Toned Franklin Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Rheingold, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Hello,

From a technically point of view a solid MS64 for sure.
    But how about the toning?
    Do you like it?
    Or does it limit the grading by a point?
    IMG_20151122_104844.jpg IMG_20151122_104858.jpg IMG_20151122_104858.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The grade is limited. It might not grade at all. Once a coin gets this dark, many see it as damage.

Rheingold, furham and tommyc03 like this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's not for everybody. The toning, I mean.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'd have to say no grade. The obv looks to have been messed with. As if somebody tried to remove the ugly dark toning, saw that it didn't come out so well, and gave up trying it on the rev.

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

"Messed with" doesn't mean anything to me. I'm not a detective. I don't collect coins based on whether I can detect they were "messed with" or not. I could care less what anyone can detect. That, to me, is counterintuitive, to collecting coins. That said, that coin is "flat," and that's all that's of consequence. Anyone with eyesight and just a little basic knowledge can see it. It gets discounted for that, and, sure, it probably doesn't grade for it. Were it mine, I'll add, I'd be "messing" all over with that reverse, wouldn't give it so much as a second thought. FWIW...

Frank MacD likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'm sorry but that is some seriously ugly toning. Had it been one I found at melt I would give it a dip and be happy with it that way.

8. GDJMSP

That's just it, it's not meant to mean anything specific, merely that something was done that turned the coin into a problem coin.

As for the dipping idea, had that coin been properly dipped, it most likely would have turned out just fine, and possibly merit a mid level MS grade.

Rheingold and tommyc03 like this.
  9. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Very ugly imo

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Isn't that something? Do you remember when we used to abhor dipped coins? I was shocked to hear how many graded Morgan Dollars, for example, it's estimated, are dipped. In fact, I think I first heard it from you. Ah, how standards and preferences have loosened for the market over time.

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

It's also funny how dirty people really are. I went through a roll of cents last night that were the scourge of the earth. I've seen better coming out of the ground buried for 100 years. I washed, then sprayed my hands with peroxide, washed again. One coin had more growing on it than the cent weighed without the crud.

green18 and eddiespin like this.
  12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Thought that too.......... rofl.gif

tommyc03 likes this.
  14. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Answering your specific question, I do not like the toning.

As far as grading goes, why would you even bother to send it in? It's not worth the money. Given that 1948 is the first year of issue, there are a lot of nice looking (raw and slabbed) 1948 D's out there if someone wanted to buy one.

15. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for input.
    I never wanted to send this coin to a TPG, I was unsure about the toning.
    In hand the coin looks better than on the pictures.
    I put together a unc. Franklin set in a whitman album....the shown coin is ok for this purpose:angelic:

16. GDJMSP

When it comes to dipping being acceptable, not much if anything at all has changed. Dipping coins, when done properly, has been an acceptable practice for well over a century. But yes you are correct in that there were a lot of people, still are a lot of people as a matter of fact, who were/are completely unaware of how extensive the practice of dipping coins is. When you tell somebody that 80% or more of all older coins have been dipped, and yes that includes all slabbed coins too, well, to say they are skeptical at first is an understatement. Nonetheless it is true, that number 80%, is if anything too low.

So it's not that standards and preferences have loosened in regards to dipping, it's merely that in recent years more and more people have become educated to the fact that it always has been acceptable.

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Doug, "educated to the fact that it has always has been acceptable?" Seriously, think about that. First off, who dipped these coins? No collectors I knew dipped coins. Dealers dipped these coins. If it was so "acceptable," why didn't it say in the Red Books back then how to dip these coins? The reason is a dipped coin is like a finished and stained antique drawer. Cut the value of it in half. It's a goner. No "educated" antique collector is going to accept that. Only a dope is going to accept it.

We accept dipped coins by default. The dealers ruined these coins, and we have no choice but to accept them. The same is true with the TPGs, they're in the same spot. Either that, or probably 90% of blast white Morgan Dollars don't play in this "market grading" game with collectors.

There's how I see it. With all due respect, I think you're backpedalling into a comfort zone. We weren't comfortable with dipped coins anymore than antique collectors were comfortable with "restored" antiques. We wanted to see the "age" in these coins, if it was there. We had a word for that, it was "original."

At this point, I don't need to hear from the chemistry PhDs that sulfuric acid and thiourea is "safe" for silver coins, anymore than I need to hear from the wood refinishers that fine-grit sandpaper and conditioner is safe for antique wood furniture. That's treated antique wood furniture, and those are treated silver coins. No "educated" collector collects those, except by default.

Finally, supposing 90% of Morgan Dollars were silver polished by dealers back then. We'd be collecting those, today, too, by default, and not because we're educated to the fact that the practice has always been deemed acceptable. Rather, because we're uneducated. Better still, because we have no choice. And, there's "market grading," in a nut...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  18. GDJMSP

Eddie I readily acknowledge that there have always been, and still are, those who do not find dipping coins to be acceptable. But the majority, collectors and dealers alike, always have found it to be acceptable.

To a large degree this is because dipping a coin, in a great many cases, is and was done to protect the coin. Protect it from what ? Toning. A century ago, and even up until fairly recent years, and I'm talking about the last 2 or 3 decades, people didn't know anything about proper coin storage. For one thing products that we now readily have available, were not available. There simply was no good way to store coins and protect them from toning. And toning, if allowed to progress unchecked, will and does destroy coins. Thirty, forty years ago coins that were toned almost black, some actually black, were extremely common. And prior to that they were even more common because there simply was no way to prevent it. After all it was only 15 years ago that "blast white" was all the rage among collectors. And had been for years.

So by dipping these coins they were protected. Had they not been dipped, today we not have all the wonderful lustrous coins that we have today. That is why dipping was acceptable to the majority a hundred years ago, and it is why it is acceptable to the majority today. And no, I am not backpedaling in any way. I have always, since I was a child, found dipping acceptable.

The TPGs have been around for almost 30 years now. And from day 1 of their existence they have always found dipped coins acceptable. And this is because dipped coins had always been acceptable, by most collectors and dealers alike. For as long as anyone can remember that has always been the case.

19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's interesting what you say on toning. I remember some of us at least viewed it almost as damage. I'll have to take the rest I guess under advisement. I think of it like this. If it were so acceptable to collectors, why wasn't there one dealer who would admit it? I think they used some kind of jewelry cleaner. If dipping were acceptable, why did every dealer lie about it? Why lie if it's acceptable?

20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

However antique furniture that has been cleaned carefully for the last 200 years is worth more than similar pieces that Billy Bob found in the barn under the hay stack.

tommyc03 likes this.
  21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You've been watching American Pickers too long. You have to watch the Antiques Road Show more. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted