Toned Coins??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Krd046, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Krd046

Krd046 Active Member

Gentlemen, could you go to ebay and tell me how this person can have hundreds of toned coins? here is his user name edynamicmarketing on ebay. Im very couriuos how one person can have that many coins toned, and is he doing this somehow, and if so how is he doing this, and does this enhance value somehow? Thanks in advance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Just Google-search that username. You'll find plenty of reading material.

tmoneyeagles likes this.
  4. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Yes. Having that large of an inventory isn't always a dead giveaway, but the pattern of the toning on most of his coins bear patterns that are caused by doctoring.

When you see toning patterns like these, RUN.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Americ...368168?hash=item3f7942ea68:g:ly8AAOSwImRYk4Xw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1922-P-Peac...831093?hash=item3f808f8d35:g:d2AAAOSw42dZFe~o

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-ASE-Am...813884?hash=item41c8a029bc:g:n9gAAOSwyWZZTCCk

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1896-S-Morg...137550?hash=item41ca31d48e:g:IDUAAOSwPWRZPs6M

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above coins were probably toned using a method involving heat, most likely an oven. These patterns usually find themselves on ASEs or common date AU/low MS examples of Morgan and Peace Dollars. Why? Because they're low risk high reward. $20-$30 for a coin, pop it in the oven, call it a "M@NST3R TON3R!" on eBay, and try to capitalize on the lucrative toned coin market. The target audience are those individuals that haven't yet learned that that type of pattern is not natural.

Signs to watch out for: the drastic and deep purple, blues, and oranges as well as both the obverse and reverse being completely toned and bearing the same exact toning pattern.

Not really. To the trained numismatist, those toned examples that I showed are disgusting; they diminish value if anything. But toning that is deemed natural, or questionable but market acceptable, does enhance value, and at times quite dramatically.

Some of his examples do appear market acceptable, but the sheer volume of his examples that are not make me suspect of those coins as well. He may be using a mixture of gases of some kind, but as to what gas I cannot be sure. There are some on these boards that claim they know how to do this, well enough to trick the grading companies, but the claims have been made over the years with no results. Because of this, I'm usually suspect of coin doctors who are "talented" but in regards to this particular seller, it's doubtful that all of his toned coins that are slabbed fooled the grading companies.

Now these next two examples are a little more attractive, and their patterns do enhance their values. The Peace Dollar is market acceptable, questionable origins, but most would call it natural. The ASE is definitely artificially toned, but PCGS does slab a fair amount of ASEs that are not toned naturally.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1922-Peace-...764956?hash=item3f8145a5dc:g:ZAcAAOSwZKBZJbEo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-1-Amer...210171?hash=item3f81d5c53b:g:mvsAAOSwKoRZZ7Zy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now this last one is obviously artificially toned, but not even ICG could slab it in good conscience. If a seller has a lot of raw AU/low MS coins and coins that are slabbed as genuine with similar toning patterns then you can deduce what he's trying to do: doctoring coins and trying to get examples that grading companies deem market acceptable so that he can sell them for large premiums.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Americ...869488?hash=item3f8165c2b0:g:D7AAAOSwGBtZYLJW

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One last word on ASEs. The above example is from 2015--under what natural conditions could toning like that possibly develop that quickly?! The rule of looking at the date of mintage isn't always foolproof, as is shown the artificially toned Morgan example above, but it can certainly help in deducing whether toning is natural.

Two Dogs and Oldhoopster like this.
  5. Krd046

Krd046 Active Member

Can this FAKE toning be reversed?

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

To the best of my knowledge, NO.
    There has been a chemical reaction between the coin and its environment.
    With silver coins that generally means sulfur.

Can the silver sulfide be removed?
    YES.
    Can the sulfide part alone be removed?
    NO.
    When the sulfur gets removed the silver goes with it.
    Hence a sub-microscopic layer of silver is gone.
    And that significantly impacts the metal flow lines created when the coin was struck.
    The "hourglass" effect is lessened or completely removed.

Two Dogs and ldhair like this.
  7. Krd046

Krd046 Active Member

Well Thanks. Thats ashame for people who have purchased these fake toned coins.

8. Sgarner75

Sgarner75 New Member

I was told this can be done with a torch by a Metallurgist friend of mine...

9. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I personally am not a toned coin fan but if someone else is then great. People collect things that they have an interest in. Some would scoff at artificial toning but others could care less. As long as there's a market for toned coins, whether the toning was a result of decades of chemical reaction or "cooked" over a few hours or days, you will see them being sold on Ebay or anywhere else for that matter.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Krd -

While what Kanga said is technically accurate it is also somewhat misleading to those without the base knowledge needed to understand it. Wording his comments the way he did could, stress could, make some who do not have that base knowledge think the coins are irreparably damaged. And that simply isn't the case.

First of all what we're talking about here is dipping the coins. Dipping the coins will remove the artificial toning. And if you don't already know a coin dip is a chemical solution that contains an acid. And it is the acid that will strip away the artificial toning.

Now here's the thing. When a coin is dipped properly the coin is not damaged. In fact when a coin is dipped properly nobody can tell it was ever done at all.

However, if a coin is not dipped properly then yes it absolutely can be damaged.

Ya see, what I'm trying to get across to you is the end result of dipping a coin is not a given thing. The end result can be good or the end result can be bad. It all depends on two things. 1 - whether you do it right or not. And 2 - whether the coin was already damaged, or not, before you dipped it.

What a lot of people don't understand or realize is that fully 80% or more of all older coins have been dipped at least once over the course of the life of the coin. Virtually every collector there is owns quite a few coins that have been dipped. And some collectors, every coin they own has been dipped. And a lot of those people don't even know it, others do.

alurid and wxcoin like this.
  11. GDJMSP

Yes, some artificial toning is done with a torch. But it's almost a certainty that the coins in question were toned with chemicals, not a torch.

12. Sgarner75

Sgarner75 New Member

Just what I was told, I don't know the process.

13. GDJMSP

Don't take what I said the wrong way, I merely said what I did for informational purposes only.

14. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

I have been scanning for a nice Peace Dollar for my type set and saw a string of 6 in a row all with the identical type of toning on the rims all unique to any other Peace Dollar I've seen and I didn't even need to look at who the seller was because I already knew 100% it was edynamic. Guy is a clown

15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Easy . . . this person can have as many as he wants. I imagine he'd tell you that you can have as many as you'd like too.

wxcoin likes this.
  16. RickO

RickO Active Member

All the coins shown are AT...... there are many different processes and can be done quickly.... Well done AT coins are even in TPG slabs....

17. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

The 9000+ raw coins with suspect colors sure make you want to stay away from the more than 700 that are in PCGS and NGC slabs!

Some food for thought:

More than 600
    of these are in PCGS plastic.

Only a bit more than 100 are in NGC slabs

Some may say that's because "PCGS coins sell for more" -- but in this case, I'm pretty sure it's because PCGS is more lax in allowing AT garbage in their slabs.

:cigar:

tmoneyeagles likes this.
  18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There's several threads on this seller on various forums. I would check them out on CU, if the pictures are all still there and photobucket didn't dump them some people had found some very informative information.

Removing this seller from the equation entirely, it is possible for some ASEs to tone that fast with no chemicals or active intervention like a torch from anyone.

19. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

20. Sgarner75

Sgarner75 New Member

21. Sgarner75

Sgarner75 New Member

This was done with a propane torch. Color looks like crap but it's possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted