Tonight was great at work

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Zako, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I have worked for some very wealthy individuals. Most of the time besides having a nice house/property. They dressed and acted like a blue collar worker.
    A lot of them just don't want the attention

cpm9ball and Wally in Cincy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

That's how these people get rich, they're cheapskates!

Hookman and Wally in Cincy like this.
  4. You have a point Uncle. Then again , Gina Gallo may have inherited a dollar or two. Maybe that how she STAYS rich.

Hookman likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

"Morals" has nothing to do with it, but I'll certainly have to question your ability to reason.

Chris

6. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

I am going to open a coin laundry, (when I win Lotto) complete with vending machines, bubble gum and a coinstar!
    I will spend my days sifting coins.
    Then open a pawn shop with the profits.

Hookman and PlanoSteve like this.
  7. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

I got a great tip a few years ago. It was that when you're walking in town, look at both sides of the road before crossing over.

8. Coin buyer

Coin buyer Member

Here’s a tip for you, if you still want to see it “SNOW” in May, just come to Northern Minnesota.
    Ho-Ho-Ho, Happy May Day All

Hookman likes this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

My brother in law opened for Bo in the 1990's at some gig in Colorado.
    Bo.png

Pickin and Grinin and Nyatii like this.
  10. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

integrity? Geez... If I go to a yard sale and find a LIONEL train collectable worth $300 and the guys wants $50, do I offer him what?

scott schultz and wxcoin like this.
  11. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

I'd offer him $30.

scott schultz, wxcoin and Hookman like this.
  12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I was always able to replace coins for face value in a number of retail jobs I had.
    I think if the friends are aware that this is something he is interested in,
    and that they would be spending the coins at face value, I don't see a problem with replacing them at face value. That being said, I might treat the group to a pizza or
    whatever was equal value to the coins.

Wally in Cincy, Hookman and Nyatii like this.
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

No, no, no. You're supposed to dust for fingerprints on the coin, then use the prints to track down the person who spent them, and pay that person the full Red Book value of the coin, you lowlife. :rolleyes:

wxcoin, Hookman and Zako like this.
  14. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

Lol that's funny but on a serious note. If I were to put more than face value of a coin back into the tip jar I could get fired since all the tips get divided up among all of the crew and I would be giving myself a slightly higher amount as well than what it would have been if I had only replaced it at face value

15. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I would think just sticking your hand into the tip jar to take anything out at all would get you a minimum of a scowl or two...

scott schultz likes this.
  16. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

That's why I asked my manager first before I started doing it and he gave me the okay to swap goins out and or bills at face value

Hookman likes this.
  17. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

That's all well and good, but a bit of friendly unsolicited advice.....Don't ever do it on your own. Every shift you work and ultimately look through the tip jar, ask a co-worker to watch you.

Hookman likes this.
  18. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I work retail part-time as a way to keep busy. I'm retired from the engineering world, construction and land surveying.
    In fact, it was this retail job and the access to coins, that got me really started collecting.
    Everyone at my work knows I collect coins. No one cares.
    The managers who count down the tills will even give/trade me coins they find while counting. I have trained them to identify wheaties, Indians, silver nickels, silver dimes and quarters, and certain bills/notes such as really old ones, silver certificates, star notes, and sequential series notes, foreign coins, etc.. Anything that looks different than normal, they ask me about it first.
    Every one of my coworkers I have tried to get interested in coin collecting.
    No one cares.
    I only give face value for any thing I get/buy. Just recently a manager pointed out they took in $40.00 in sequential $2.00 bills. I bought them all for $40.00. Though it was actually 2 separate groups of sequential notes, I was surprised to find that the larger group were all Crisp Uncirculated, and the other group was almost the same. The only people I can interest in collecting are customers. Whenever I give a customer a star note, I tell them about it and suggest they start collecting, not only notes, but coins and all. I always suggest they visit eBay to see "commerce" at work and I especially encourage them to visit and join Coin Talk !!
    Even though the star note I give them is usually not in the best condition, it is still useful to spark interest in collecting.
    I think we all should do everything we can, everyday that we can, to encourage more people to get interested in coin collecting, and rather than being concerned about someone's integrity, or lack thereof, involved in swapping coins in a tip jar, we should be much more concerned about the morals, or lack thereof, of our politicians who swipe much, much more than pocket change from us each and every day that they are in office.

scott schultz and masterswimmer like this.
  19. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I made a nice find back in 1987. Check them out. Crisp and clean.

20190315_181153.jpg
    20190315_181228.jpg
    20190315_180858.jpg
    20190315_181023.jpg

Hookman likes this.
  20. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

Well everyone at my workplace knows I collect coins and currency and my manager does collect coins to a degree which is good and everyone of my coworkers goes out of their way to see of any old or interesting coin or bill pops up and they save em for me to look at especially when a bill doesn't meet up with the counterfeit test

21. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

masterswimmer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted