Toners from Olathe Dollar Hoard

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mark_h, Feb 3, 2011.

1. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Just wondering what you toner fans thought of the morgans over on hjb. Pretty interesting colors.

And I am not looking at the prices. Just thought I would see what you all thought about the colors. Down loaded only a few of the obverses you can currently see the coins over in Harlan Berke.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fireguy83

fireguy83 Member

nice looking morgans

4. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

Those are nice.....

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I like coin #3. The other two don't do much for me. Will mosey on over and take a look.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

7. I was looking at those yesterday as well. Some are really nice! TC

8. mark_h

I thought they were all cool looking, but leadfoot did pick a nice one.

9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think this seller is new at taking photos of toned coins. The colors a little off. Specifically, the magenta shades are showing up too red. Some of them are nice, but nothing I would go crazy about!

10. mark_h

Well I can answer about the color of the coins, but I do think they started using "something" in the last month or two that makes the toning more bold - I got a couple of nice buffs from them that the color was more subdues but the luster was more realy nice. Lets see what the little gif I created looks like on here.

[​IMG]

11. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

us45078a.jpg us45078b.jpg
    i looked at one of their older horde morgans for 225 the day i was there. the tonings nice but the luster is meh.

mark i remember looking at alot of there budget slabbed coins online and some of their pics looked nothing like what i asked to see in the store. i think some of their coins must of been over looked for that reason.

12. Kryptonitecomic

Kryptonitecomic New Member

Yes that one looks pretty nice but I don't see it on the site now? Wonder who would have bought it with all that tarnish and I wonder if he will post it here when he gets it ;)

13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

My guess is that your photo will look decidedly different.

14. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnggg cha chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingggggggggggggggg

15. mark_h

I can't wait to see it. I love looking at these coins. :)

16. mark_h

I can see why - I felt like I gambled on a couple, but when I got them in hand I was very pleased. I know others have had some issues with HJB - but even on the phone they have been nice to me(Most especially Laura).

17. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

HJB is a very nice company. Curtis Clay is extremely well respected in the ancient community and a great asset to collectors. Harlan of course is very well respected, one of the top ancient experts in the world really. Some of the people there can come across as a little short or gruff, but I have found them harmless if treated decently.

If any photo is not representative of the coin in hand, I am sure it wasn't on purpose and they would make it right.

18. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

i like their store alot. if you look at their selection long enough youre bound to find something you like thats affordable. its just that theres so much not listed on the site because theyre <100. i dont know if anyones ever bought anything from subak but he gets some nice stuff to sometimes.

19. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I really like them as well. As a novice collector I appreciate the fact that they keep their website updated with coins of all price ranges. That way if i see something I am interested in, i can research it before going to their storefront.

20. Kryptonitecomic

I am prepared for that as I read the return policy before buying the coin. I can afford to lose some return shipping if the coin does not look as nice as the photo but if it is then it's well worth the asking price. Regadless....it could be a neat experiment to see how the two images differ though I would prefer the coin to be a keeper of course :)

21. Kryptonitecomic

Looks like I won't be the new owners as David Greestein sent me an e-mail letting me know that coin was actually sold yesterday and there was a mix up getting the coin removed from the site. cest la vie :)

Draft saved Draft deleted