Toning that I like

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by USS656, Oct 22, 2019.

1. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Never seen these holders before today but I like what they do to coins!
    upload_2019-10-22_22-23-39.png
    upload_2019-10-22_22-24-9.png
    upload_2019-10-22_22-24-36.png
    upload_2019-10-22_22-25-12.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Are they yours? If not, where did you see the photos? On the 1967 set someone tried to obliterate the words "PROOF SET". Obviously they were made to hold coins but I've never seen them before this.

USS656 likes this.
  4. MixtureNo79

MixtureNo79 Active Member

I have many coins that have been in holders similar to that which developed similar toning. It seems to be any of the old cardboard/plastic combination holders where you "push them in" that do that (over many years).

Just speaking from experience.

USS656 and thomas mozzillo like this.
  5. thomas mozzillo

Those Kennedy Halves are beautiful. IMO I don't think you could artificially tone a coin to look like that. (But some coin doctors can do anything).

Sunflower_Coins likes this.
  6. thomas mozzillo

Those Kennedy Halves are beautiful. Would but them in a heartbeat if I saw them for sale.

7. USS656

They are part of a collection I am going through and selling for a coworker. These will end up in my collection. There are three sets in total and based on the collection these have probably been in the holders since they were released from the mint. Love the toning on not only the Kennedy's but some of the other coins as well. I may reload them and tuck them away for another 50+ years.

8. USS656

Checkout this nickel from the 64 set, my pictures do not capture how nice the toning is!

20191023_093102.jpg
    20191023_080341_resized.jpg
    20191023_093109.jpg

9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Nice. Love the old cardboard album type toning

10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I have a 62 set in that holder that's a sixty vintage holder. It was a snap case plastic hinges,and two job catch in front. Yes that black cardboard did do a number on coins toning.

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yep, those are classic holders and well known to sometimes produce great toning. I've bought a few sets in those myself, even though it's not something I collect. If you can find one that was carefully selected, you can get some great coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted