Toned Morgan Purchase (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tmoneyeagles, Dec 30, 2010.

?

What is the Grade?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2011.
  1. MS62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MS63

19.0%
  3. MS64

61.9%
  4. MS65

19.0%
  5. MS66

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cubenewb

cubenewb Consumer of Knowledge

The first set of pictures seems to hint at the luster, while the second set gives much better detail (especially with the hair). I feel like people are bashing this coin too hard... I'm stuck between 64 and 65, but pairing together the detail in the second and the luster in the first, I'm going 65 and not looking back. I have no inclination towards morgans, but judging by some of the MS 63's I have, I see no reason PCGS wouldn't give it at least a 64. Although my coins are NGC...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Correct. And my grade would now drop to 64.

Paul - as for why : I played around with the pictures a bit and that allowed me to see some things that are not obvious in the pics posted. It is based on my interpretation of those things that caused me to state my guess as it is. For one, I think the coin has good deal more luster than the pics indicate. The strike quality is actually pretty good for an '83-O mint coin. The contact marks are few and quite shallow. And I think the coin has more eye appeal than the pics indicate.

As I said - reckon we'll see if my interpetation of the pics was accurate or not.

4. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

:hail:.....................MS64

5. Breakdown

Breakdown Member

I like the subdued toning. I don't claim to know Morgans very well so I guessed 64, based largely on the photos as presented. I understand you didn't capture the luster but I don't know how to account for the "unseen" luster.

6. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

I'm downgrading my guess from MS65 to MS64. Just a few more marks that I saw in the previous pics and I was counting on more luster and I'm still just not seeing it... we'll see!!!!!!!!!

7. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Alrighty, the 1st is here and the poll has closed.

jello, krispy, Lehigh96, raider34... You all have guessed correctly.

This coin is a MS63, and accurately graded at that. The coin has luster, but it is characteristic of a 63/64 coin. While the fields are very clean, the cheek does have light marks, but they are plentiful. The toning is beautiful, and I had a feeling it would be more vibrant than what the picture showed. I paid less than retail on this coin (keep in mind, from the seller's pics), and plan to flip it, and I should have no problems.

Even though my pictures aren't as accurate as they could be, compared the original seller's pictures I can at least get double of what I paid. Pictures are very key to selling, and knowing how to grade from what can be seen, and having a little luck on your side, you can get more than you paid for!

Thanks for participating in the thread, this actually has been quite fun, for me anyways. Here is the coin.

[​IMG]

8. krispy

krispy krispy

Cool! A very helpful thread. I really liked the approach of doing a guess the grade by sellers pics, then your own before the reveal. Good luck with the flip and I hope you may do more of these polls again. The only thing in the new pic that remains problematic is that stubborn slab glare, which is minimal but present. Great work for the first few days with the new camera equipment.

9. tmoneyeagles

The slab glare is killing me over here.

Here is the best I got so far.

[​IMG]

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Unless that coin really is that drab looking (and maybe even then), try setting your white balance. I think you will be surprised at how much difference it will make when the coin actually looks like silver.

11. tmoneyeagles

My white balance is on pre-set manual, which I have done by taking a picture of the white surface that is behind the coin with the lights on. So in other words, it is set.

12. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Ahhh rat's I was too slow but even with the new pic's I would of stayed with a 62

13. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'd say MS-63 IS WHAT PCGS gave it .
    rzage

14. tmoneyeagles

And you'd be right. :rolleyes:

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Interesting. Any idea when that coin was slabbed ?

16. tmoneyeagles

Can't say that I know.

17. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I believe the bar code wasn't moved to the front of the label until early 2002 (for the blue label slabs), so that would be the earliest it could have been graded. You would need to see the back of the slab to be more specific with the date.

T$, maybe compare it to Conder's PCGS generations thread.

18. tmoneyeagles

I have never seen that thread before, and now it is has been bookmarked!!! Thank you!
    As for when it was graded it appears that it was sometime from November of 04' to mid 2005. My slab is a PCGS 15 and features the obverse of a St. Guadens Double Eagle on the hologram.

19. krispy

krispy krispy

That is a great thread. Wished I'd known of it sooner too and wish he'd redo that for a thread here as well. Great info there. Thanks.

20. raider34

raider34 Active Member

21. tmoneyeagles

I'm running out of space for bookmarks. ;)
    Thank you raider!

Draft saved Draft deleted