toning in mint wrapped rolls

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by silentnviolent, Jul 26, 2015.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Guys, the mint itself does not roll the coins. They have a private company that does it for them. The coins are sent from the mint in ballistics bags to the private company. They then roll the coins and ship them directly to the distribution center. When purchased, the mint sends the address of the buyer to the distribution center and has them ship to the buyer.

As for the toning and what causes it, it has just as much, or more in some cases, to do with the conditions and storage methods at the home of the owner as it does with the paper and other packaging materials. That is why some people's coins have visible or noticeable toning and other people's coins do not.

Can the coins in the entire roll tone ? Absolutely.

Can the coins in the inner roll not show noticeable toning ? Absolutely.

Storing coins in paper rolls is nothing new, the practice has been used for decades. And over that time period collectors have tried every trick they could ever think of to stop the coins from toning. Very, very, rarely were they ever successful.

Years ago there a member of this forum named Catman, he was a friend of mine who lived in Las Vegas. He had been a cent collector his entire life and he loved to keep rolls of cents. From the early '50s on he tried everything to stop the coins in the rolls from toning. In the '60s somebody came up with the idea of removing the coins from the paper rolls, wrapping them in a layer of aluminum foil, and then reinserting that into the paper roll and storing the coins. Around 2001 Catman decided to open some of those rolls that had been stored for 40 years. The end coins were toned, the inner coins were not, at least not noticeably so. Nothing else he ever did worked.

He is the one and only person that I ever heard of, and he ever heard of, who had any success with this method. That is because there is a danger with this method. Should any moisture, including moisture from the humidity in the air, get to the coins, a chemical reaction between the aluminum foil and the copper coins would occur, and the coins would be corroded.

Bottom line all coins tone to some degree regardless of what they are stored in, or how they are stored because the only thing necessary for toning is the air. And all coins are exposed to the air. Yeah you can open a roll and say they don't look like they have toned, but they have. It's just that the toning is minimal. Place a freshly minted coin next to it and you'll see the difference.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

I kind of figured that but didn't know for sure. Thanks for the clarification.

So as @silentnviolent pointed out that the pics I uploaded of my damaged end coin and roll wasn't a mint wrapped roll, its sounds like none of them are "mint" wrapped. Could what happened to my end coin happen then to any perceived "mint wrapped" roll. I had always assumed that my wrappers (seen in the pic I uploaded) were tied to the mint in some way just because of the purdy artwork (like I said, was more naive back when I ordered these). Would they say "United States Mint" on them if they were of the pedigree and process of which you described? If that question makes any sense. That is to say, is there a pedigree difference between My roll (in the pics) and silentsilentnviolent's roll?

4. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Yes the OP's have the US Mint logo. Those would be considered OGP, yours aren't.

silentnviolent likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The process I described is true and accurate. The mint tells the private company what they want the roll wrappers to look like, and US Mint being on them is all just part of the advertising.

Is there any difference between the coins in "mint rolls" and any other rolls ? No, of course not. They are all the same coins. And paper roll wrappers are all just paper roll wrappers regardless of what they have printed on them. It's a sales gimmick, nothing more.

phankins11 likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Kind o' like the difference between a Chevy pickup and a GMC pickup........:)

phankins11 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted