Toning Experiment Fails

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cloudsweeper99, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

About a year ago I acquired three common date Morgan dollars at a coin show that had been dipped so they were white. All are about EF. Don't worry, I paid a dipped price. I put two of them into two empty wooden cigar boxes and the third into an empty matchbox so they could "naturally retone" to see how they would come out, hopefully with some good looking and maybe surprising coloration. About every three months I would flip them over to try to even out the toning effects.

I'm just reporting that all three are as white as the day I put them in.:confused: Not a hint of toning. They might as well have been in airtites.

I guess I'll continue the experiment for another year without changing anything or adding anything to "cheat" and see what happens, but this surprised me. I thought a year might be enough to get some results.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Place them in an area that's slightly warm (like a windowsil or on your cable box).

4. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Humidity (not enough) probably has something to do with it also

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Cloud - be a bit more specific if you can. For example, what was the average temp where you stored them and did that temp vary ? What is the average humidity where you live ? What kind of heat system do you have - gas, electric or radiant ? Were these boxes stored out in the open or put away somewhere ? Also what part of the country do you live in and are there any large factories in your town ? All that stuff affects how coins tone.

6. Cloudsweeper99

They are in an upstairs closet. The heat is gas - forced hot air from a very efficient new furnace. It's pretty humid in the summer except that we run the central air which brings it down some. The temperature probably never goes out of the range of about 60-80 degrees where it is stored. In the winter the humidity is pretty low, maybe 20%. Not many factories are left here in New Jersey and the air is probably cleaner than its reputation. I guess maybe they are overprotected. I thought that the residual chemicals in the cigar boxes and matchbox would be enough, but apparently it isn't.

I don't want to cheat by applying heat or any sort of chemical that isn't naturally part of the the storage method.

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Now you're not expecting Fate to give up her secrets, are you? ;)

8. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

If they were EF, and they were cleaned, you'll have a difficult time ever getting them to tone nicely or at all. Too much of the original surface structure (on the microscopic level) is gone.

9. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

You may have to give it a little more than a few years. My grandparents stored six rolls of Morgans in a canvas bank bag stuffed inside an old tobacco tin in a box in their attic (well over 150 degrees in summer) for over 60 years, and when I got them not a single one had any toning on them. How long do you have to experiment?
    Guy~

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Your humidity is a lot higher than you think.

JAN JULY

Atlantic City 79 68 74 - 81 72 82
    Newark 72 79 65 - 75 51 65
    Trenton 73 62 68 - 77 55 68

Those are average humidity levels in various NJ cities at 7:30 AM, 1:30 PM and 7:30 PM

I suspect you not getting much reaction because of the coins being over-dipped. Once luster is gone toning takes a lot, lot longer.

11. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

Send 'em to me. I bet it would love the Florida humidity. ;) :rolleyes: :mouth:

12. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

There was a book about that called Coin Chemistry.
    http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/coin-chemistry.html/
    I want to order it.

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I would bet those are relative humidities. They are meaningless without knowing the outside temp and inside temp at least in January. As an example, 100% humidity (outside) at 32°F means the inside air when heated to 72° is about 25% relative humidity inside.
    In July, the air conditioner is removing humidity so everything is meaningless.

14. Cloudsweeper99

Hmmmm. I didn't realize that circulated coins didn't retone as easily as MS coins tone. With this information I might have to find a warmer spot and continue the test. But I'm not going to do anything that I consider artificial.

Edit: It's pretty humid here in the summer.

15. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

um, would you consider an old album from say the 50's 60's and an oven at 250 for a bit to be artificial?

16. Cloudsweeper99

That would sort of violate the rules of the experiment. I was pretty sure I'd get interesting results from the cigar boxes and matchbox without applying artificial heat or anything else. I'm not in a rush.

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

RLM is 100% correct here.

Where I live in Florida, we are lucky if the humidity outside is less than 90%. However, in my air-conditioned house, it is almost always below 50%, and when I have the heat on in the winter it is even lower.

18. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

where do i go to find humidity for my city?

19. rld14

rld14 Custom User Title

Taco Bell Napkin....

20. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

lol

21. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

I have had a few AU Mercs as an experiment in taco Bell napkins for a year in my garage. Nothing, Nada Zip Zero toning.

Draft saved Draft deleted