Tonight was great at work

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Zako, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

Man today was a great day at work to go through the tip jar and thank God I always carry spare change with me cause I got a 1945 quarter, 1962 d dime, 1940 and a 1938 nickel

Attached Files:

Theodosius, Trish, Cheech9712 and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nice tip!

I got a tip this morning (I work as a hotel clerk). There was a guest who needed a ride and did not have time to wait for an Uber driver. I was just getting off work, so I gave him a ride in my old car. He wanted to go to a nearby grocery store, which was having a grand (re-)opening.

Turns out he's the president and CEO of the grocery chain. He left me a thank-you note at the desk, which I just opened when I came in tonight. Inside were two $20 gift cards for that grocery chain. That's what I call a nice tip.

Inside that same grocery store the other day, there were actually some coins in the reject slot of the CoinStar machine, which never seems to happen for me. Three were modern US coins, and I don't know why the machine would have rejected them. The other was an Ecuadorian coin about the size of a nickel.

4. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

Well where I work at we have a tip jar placed by the cash register and usually people dump pocket change in it and since everyone knows I collect coins I'm allowed to swap coins out of the tip jar

Stevearino, Hookman and lordmarcovan like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

That's a fun little fringe benefit.

Hookman likes this.
  6. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

Yes it is yes it is and when it comes to collecting my tips my manager looks for the oldest bills to give to me lol

Hookman and lordmarcovan like this.
  7. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

I know there's a Winn Dixie store near where I live at and I go to that store as often as I can since they have a coin star machine there and I always find something. Last time I was there I found a Chucky Cheese token in the coin reject bin

Hookman likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

It just so happens it was the President and CEO of Southeastern Grocers (Winn-Dixie) that I had in my car this morning, though I did not know it at the time, when I gave him a ride. I was just trying to help out a guest who needed a quick favor.

At his suggestion, I'm going to spend those gift cards at the newly-reopened store. That's where I found some stuff in the CoinStar machine the other day.

Theodosius, Stork, calcol and 2 others like this.
  9. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

I've had some good finds in the till at work. Mostly star notes , but have found some nice error coins too. I keep a loupe in my backpack for this reason .

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

So, when you took the silver quarter and the silver dime from the tip jar, I assume that you replaced them with $3.77. Right?

Chris

Brina likes this.
  11. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Sounds like someone tipped with the GACH in mind. Very nice.

Trish likes this.
  12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Very cool. And great story lord m

13. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

No I did not lol its rude to tip oneself I put .45 cents back in lol

I_like_Morgans likes this.
  14. cpm9ball

As long as you didn't have to share the tips with your co-workers, it's okay.

Chris

15. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

Well I have to share the tips with my coworkers. Every 2 weeks the tip jar gets emptied out and all the money gets counted and split up by how much money is there and by how many hours one works

16. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Since his coworkers know he collects coins and allow him to swap them out of the tip jar, there would be no need to pay over face value. Presumably the coworkers know that coins he would remove may be worth more than face.

352sdeer, Hookman, -jeffB and 4 others like this.
  17. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

May be drifting off topic, but sounds a little strange that CEO of Winn-Dixie wouldn't have a delegation from the store fetch him for a grand re-opening. Was it a surprise visit?

Really nice of you to offer the ride, and nice tip from him to you.

Cal

Brina likes this.
  18. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I got a tip once, I ignored it and ended up getting married.

19. cpm9ball

So, what if someone tossed a $5 or $10 gold eagle into the jar? Would you just replace it with $5 or $10?

My point is that it is not the amount that is important. It is your integrity at stake.

Chris

wlwhittier likes this.
  20. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

The only tips I ever received were:

Don't look directly into the sun.
    and,
    Wear matching socks....

Hookman likes this.
  21. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

Yes I would replace it with a 5 or a 10 especially since I could get in trouble with replacing it with its collectable value and not solely its spending value

Draft saved Draft deleted