Too Good to Be True?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinman1234, Oct 1, 2017.

1. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

At an antique shop half an hour from my house is an 1868 Shield Nickel, graded PCGS MS-66, for only $250. This is a place that mainly sells furniture, pocket watches, jewelry, worn Morgan Dollars, Wheat and Indian Head cents, and other random old objects. Tomorrow I am going to check the number and see if it checks out, I am very apprehensive, I have never spent over $100 on a coin. The slab looks fine, hologram and everything, and the nickel is beautiful. Do you think it is the real deal, or a Chinese fake? I will let you guys know tomorrow night. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

No way to take any sort of guess, but that price is low. I'd certainly go into it being suspicious

coinman1234 likes this.
  4. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

My suggestion is that you download a free app before going to check it out. The app is called CoinFacts and is sponsored or run by PCGS. While the app has a few features of interest, perhaps the most helpful in your situation is the barcode scan. Using this should help in the authentication process.

After you're satisfied the coin is legit, don't be afraid to haggle. They expect it, and it's all part of the fun!

coinman1234 likes this.
  5. coinman1234

I hope to haggle, and get the app CoinFacts. Sadly, they only allow haggling on items over $100, but luckily this coin is eligible for this.

aubade21 likes this.
  6. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

That would be a great deal! Make sure everything on the slab matches with the cert verification, I'd be very careful about it but if everything seems right Id definitely jump on it.

coinman1234 likes this.
  7. howards

howards Shield Nickel Nut

Post a photo if you buy it.

If you have a smartphone, bring it with you and compare the coin against these pictures.

One obverse (Obv. A) for shield nickels:

[​IMG]

(Yes, the photo is of an 1866 but all of the devices are the same for 1868. Note that the outer leaf on the second leaf cluster right varies in shape (it is hand engraved).

Two reverses for 1868 shield nickels (Rev. IIa and IIb, pictured in that order):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The difference between the two reverses can be seen in the positioning of the stars relative to the letters.

SorenCoins likes this.
  8. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

This will be a good one to follow. I hope it turns out for you.

9. baseball21

Honestly I wouldn't bother. It's so under-priced if it's legit that there's no reason to push his luck with it.

green18, ToughCOINS and SorenCoins like this.
  10. SorenCoins

Where do you find listings for shield nickel design varieties? Also is IIa or IIb rarer?

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

In 66 that's a $1000 coin.

coinman1234 likes this.
  12. coinman1234

Another dealer there has a 1908-1912 RI licence plate for $65, does anyone know if this is also fair. Going tonight to see if coin is real.

SorenCoins likes this.
  13. SorenCoins

I mean the difference in cost and price if you get it for $250 is $1,150 so Id do it if it all matches. Wish you luck!

14. coinman1234

I went there, it seems like I read it wrong, MS63, 1866. Oh well!

15. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Uhhhhhh, @coinman1234
    Numismedia lists that coin @ $430 !!
    Still a great deal, that you could probably flip for a profit, even if you sold it 2 a dealer !

The 1st year w rays examples are extremely popular plus there is a RPD 1866/1866 worth a few grand in that grade. Not to mention a nice DDO worth a premium.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  16. baseball21

250 is still under-priced for a 66 in PCGS 63.

coinman1234 likes this.
  17. howards

howards Shield Nickel Nut

The photos are from my web page here:

http://www.shieldnickels.net/hubs/hubs.html

At the bottom of the page there are links to obverse and reverse photos.

IIb is less common, because it is a one-year type. IIa was used for three years. Neither design is rare by any stretch, both are common.

SorenCoins likes this.
  18. coinman1234

It was also not even PCGS, a very old ACG slab. I got confused with some other slabbed coins in this case. An embarrassing mistake. Is an 1866 ACG MS-63 for $250 a good buy?

19. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

lol that's why the answer to thread titles such as this is always "Yep!"

coinman1234 likes this.
  20. baseball21

I would have walked away from that too

coinman1234 likes this.
  21. coinman1234

Yup, I am going to leave it, I read that unless it is a big company, it is pretty much raw. I saw some decent size contact marks on the shield lines, it looks more like an MS-62 to me. Sorry for the thread, there wasn't even a MS-66 1868 anyways, I guess you live and learn.

Draft saved Draft deleted