Toning is corrosion!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TypeCoin971793, Jul 8, 2018.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Nature loves transition metals, and wants them to be in happy, committed relationships.

Jaelus and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

There are many ways

4. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Thanks for doing that! It's like I've tried to impress on my boys as they were growing up: "Some of the greatest gains in knowledge is through experience,...but it doesn't have to be your experience. You can learn through others." :happy::happy::happy:

This is one of those cases! :rolleyes::joyful::p

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Experimenting is fun :)

I have (had-- exchanged most for ancient coins) dozens of pounds of junk silver, US coins pulled out of circulation and worth only melt or slightly more. I kept a few handfuls just for posterity and fun. With a few of them I played around with toning. This one came out very pretty. I should get it out and see if it has changed much in the last ~3-4 years.

CoolTonedPeaceDollar.jpg

Liver of Sulfur with or without electricity is probably what they use.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You don't have to worry too much about those guys - I mean they are telling you. It's the other guys who really do know what they're doing that ya gotta worry about. And a lot of them do it with gasses - which makes the coins completely, 100% indistinguishable from naturally toned coins.

7. TypeCoin971793

This is what I found the best method to be. The chemistry and physics are exactly the same, just over different time scales.

8. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

I love it when the same dealer has a dozen rainbow toned coins.
    If that doesn't indicate artificial toning I don't know what would.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Well, it COULD indicate a long time selecting and collecting, I suppose. But in that case, they would be markedly different from each other.

10. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

It is upsetting because it is just another way a great hobby is corrupted.
    It would be nice to be able to put together a toned collection but now you cannot do it with any confidence.

Thanks scammers, please die in a fire.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

"There is nothing good in this world that dedicated scammers on the Internet cannot ruin."
    - My One and Only IT College Prof (adjunct, after my degree)

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
    - Obiwan Kenobi

Gregg likes this.
  12. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I’m majoring in Corrosion Engineering, and when I started four years ago, I thought I’d be able to have a better understanding of toning on coins. If there’s one thing I’ve realized about the wonderful world of corrosion, it’s that nothing is typical and there are always exceptions (but isn’t it that way with anything scientific?).

Under “normal conditions” (standard temperature and pressure, relatively low concentrations of reactants, etc.), the passive silver sulfide film should prevent most subsequent corrosion from occurring unless the electrochemical potential becomes high enough for pitting to begin. Evidently in environments with very high sulfur content and high temperature, the passive film gets massacred. Evidently there is some other corrosion mechanism that comes into play at higher temperatures. I guess I’ll learn more about this in my high temperature corrosion class next semester.

Out of curiosity, did you use pure sulfur to do this or some other sulfur-containing compound?

Theodosius, -jeffB and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  13. TypeCoin971793

F7801D0F-F5A5-439A-8D85-7313B617941D.jpeg

14. -jeffB

I LOL'd at the "Non-GMO" label. If there's one thing I hate, it's those doggone chalcogenetic engineers with their Franken-elements...

Kentucky and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  15. TypeCoin971793

I was curious about that since it was never an organism to begin with, much less a genetically-modified one.

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

17. -jeffB

I know that "everything's made of chemicals" is a tired comeback, but I still kind of wish Monsanto and the rest would add a prominent "Non-GMO" label to every retail container of Round-Up...

Oldhoopster likes this.
  18. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Hey, some transition metal dichalcogenides are kind of cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Now for the kicker, I first saw people doing that over 20 years ago. And they had already been doing it for quite some time.

I posted many years ago right here on this forum that the only difference between artificial toning and natural toning is intent. A great many people scoffed at that then, a great many still do. But that is because it is something they simply do not wish to believe. Because if they do believe it, well, it's kinda like the poker player who gets bluffed even though he has the winning hand. And that's a feeling they are simply not willing to face.

But here's the bottom line - it doesn't make any difference ! Ya see, a well done AT coin is just as pretty, just as beautiful, as an NT coin. Nobody, absolutely nobody can tell one from the other, not by eye, not with knowledge, not with any scientific test. And that's because they are exactly the same - the only difference is intent !

20. V. Kurt Bellman

Again, winnah, winnah, chicken dinnah! But then again, my "intent" is ALWAYS to avoid it and prevent it. Toning, that is.

21. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I'm almost in your camp. I'll accept a small amount of toning if a coin otherwise meets my criteria. But I never actively seek out toners and would never pay a premium for one under any circumstances.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted