Toning in a proof set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by EdGs, Oct 13, 2012.

1. EdGs

EdGs Member

Is it common for coins in a proof set to get a goldish toning to them? I was looking at my 2000 set and noticed that the clad coins were picking up a golden hue. It is more visible with inside light than in brighter light outside.

This set has been boxed up and put away since it was bought. I always thought that these sets were sealed completely when produced so I was wondering if this happens due to a reaction from the packaging or something environmental.

I'm not sure if I can take good pictures of it, and the coins don't look bad at all. I think they look kinda cool, and after seeing pics on this site of coins with awesomw tones to them, I became more curious about it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Proof sets are not sealed and yes they are prone to toning especially in moist warm climates.

4. marid3

marid3 Member

I have a bunch of proof sets I bought when I was younger, late 60s to early 90s, and I'd say about half of them have some very noticable toning.

I'm guessing LindeDad is right about the storage, as until recently, mine were stored improperly (a funny - expensive, but funny - story actually).

5. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Well, now that they have started toning, here is hoping for attractive toning.

6. marid3

marid3 Member

With my luck, that will be as elusive as "good weight gain" :D

7. lonegunlawyer

That is funny. I feel the same, but I just know that is going to change, hopefully sooner rather than later.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

if you don't want your mint products to tone, it is best to always follow the rules of proper storage. But, you need to do 1 other thing also. Take the sets out of the cardboard boxes they come in before you store them.

By all means save the boxes, and store them carefully where they won't get mashed or bent up. Just don't store them with your coins. That cardboard, with all the pretty colored ink, is just loaded with sulphur.

9. lonegunlawyer

Thanks for sharing the knowledge. I need to check my silver proof sets. Maybe they are starting to show a nice blue tone.

10. EdGs

EdGs Member

The sulphur and being left in the box would definately explain the yellowing, not to mention the mostly ever-present humidity here in Florida.

The toning is pretty even throughout the set, but the Sac Dollar has an oblong spot on its reverse. I have a '99 state quarter set in its box right next to these and it doesn't seem to be affected. That's what got me curious about this. Thanks for the info.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There could easily be more to it than just the boxes Ed. As I said in my previous response, you need to follow the rules of proper storage as well.

That means all of your coins should be placed in a sealed container of some kind. That can be a safe, or something as simple as a large Tupperware or Rubbermaid container. And inside that container you need to keep either fresh or rechargeable silica gel packs. And then the container needs to be stored in a cool, dark, space where the temperature remains fairly constant, like a closet that has no walls that border on the exterior.

Draft saved Draft deleted