Toned Morgan Dollars

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lee Gilmore, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Lee Gilmore

Lee Gilmore Active Member

Hi all and merry Christmas.
    I have just received a large supply of Morgan Dollars from a Auction house. They are all slabbed and Graded MS64 or MS65 and date from 1879 to 1921. Many are toned to varying degrees and I was just wondering whether this would increase or decrease the price I should charge?

Attached Files:

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It depends on who is buying. If someone more knowledgeable like @Morgandude11 is looking at them, they may not command too much of a premium if most are like this one. Of course, the grade is still an important factor. I assume this one is either NGC or ANACS. Are they all graded by the same service?

Lee Gilmore likes this.
  4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I like the toned Coins but don't expect to pay more unless it has a really appealing look . JMO

Lee Gilmore likes this.
  5. Lee Gilmore

6. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I would say that would garner a premium.

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have always been and always will be a blast white guy. But I do not discount that there has been quite a growing segment of the coin community being drawn to toned coins. Attractive toning like the photo you showed absolutely do command a premium these days.

Inspector43 and Lee Gilmore like this.
  8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That one would have some premium

Lee Gilmore likes this.
  9. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Do you have a picture of the obverse?

10. Lee Gilmore

No

11. Lee Gilmore

Sorry but it's just ice white.

12. Lee Gilmore

But here's another one 1881s NGC MS 65. Struggling to take a photo that fully shows the toning.

Attached Files:

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Likely neutral to maybe even slightly negative from that picture

Morgandude11 and Lee Gilmore like this.
  14. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I recall reading somewhere that changes in color are due to the thickness of the oxidation layer. As oxidation progresses, the layers become thicker and the coin changes color. If a coin is at a really pleasing color, It may be prudent to take steps to halt the oxidation process.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Lee Gilmore likes this.
  15. Lee Gilmore

Attached Files:

yakpoo likes this.
  16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

NGC graded, MS65 and toned sounds great, however this coin appears to be way too dark to command any premium. I’d say you’ll have a hard time selling her, especially since you’re unable to take decent pictures. You could post the cert numbers of all coins, so we can have a look at the NGC pics.

Lee Gilmore and Morgandude11 like this.
  17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The price depends on the condition of the coin, the date, mintmark, the toning and the person buying the coin.

Lee Gilmore likes this.
  18. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I see some blue and purples in that MS65. if you could take a better pic I imagine it would be decent.

19. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'm having the same thoughts. It might be quite attractive but the photos make it hard to tell. Being an 81-S, it might also be semi-prooflike, which could make it even nicer.

Lee Gilmore likes this.
  20. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I would not pay a premium for that coin. The toned coverage is limited, and the colors art not spectacular. The coin has surface preservation issues, as well—there are a lot of hits on that reverse for a 64 or 65 grade. Proof like? Can’t determine from that picture. I can’t judge the others, as I have not seen them.

21. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I would if it is graded properly. I can't tell without a picture of the obverse.

Lee Gilmore likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted