Featured Toners: There's not always treasure at the end of the rainbow

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by gbroke, Oct 12, 2014.

1. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I recently picked up another Jefferson nickel album full of toners...

[​IMG]

Sounds awesome right? Not always.
    With the good, comes the bad.

With my experience in buying full albums of toned coins, it's fairly common to get the black "carbon" spots on some of the coins in the album. In fact, I believe these little jerks are the reason the coins are toning. With some luck, they only infect a few coins...

In this case, not many of the toners were spared from the spots.
    It's a shame, because some of these are real beauties.

This will be a good opportunity to try some techniques to remove the spots, without removing the color. We shall see what happens.

In the meantime, here are some of the infected coins that otherwise, would be real stunners.
    [​IMG]

This one is a choice gem. Bummer.[​IMG][​IMG]
    eek..:banghead:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Not too bad on these guys..[​IMG][​IMG]

There are some toned coins that have been spared and the coins with little to no toning do not have the spots either, sans a handful.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

those are some nice nickels.

gbroke likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Greg, I've never tried using acetone on any coins, but I've heard that if the toning is natural, it won't be affected. I don't know if this is true or not. Have you ever heard this?

Chris

gbroke likes this.
  5. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Yes I have heard this and have had some experience with it.
    I don't think it's about natural vs AT. It's more about what caused the toning.
    Acetone will remove foreign substances on the coin and not affect the metal composition.
    So if the toning is caused by a foreign substance, such as finger oil, or whatever, than the acetone will remove it. However, if the toning has united with the metal itself, then it shouldn't be affected. The examples I posted should not be removed by the acetone. Either way, we will find out soon enough.

Side note: Even if those carbon spots are removed, I believe there will be noticeable spotting still on the coin, silver color though, not black. Those carbon jabroni's have most likely rooted through the luster layer, at a minimum.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Thanks, buddy!

Chris

7. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

One more note... Since most AT coins are toned rapidly, the toning is actually a foreign substance on top of the coin, and hasn't had years to penetrate the metal composition. In theory, acetone will remove the color.

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

This doesn't sound right to me.

IF the AT is produced by adding a colored foreign material to the coin, and that material is acetone-soluble, or bound to the coin by something that's acetone-soluble, then, yeah, acetone will take it off.

But natural toning, and many forms of artificial toning, consists of a surface layer of sulfide or oxide on the coin. These surface layers are very, very thin, and the color comes from interference effects as light passes through the layer. They're also chemically bound to the surface, and they're not acetone soluble. Acid dips will remove them, by reversing the chemical oxidation that first formed them, and/or removing both the layer and the metal beneath.

So, to your original points:

Some forms of AT can be removed by acetone -- dyes, enameled layers, and so on.

Many forms of AT can't be removed by acetone -- those done by baking, sulfides, and so on.

Natural toning, as well as many forms of AT, consists of a "substance on top of the coin" -- a sub-microscopic layer of sulfide or oxide. This layer won't come off with acetone; it will come off with dip (acid/reducing agent), or by physically scouring it off. And if the chemical reaction goes far enough to penetrate into the coin, it's corrosion, not toning, and ruins the coin.

Greg, you've dealt with toners a lot more than I have. Does this make sense, or am I confusing myself here? I had thought most AT was done by heat or by chemicals that mimic the natural process; do you find that most AT coins lose their color in acetone?

medoraman and gbroke like this.
  9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Several things mentioned so far are kinda sorta true but not really, or partially true.

Carbon spots - carbon spots are small black flecks of actual carbon, impurities, within the metal of the coin. Carbon spots are present in the planchets before the coin is ever even struck. They are not something that just materializes on struck coins as time goes by. And they are rather uncommon.

That said, it has become common within the hobby to call just about any black spots seen on coins carbon spots - when they are not carbon spots at all. But are rather merely black colored spots that are caused by some form of environmental contamination. In other words the black spots are an actual substance or material that has been physically deposited upon the coin. And in all likelihood it was not a black material when it happened. But instead a material that turned black over time.

Carbon spots cannot be removed because they are within the metal itself. Black spots can be removed, sometimes, but even when they are removed they will leave a light colored spot behind because the metal underneath the black material has not been exposed to the elements so it is not toned like the surrounding metal is. So what you end up with is a coin that still has spots on it, just light colored ones instead of black ones. And yes, the luster underneath the spots is often affected as well.

Toning - the first thing that one has to understand about toning is that toning is "in" the metal, not "on" the metal. In other words when a coin tones it is the very substance of the metal itself that changes color. Toning is not some substance or material that is just deposited on top of the coin. That is why the only way to remove toning from a coin is to dip it, and that's because the acid in the dip actually removes the top layer of metal, the colored metal, from the coin.

Toning, both AT and NT can occur very quickly. But it is not the speed of the reaction that defines them or separates one from the other. Rather it is that artificial toning is done intentionally while natural toning occurs unintentionally.

Most artificial toning is not the result of liquid or powdered material being deposited on top of the coin like a stain or a paint would be. Yes, that does occur some times, but when it does it is typically done by somebody who has no idea about they are doing or how to accomplish it.

Most artificial toning, just like natural toning, is accomplished by caused by exposing the coin to certain gasses. But with artificial toning the gasses are sometimes concentrated (but not always) which makes the reaction occur more quickly. And artificial toning also occurs within the metal, not on the metal, as mentioned above. That is exactly why artificial toning cannot be definitively identified, by anybody. And there are other methods, besides exposure to gasses, that can be used as well.

Acetone - acetone will not removing toning. And it doesn't matter if that toning is artificial or natural, acetone will not remove it. That is because toning, both AT (in most cases) and NT, are within the metal itself. What acetone will do is remove some substances/materials that are "on" the coin. In other words if somebody was foolish enough to apply a substance that acts similar to how a paint or stain would act and thus creates the color we see, yes sometimes acetone can dissolve that substance/material and wash it away. But that is the only time acetone will remove the (applied) color that is supposed to be toning.

edit - you were obviously typing the same time I was Jeff

10. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

It is true

gbroke likes this.
  11. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

gbroke likes this.
  12. 40_mila_kokkina

40_mila_kokkina Active Member

I'm going to throw my two cents in regarding this post: 217951-1.jpg 217951-2.jpg :woot:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Your comments make sense Jeff.
    I couldn't tell you how most AT coins are produced. I do know that the ones produced via a quick chemical dip, will be removed in acetone. Baked or otherwise longer term AT processes may not be removed. I can't say definitively.

14. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Doug, I think we are on the same page. I knew I shouldn't have called them carbon spots. In fact, some of them are green, not black. Reminiscent of verdigris.
    I agree they are a product of a contamination. I suspect they have a high concentration of sulfides or other chemical that in fact produces the toning.

15. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Are you going to try anything on the coins? Except for the spots they do look really nice.

16. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Yes. I will try some various things. Including acetone, verdicare (although it's for copper), and some other manual techniques using toothpicks and a dip of some sort. I will share the results with the class.

Burnside_Q likes this.
  17. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

A science experiment, I like it! just don't send them to PCGS, your already on the watch-list.

18. I've never tried verdicare on spots like this, but have had great results removing the green haze and spoting on 1970s mint set coins.

19. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Any news?

20. I haven't tried any kind of cleaning on coins so I would be curious of the out come before and after.Before I joined this site I heard vinegar and salt works but on the advise that everyone says on here I don't clean them but I don't know if it may cause some kind of chemical reaction to the metal. I guess I could try myself on some unimportant coins but I figured since you were experimenting I would mention it.

21. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I guess that depends on your definition of 'works'. What was being discussed amounts to conservation methods - tweaking the appearance of a coin (hopefully) without causing any appreciable damage to the coin itself.
    A salt and vinegar mixture amounts to 'harshly cleaning' a coin, destroying much of the collectible value. This would be in the same category as silver polish, or other undesirable mechanical methods.

Draft saved Draft deleted