Hi guys, I'm looking at an 1826 Capped Bust 50c and these denticles don't look right. What say ye? iYM73LfSQ9me5cLzH4kRpE8i6gyKMB.jpg

Paddy54 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Color seems off

Noah Finney likes this.
  4. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I agree about the denticles. That alone would keep me away from this coin. We have some experts here. I'd like to see their opinions. (And other identifying markers).

GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It looks OK to me, at a glance, but the pix are kind of small.

If it's a counterfeit, it is a fairly sophisticated one.

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

An o 104 ? R-3

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    GenX Enthusiast and micbraun like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

If @Paddy54 think's it's OK, that's good enough for me. He and I were having a conversation about Bust coinage just yesterday, as a matter of fact.

Paddy54, Prez2 and GenX Enthusiast like this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Looks good to me from those images.

9. GenX Enthusiast

Thank you for all your replies!
    The coin has a lot of things I like; Lettered edge, a tad of color (she's for my type set, so a bit questionable is OK as long as it's an authentic coin) and she's quite a bit better lookin than anything else around her price range.
    What would a decent offer be in your opinions?

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Genuine, dies are fairly worn but nothing wrong with the denticals.

mill rat41 and GenX Enthusiast like this.
  11. Paddy54

Rob
    I truly apperciate the vote of confidence, but no expert here....what is here is an eye for detail,and the wisdom to research .
    Looking over a coin one must first have an eye for details be they good or bad.
    Then using the knowlege one does have to go research and read !
    Then when one is sattified with ones decision then post .....realizing that you are human and subject to error!
    If you make a mistake learn from it own it.....if you are correct no need to rub anothers nose in it!......" unless the other has made a mistake " and refuses to own it.
    I do take seriously when incorrect data is posted since the answers are out there if one only seeks them out.

12. Paddy54

This coin like the half dime in that thread has been dipped to remove album toning . The color is due to being dipped! So yeah the color isn't natural....but probably has not been since it toned dark in an album.

13. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Denticles seem weird cause those dies were worn out when struck. I think possibly cleaned but ok

Paddy54 and GenX Enthusiast like this.
  14. GenX Enthusiast

Thanks to @Paddy54's quick attribution, I was able to find this page. Very cool, thank you! Still don't know what a good offer would be if anyone would venture a guess. Out of my league;)

Oh, and apparently the later die stages are the most scarce, and the first thing that attracted me to this coin was the stars and letters melding into the edges. Neatest thing ever.

http://www.maibockaddict.com/1826-o-104-r3-capped-bust-half-dollar.shtml

Paddy54 likes this.
  15. Paddy54

You're very welcome ....if I can assist in the future feel free to pm or just ask.:cigar:

16. Paddy54

I offer 10% over grey sheet....that's a fair offer, and would only be refused by most dealers if they were under water in the specimen.

Draft saved Draft deleted