Toning

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MrBubs, Feb 19, 2017.

1. MrBubs

MrBubs Member

I love anything Walker so I collect Am Eagles and I don't get the premiums on toned Eagles but who am I to tell people what they like.
    My question is what and how does it take to tone an Eagle and r they done artificially and how can u tell?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

Like with any coin series you have to know the packaging and determine for your self what is natural toned. Plenty of Artificial toned coins in PCGS slabs dont give them any thought. American Silver Eagles are .999 silver and highly reactive with cardboard and other types of coin storage methods. It comes down to looking at as many coins in original packaging, cardboard holders and albums as you can. After a short while you begin to see what natural progressions of the color should look like and when something is just off. Dont accept opinions accept facts.

Examples.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  4. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Some collectors like toning. Others do not want a toned coin. Each persons view of eye appeal is different.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Don't accept opinions, accept facts.

Or, maybe.....

Don't expect opinions, expect facts.

Or, maybe.....

Don't accept opinions, expect facts.

Take your choice!

Chris;)

6. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

Fixed thank you lol

[​IMG]

Paul M. likes this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

it's all what someone is willing to pay on it. to me it's bullion and should not get a premium. buyers on Ebay will pay more for it.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Natural toning on every coin, not just ASEs, begins at the moment the coin is ejected from the coin press. How fast or how slowly that toning occurs and in what form it occurs depends on more variables than you can count. It can be as fast as a few weeks to as long as several decades.

Are ASEs artificially toned ? Absolutely ! Can you always tell if they are artificially toned ? Absolutely not. Can you tell sometimes ? Yes, but typically only when the person who did the artificial toning didn't know what they were doing.

People have mentioned facts, OK, here's a fact. If artificial toning is done by a skilled person absolutely nobody, and yes I do mean nobody, and yes that includes every person reading this, can say with any degree of certainty that the coin was artificially toned. The very best anyone can do is guess.

Paul M., Kentucky and Rheingold like this.
  9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I wish more people would realize this. There are so many different climates and to many people act like there is one standard. Toning is really attractive or not, mother nature can do a lot to things quickly in the right enviroment

eddiespin, Paul M. and Kentucky like this.
  10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well, that's why I have written it so many times. Unfortunately a common response is that some want to argue with it. And what they don't realize is that there is no argument even possible for that is one of the few things that are actual facts regarding toning.

Paul M. and Kentucky like this.
  11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Can't argue with any of that. There are entirely to many variables

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Make the same statement and substitute clean...uh...conservation.

13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

There is no such thing as AT, either a coin is market acceptable or not.

Kentucky and Paul M. like this.
  14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

So, you are saying that if a coin is not market acceptable it cannot be AT because there is no such thing as AT.

Chris

15. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I can tell you from experience that ASE's such as the ones you posted are very REAL. I have two ASE Dansco albums full of extremely toned ASE's and I have submitted some of them to TPG's and they came back MS-67-68 and fully toned. I lived in Hawaii and the SALT in the air caused my Eagles to tone VERY fast. I guess it really depends on where you live and how you store them. I am no expert but this is my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted