Toning on Silver Dollars (1887 & 1989)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinismatics2000, Apr 11, 2024.

1. Hi!

My 1887 silver dollar seems to have a golden tone around almost all letters, Liberty and the Eagle. Why does this happen? does the effect the value? or the grade?

The 1989 Walking Liberty also has toning though this is only on parts of the rim and is more of a golden brown colour rather than a brassy yellow seen on the across the face of the 1887.

As I am writing this I am noticing slight toning on the 1885 O dollar too!

I am reading about all different types of toning, artificial toning, collectability, value...

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Toning on an ASE is usually not desirable. The coin may benefit from conservation to prevent the occurrence of terminal toning. The Morgan dollar is probably best left alone. JMO

Coinismatics2000 likes this.
  4. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The sort of toning on both pieces does nothing to enhance the value. I would get some quality, non PVC flips, store them in those, and not dip those coins.

6. Yes correct the ASE is uncased. As this cant be aging, what may cause this toning?
    I think I need to go back to chemistry class!

7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Think of what happens to you sterling or silver plated utensils. They tarnish in the atmosphere. The same thing has happened to those coins.

8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

The Eagle looks to me to be environmental toning. The Morgan is more natural and even in toning, I like it. The dates and mint marks are the value not the toning at this point.

9. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

…and tarnish from atmospheric exposure is “oxidation”. Get it? Oxygen. Oxidation.
    Your protection was imperfect and air got to the coin over time, which is almost a perfect definition of aging. …imo…Spark

10. Barney McRae

Barney McRae Supporter! Supporter

Regarding the ASE, I've a few of them younger than that that have some minor toning. What's odd is that both tubes of 20 coins are 2000 ASEs, still sealed in the original US Mint airtight soft plastic tubes.

11. My thought is theyve been exposed to sunlight or something like that... i cant see it being impure silver...?

Very interesting!

12. Barney McRae

Barney McRae Supporter! Supporter

These are kept sealed in the tubes in an air conditioned area. And dark enough to grow mushrooms. lol

Draft saved Draft deleted