Toning: For it or not?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by The Half Dime, Apr 2, 2024.

1. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

This is one of the topics that are extremely controversial between millions of collectors. The following questions will assess how much you like toning on coins. Don't be shy, though, because CT is a place where coin collectors, like me, respect your opinion just like it was our own.

Here are the questions:

Do you like toned coins?
    If you answered yes:
    Are there certain colors you prefer over others?
    Do you want your toned coins to come from albums, natural storage, or another specific way?
    Do you care for artificially toned coins?
    Are you willing to pay a toner premium for coins?
    If you answered no:
    What would you do should a toned coin get in your collection?
    Do you consider brown and red-brown pennies toned?
    Are you willing to pay more for an untoned coin that looks nicer for its grade, or a toned coin for less that is of the same grade?
    How do you feel about toned bullion bars?
    Would you buy a cleaned coin over a toned coin if those were your 2 choices?

I'm quite the toner guy myself, but I am not a toner premium guy. Blue toning is most attractive to me, but green and gold toning is quite attractive as well in my opinion.

What is your opinion on the matter? I'd love to hear what you have to say! ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

No, I really don’t like toned coins :-D

IMG_5442.jpeg

IMG_5443.jpeg

It’s quite simple, a nicely toned coin demands a premium over a similar coin without toning. I am happy to pay the premium as long as it is reasonable. Cleaned coins sometimes have nice colors but their surfaces are damaged nevertheless, so I wouldn’t buy them. Most of my silver and cupronickel coins are toned and I’ll make sure it stays this way. I would not replace a nicely toned silver coin for a “white” one, even though it may have a higher grade.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
  4. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

Yes and No. Sometimes toning is more attractive than untoned coins, sometimes not.

Yes. Light blue, gold and magenta are my favorite colors.

It doesn't really matter to me.

No. Unless it's modern clad and is not sold a for profit. When your done experimenting and if you don't want it, put it back in circulation.

Depends on how much I like it, but generally no.

I'm not sure at this point in time.

Like I said before, it all depends.

Toning is preferable unless it's a very dark purple/blue, black or brown.

A toned coin, unless it was very ugly toning (in my opinion).

Pickin and Grinin and alurid like this.
  5. ddddd

ddddd Member

Do you like toned coins?
    Yes

Anything that is more vibrant or rainbow as opposed to super dark or lackluster

Do you want your toned coins to come from albums, natural storage, or another specific way?
    It usually does not matter much as long as I find the color and coin attractive

I have picked some up-the key is that I find it interesting (as opposed to garish or ugly) and that the price is right (usually meaning lower than a market acceptable/straight graded example)

Yes-you almost always have to in order to acquire such coins as the market dictates that there is a premium.

I would say yes. Some are better than others. Plus you can have blue, purple, or other colors on these red-brown and brown cents.

Are you willing to pay more for an untoned coin that looks nicer for its grade, or a toned coin for less that is of the same grade?

It depends on the eye appeal. Sometimes an untoned coin is nicer (great luster or prooflike). Other times the toned coin is nicer. If we are talking about a generic Morgan, like an 1881-S in MS 63, then I would take the nice toner that is barely a 63 over a blast white coin that might be a 63+/64 but is in a 63 holder.

I don't collect them but I understand the premiums and find some to be attractive.

There could be many factors in making the call: how far apart are the prices, how nice is the toning, how bad is the cleaning, etc.

If we assume the same price where one is cleaned and one is toned, then it's the toned coin.

6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I enjoy a rather nicely toned specimen. Blues, rose or red and yellows.
    Hate artificial.
    1943 Quarter full.jpg

7. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

naturally toned for the win

Treb_Gallus.jpg

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I have to say I buy them both ways. Both should be NT. All metals begin to tone as soon as they are struck.
    I consider this coin to be as close to original BU WT as possible for its age.
    upload_2024-4-2_23-46-7.jpeg
    upload_2024-4-2_23-46-33.jpeg
    For Comparison the original skins and deep luster on a toned coin are just as attractive.
    upload_2024-4-2_23-49-3.jpeg
    upload_2024-4-2_23-49-39.jpeg

9. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I like mine blast white.

10. BALD SPARTAN

BALD SPARTAN Member

I like natural rim toning. I pass on the heavy toning and the high premium rainbows.
    IMO natural toning complements the Jefferson Nickels the most.

Burnside_Q and okbustchaser like this.
  11. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

12. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I love moderately tones coins in rose, gunmetal blue, or yellowish colors but nothing really dark.
    My problem is I only want naturally toned coins and nothing artificial but have trouble telling the difference. I will pay a premium for a nicely toned coin.

Bruce

13. MK Ultra

MK Ultra Well-Known Member

Do you like toned coins? They're okay, take them or leave them.

Are there certain colors you prefer over others? Maybe blues and purples?

Do you want your toned coins to come from albums, natural storage, or another specific way? Doesn't matter.

Do you care for artificially toned coins? Ambivalent.

Are you willing to pay a toner premium for coins? Absolutely not.

If you answered no:
    What would you do should a toned coin get in your collection? Sell it if someone else would pay a significant premium.

Do you consider brown and red-brown pennies toned? Not sure, I guess technically they are.

Are you willing to pay more for an untoned coin that looks nicer for its grade, or a toned coin for less that is of the same grade? I'm all about value.

How do you feel about toned bullion bars? Ambivalent. Only have a couple of bars and only because they were priced at melt.

Would you buy a cleaned coin over a toned coin if those were your 2 choices? Depending on the value. Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Do you like toned coins?
    Yes, if they're attractively toned.

If you answered yes:

I like subtle pastel shades more than heavy toning. And it needs to be evenly distributed, not mottled or splotchy.

No special preference.

While I can admit that some are attractive, they're not for me, if they won't straight grade in a TPG holder.

Yes, but only a small one.

I suppose that's technically the truth, though when one refers to a cent as "toned", it usually implies something more than just the usual red-brown to brown mellowing that naturally happens over time.

That mostly depends on the coin(s) in question.

OK, I guess? But bullion isn't really my thing. You can put me down as "neutral" on this one.

Probably 98% of the time, my answer to that question would be "no", though there might be a few isolated exceptions. Depends on the coin(s) involved, obviously.

Heavymetal likes this.
  15. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

This thread has become amazing, everyone! There are too many replies to quote them all, but I will say this:

I do like how you guys have openly shared your opinion on the matter. I've had a blast just looking at the different toned coins, and all of the coins in general. Here's some advice for anyone seeing this thread: please keep the responses coming! ;)

Here's a way to tell between NT and AT: if there are the exact same colors on the whole coin, including the surfaces, it is likely AT. Natural toning often occurs from the rims inward, and while rainbow toning is not always AT, pastel-like colors on the whole coin, or completely on one side, often indicate AT.

I wouldn't recommend buying them as they don't have too much value. It is considered more of a damaged coin at that point.

16. samclemens3991

samclemens3991 Well-Known Member

I tend to think of coins as being like people. There are some who insist a coin should look just as white as when it was issued or it is tarnished and damaged. To me that is like saying you were at the birth of a baby. 25 years later you meet that grown baby and exclaim ,"That's not Bob, he weighs 8 pounds and has no hair!" People change, coins change.
    I love several types of toning. I will pay a small premium for attractive toning but personally just like to see the many ways a coin can change over the years. God loves wonderous variety and so do I. James

17. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

While I am not ready to answer all the questions, I like artificial toning if well done. I bought a set of 25 Roosevelt proofs for 11 cents each from eBay. Here are some of them.
    10c 1970-S PF full 05.jpg 10c 1971-S PF full 05.jpg 10c 1972-S PF full 05.jpg 10c 1973-S PF full 05.jpg 10c 1974-S PF full 05.jpg 10c 1975-S PF full 05.jpg 10c 1976-S PF #02 full 05.jpg 10c 1976-S PF #01 full 05.jpg 10c 1977-S PF full 05.jpg 10c 1979-S PF full 05.jpg

18. charley

charley Well-Known Member

What??

19. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

20. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

Yes, I like toned. If I were ever to get a Morgan dollar, I'd like a toned one.

The slabbed ancients tend to be cleaned blast white (yuck).
    upload_2024-4-3_10-31-22.jpeg
    upload_2024-4-3_10-31-52.jpeg

philologus_1 and RonSanderson like this.
  21. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

Here's a better explanation:
    Courtesy of APMEX: "The artificially toned coin has a varied and deeper color pattern than the natural coin. With a naturally toned coin, the colors blend into each other more smoothly."

Here's a CT thread on the matter:
    Natural vs. artificial toning | Coin Talk

And finally, a picture:
    [​IMG]
    This is a thumbnail for a video on YouTube but it should clarify the AT matter.

It can be quite cool at times. Wouldn't it be fun, though, if it turned out to be NT that was slowly advanced, and is barely AT? Either way, the ones you have may be AT, but they look more like NT from the first glance.

I can't agree more. I like change in things such as coins, such as an Edith Kanaka'ole quarter that I put in a small holder for a Women Quarter; since October of last year, the coin has accumulated blue and red toning. It's a real beauty now, and I'm definitely fascinated to see how it can tone naturally to vibrant colors.

Draft saved Draft deleted