Toned Peace dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Joe Campbell, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

This is going to be an odd post because I'm asking question about something I can't capture in the pictures. Today I picked up 3 Peace dollars ('22, '23, '24) that are, in my opinion toned really nice. The obverses have a great mix of gold, blue's and green's. Of course from my pic's you can barely tell but they're really outstanding. They're in a holder together and I assume the holder is the source of the toning. The reverses are all bright white. The coins look to be lower grade UNC (again the photo's are horrific). I don't collect silver dollars but I will buy them if something catches my eye just right as these did. Paid less than $50 for the 3 coins. IMG_4686.JPG IMG_4687.JPG IMG_4688.JPG IMG_4689.JPG IMG_4694.JPG Couple of questions:
    1) I assume I should remove them from their current holder and place them in 2x2's?
    2) Toned Peace dollars appear to be less common. Do they generally hold any additional value?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Toning is often difficult to pick up in snapshots. Play with the lighting.

At one time, actually a short time ago, toned Peace dollars were difficult to find. There’s been a sudden surge in them that makes me suspect artificial toning operators.

Chuck_A likes this.
  4. MixtureNo79

MixtureNo79 Active Member

Hello Joe,

In my opinion, the toning does not give them much additional value unless they are in MS condition or higher possibly. However there are some buyer out there that will pay premiums for toned coins. But then you are getting more into subjectivity, and not objective grading of coins.

Chuck_A likes this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I find toned Peace dollars do command a small premium since NT toned Peace dollars are rare. The tone and colors on your 24 looks typical to the colors I've seen on 22,23,and 24 dollars. I have a 22 that was most likely taped into place as there's toning on both sides both at top and bottom and a void band in the center of the coin.

micbraun likes this.
  6. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Wonderful colors, congratulations on a great deal!

7. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. As I mentioned I don't really collect silver dollars but they look great so I couldn't pass them up for 'standard' Peace dollar prices. I did take them out of the holder and put them in 2x2's. Have to think that's a good idea.

8. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

Three for less than fifty was indeed a deal These fall somewhere in the AU range and vary between 20 and 25 on the Bay. Silver is at $17.03 meaning these are around 14 each in melt (42 for the trio).

As for the toning. I would say the assumption is correct as to being from storage since almost all naturally toned coins vary from obverse to reverse, and as you describe only on one side. As for bringing more on a resale, I would agree with MixtureNo79. It would require the right buyer at the right time.

MixtureNo79 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted