Toning... fake or real.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by NG4, Mar 2, 2012.

1. NG4

NG4 New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

It could not be more fake.

4. rlspears10

rlspears10 Member

All toning is real. The question should actually be if it is natural or artificial. In this case not only is it obvious that it is artificial, but the seller even tells you. The abbreviation "AT" means artificial toning.

5. model77

model77 Silver Stacker

It seems clear that the purists here HATE artificial toning. There seem to be a lot of them out there though and many are even honestly advertised like above.

Do these AT coins have a large market and sell at a premium? Does anyone here like them?

6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Coin Collecting is as much about the "story" as it is the "coin".

The better the story, the better the price.

However, some of these stories get pretty old pretty quick and the AT vs NT story has gotten old. Coins tone. Thats an established fact. Coins can be AT'ed in such a manner as to avoid detection. Either through accelerated means (storing silver in a box of matches in a warm environment) or improper storage means (Coins in Waite-Raymond albums in a warm environment).

As long as its not a chemical paint, who really cares? I know that I don;t.

7. NG4

NG4 New Member

Ahh.. that's what AT means...thanks.

8. NG4

NG4 New Member

I think the people who would like this severe toning would be the same people that like the painted ASE and Morgans.

9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Here is a lesson in how threads such as this can quickly get out of hand.

How to Tone Coins

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Note that the auction description labels this as "AT", and describes it as a "fairly inexpensive alternative to graded coins" -- neatly dodging the point that a coin like this will never make it into a slab under today's TPG policies.

Wonder if eBay will ever try to ban artificially-toned coins, as they tried to ban copies...

11. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

This seller has been around for a long time on ebay. Recently (a few months or so ago) ebay forced him to label his coins AT. Just an fyi.

12. -jeffB

Huh. So why haven't they gotten to "melthelegend123"/"mel-ko"/"that lady with the purple crayon coins"?

13. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

That is a very good question. Not sure why they singled out cwbyup. I had an email exchange with him, that is why I know this.

14. brewerbonsai

brewerbonsai Member

All this guys coins are AT. They all have the same coloring & are all toned!!! He's a coin artist. But he gets lots of buyers it seems. Some buyers enjoy that look & some just are not aware of the coloring.

15. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

There are several ways to AT a coin. But when a seller has multiple coins all toned the same way you know its AT. And there has been many debates on AT and NT, I think some collectors just like the color whether its NT or not.

16. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

at least this seller is finally admitting his coins are AT. that's a big step up

17. -jeffB

18. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

I paid my "initiation dues" with this joker. Unfortunately, I made a purchase from him before he was forced to put the "disclaimer" on each of his coin listings. I sent the coin I purchased from him for professional grading and, of course, it came back as "genuine" (due to questionable toning). I called him on it. . . . And he denied ATing his coins.

Even with the subsequent "disclaimer" in each of his listings, the problem I have is that the disclaimer is buried and I would guess most buyers never even notice it (which is likely just the way he likes it).

IMO, it's too bad that ebay allows him to get away with what I believe is deception.

19. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

He was forced to admit it, or be suspended from Ebay as many folks complained, who were knowledgeable collectors.

20. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

21. NG4

NG4 New Member

That one is easy... he admits to toning in the description.

Draft saved Draft deleted