Toning - I Just Don't Get It!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Moen1305, May 14, 2010.

1. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

Sure the rainbow colors are nice and all but isn't toning just another step towards the decay of the coin? I think it obscures the details of the coins and let's face it, some of the toning is down right ugly. Anybody else here as adverse to toned coins as I am?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Well I'm half with you. As I dont like toned coins that is ugly. Now ugly is up to each of us .

4. zachfromnj

zachfromnj Junior Member

Toning is up to the interpretation of the viewer, some may enjoy while on the other hand some may turn away in disgust. Many people collect coins while others collect paper currency, when it comes down to it were talking about apples to oranges.

5. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

there is some really ugly toning. But heres how i see it, A BU untoned coin looks just like all 5000000 other BU toned coins of that date. Thats why they all run for the same price. When toned it gives it its own personality. For instance I recently obtained a mercury that has very appealing tone. Its the first I have ever seen with a green hue like this. when i show freinds, coindealers,and coin club members they all say the same thing. so yes it is worth it to me to pay more, and yes I enjoy this wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than the Untoned 1939D and his 5 million twins. in some cases though I do understand where your coming from. i have seen completley black morgans that are MS64. absolutley ugly!!!!

[​IMG]

6. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Oh no where's Lehigh :D.

7. Duke Kavanaugh

lol
    I think that LeHigh will agree that there are ugly toners too :D

But I do like that Merc above.

8. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

LOL, speaking of Lehigh…….thats from Pauls collection. he has a great eye for mercs:D

9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I would prefer to limit my arguments with Moen to the PRWE forum. While I vehemently disagree with him on this issue, I also recognize that toning is a subjective topic and everyone will have their own opinion.

Now if he starts spreading the lunatic ravings of Weimar White, then I will be forced to engage in the debate. Until then, it is okay that he doesn't like toning. It just means there are more coins for me because I do love toned coins.

BTW, I second the sentiments of Dimefreak's post which was excellent.

10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Too me it depends on the toning. A light toning that sits on the luster is one thing. A dark toning or some of the rainbow toning that hides the luster(or even the coin itself) is something I am not fond of - I like seeing them, but others can have them and some of the premiums they drive. I might change my mind if I had a few of them in hand to look at, but from the pictures I would pass.

11. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Bingo! I like the blast white coins as well but I don't know how anybody can't appreciate the uniqueness of toners. If they're afraid of AT coins, I can understand. But I don't see how that Merc is not more pleasing to the eye than a standard blast white merc. :confused:

Moen, (if possible) lets just agree that the sky is blue and call it a day. That's about the most progress we could hope for in trying to reach agreement on a forum. :D

12. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

Well next time I grab a couple of boxes of Kennedy's, I'll break out the blow torch and make you a few for your collection...:mouth:

13. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Toning isn't decay. Like copper, and all metals for that reason, it's a natural process to actually protect the metal from environmental substances. When a coin is dipped or cleaned to remove this, then you are promoting decay and corrosion.
    Guy~

14. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

I was collecting coins when "toning" was called "tarnish" and they sold for less than the comparable "blast white" coins.

15. Duke Kavanaugh

That doesn't really say what your opinion is now does it :D

16. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

If the toning is au naturale, I love it as I feel it adds some character to the coin.

17. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

As for me, to each his own. I like some copper toners. They just have more personality IMO. What sometimes seems to borderline on the farcical(to me at least and maybe it's just my lack of understanding) is the debate between NT and AT.

18. It really depends on the coin for me. Some toned coins are down right ugly and some are quite striking. My preference is for the blast white pre-64 silver but do understand/respect why many people are interested in toned coins, especially some of the toned beauties posted by Lehigh, Penny Lady, etc. TC

19. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

I never did like toned coins, but some of the very mild toners arn't to bad looking. I can see right now that its the new craze of owning toned coins. You know what that means, everybody and their brother will be ruining coins by artificially toning them. Thats one less problem I have to worry with, cause I got zero intensions of buying them...:D

20. farthing

farthing Junior Member

Personally, I'm more interested in original surfaces than whether the coin is toned or not. Nothing uglier than a coin from the 1830's that is blast white with dipped out surfaces. :crying:

21. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

It all depends on the coloring, Some can be very attractive others
    Not so much!!

Draft saved Draft deleted