Toned Franklin Half Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AlexN2coins2004, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

IMO the half dollar is questionably toned. Here is a Washington quarter of mine with some funky toning. It is in an NGC holder.

Very best regards,
    collect89

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Wrong. I never implied that 90% 'of collectors buying toned coins' are that unaware. The line reads like this:

"I have a feeling that 90% of the people buying coins like this in the OP...."

I'm saying most people that buy wildly colored, obvious, AT'd coins don't know there's a difference or they would probably save their money for a normal, NT coin. To me, it's a form of a scam or false advertising. It's an artifical way to run up prices and move pieces that typically wouldn't move. So that's why they do it.

I personally don't believe anybody should be rewarded with profit for purposely coloring/defacing coins. That's my opinion. People go nuts if so much as a tissue lands on the face of a coin. So there's no reason to believe somebody fooling around coloring does any good for them. It's a practice that primarily relies on deception. That is hard to argue.

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's hard to defend, too, and I stand corrected for having taken your statement out of that context.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

OK, but what percentage of all the collectors out there do you think participate or even just lurk on coin forums ?

Every time the question comes up as to how many collectors there are, I almost always see the consensus as being at least 1.5 - 2 million and most likely more.

Now I think we can mostly agree that those who do participate on the forums do so on all or several of them. Now we have about 20,000 here on CT. PCGS has what 40,000, pretty much everybody else has less. And since many are on all of them, you can't just add up all the numbers. But let's say for the sake of argument that there are 100,000 collectors on all the coin forums combined.

Do the math - that means only 5% of the collectors, and probably a lot less, participate on the coin forums.

Point is, that 90% number, while it seems high, may not be as far off base as you think.

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Well, first of all, to be fair to Vess1, his statement was, "90% of the people buying coins like this in the OP," which is indeed broader and more inclusive than my interpretation of same, which was, "90% of collectors buying toned coins," and, which we happen to be discussing, now. And, I'll even go as far as to say, you make a case for your position on the latter, and you make a stronger case for your position on the former. Now, that said, let me address your reply this way...

Supposing you're correct. Supposing the overwhelming majority of collectors buying toned coins are in fact ignorant of the reality that there are coin doctors out there toning coins and misrepresenting same as "natural" in the hopes of manipulating the "naive public" so as to make a quick buck. I'm not trying to get around your reply, when I inquire, so what? In other words, what bearing should that have on how a collector should proceed in evaluating a toned coin? Or, for that matter, on how a TPG should proceed in evaluating same? Does that have any bearing, whatsoever? Remember, now, the problems associated, here...namely, in discerning "intent." That's what I'd like to know.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It has no bearing on it whatsoever. I was merely pointing out that there ARE one heck of a lot of people out there who have no idea about artificial toning.

Just like there are one heck of a lot of people out there who think that all grading companies are equal.

And like there are one heck of a lot who think that all coins sold on ebay are genuine and as advertised.

And like how many believe the ads they see in the coin mags, and that any coin advertised as BU actually is BU.

Or the ones who buy the stuff advertised on TV and believe it to be valuable.

Point is eddie, there are one heck of a lot of stupid people out there, and only a very few of them ever read a coin forum.

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Point conceded. In fact, I'll go as far as to say, I was one of those nuts before I joined CT. Now, I consider myself a full-grown nut. Have to go for now...

EDIT: So long as no one yet referenced this in a reply, I thought I'd edit to add, "intent to tone" should be irrelevant, when evaluating a toned coin for possible purchase...however, as a practical matter, I'll agree, it can be relevant, because, on the whole, while I believe it's all but impossible to distinguish between NT and AT, much less to articulate what one means by the terms, the truth is, that market out there is so egocentric, there are even TPGs who believe they're competent to define and differentiate the two. And, thus, you always want to take that egocentricity into account when evaluating a toned coin for possible purchase. Thus, it's not enough to know, simply, that "intent to tone" should be irrelevant; you also have to be aware of the types of toning that will likely be considered "market acceptable" by the TPGs maintaining these arbitrary distinctions. Accept the fact that that's the market, the game, and play the game. And, that's all there is to it, IMHO. Oh, I almost forgot, unless it's spray paint. ;)

9. Danr

Danr Numismatist

that is more of a speckled toning which is a different thing (nice coin BTW)

10. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but that coin is gorgeous. How it got that way is irrelevant to me, as long as it wasn't advertised as being naturally toned. If you paid as much as a naturally toned coin you would have the right to be upset, but if you feel you got a good deal on it just enjoy the coin and don't care what others think. I think it looks really cool. If, as they say, it is only worth melt I'll happily buy it from you for that price. Beauty is beauty, and you have a really pretty half. It's not an MS70FBL but it is cool and unique in its own way. Enjoy it.

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted