Toned Morgan Purchase (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tmoneyeagles, Dec 30, 2010.

?

What is the Grade?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2011.
  1. MS62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MS63

19.0%
  3. MS64

61.9%
  4. MS65

19.0%
  5. MS66

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. krispy

krispy krispy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Betcha if you submitted it now it would get upgraded ;)

4. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

It wouldn't surprise me in the least I will tell ya' that.
    My fear is that I do re-submit the coin and it does upgrade...just not high enough. Don't want to spend the money to have it regraded and then have it come back at MS64.

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I will take that bet!

Crack it and re-submit it. If it upgrades, I pay all the costs. If it doesn't, Doug pays!

6. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Wouldn't tempt me if I were you.
    I have the coin for sale at the moment, but I wouldn't mind taking it off the market if that bet holds up ;)

7. Lehigh96

Get Doug to agree and let's do it!

8. cubenewb

cubenewb Consumer of Knowledge

lol things just got interesting.

9. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Not really. I've seen this gauntlet get thrown down before and I doubt it will happen this time either.

10. Lehigh96

All the more reason to actually do it this time me thinks.

11. GDJMSP

Yeah, with a slight difference though. I was usually the one throwing it down.

You're on Paul ;)

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Oh, goody!

Clint Eastwood vs. Charles Bronson
    in......The Shootout at the CT Corral

Tickets on sale now!

13. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

I'll have to stand with Doug on this one as I was going to say 64, but it is troubling to see Raider in the 63 camp,, if memory serves he doesn't miss many.

...... maybe we can put someone in the Bell tower to keep an eye on him ; )

14. Lehigh96

I find it humorous that you are more concerned that raider thinks the coin is an MS63 than the fact that PCGS has already graded it once and given it an MS63 grade. You are right though, he is spot on when grading Morgan Dollars.

15. GDJMSP

Yeah but they graded it that 5 or so years ago Paul. The rules were different then ;)

16. Lehigh96

My refusal to accept that theory is the premise behind this entire wager.

17. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

I'm sure grading standards have changed over time at the big TPG's... How many AU 55's and 58's do you see in the gen 1 to gen 3 holders ?,,, most are now in MS new style holders imo. I can remember seeing one or two cents, both strong RB's, maybe full reds, but enough nics that they were AU'ed back in the day... I'm sure they now reside in MS holders.
    Question in hand is, have the standards for 'Morgans' changed in the past 5 years or so..... a tight call, I watch cents much more closely and really can't say, assuming Raidar could.. either way will be interesting to see.

18. GDJMSP

Yeah, I know. Either way, 1 coin isn't going to prove anything. The thing that proves it are all of the changes in grading practices added together.

19. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I'll be the low-baller and call it a 62 simply as a devils advocate so to speak . Nice eye appeal , toning which may be hiding some problems. It's interesting that this coin was twice graded by PCGS ? . The reverse seems to display some wear on the eagles breast .

20. cubenewb

cubenewb Consumer of Knowledge

Would it be better to send it in the original, or crack it out and resend it?

There are no rules:
    [video=youtube;1hYV-JSjpyU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYV-JSjpyU[/video]

21. GDJMSP

Depends on what you're trying to do. In this case, cracking it out is the better option.

At times, I would agree.

Draft saved Draft deleted