Toned Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Zako, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

Whats the deal with toned coins I'm thinking of buying a few but i heard that toned coins are nothing more than damaged coins that look nice could someone please help me out.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

either you like them or you dont. buy what you like.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

6. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Many who do not like toned coins call them damaged or corroded, which is a misuse of the term. Others who do like toned coins are sometimes willing to pay very high premiums for the most pleasing pieces. Perhaps there is no simple, single answer to your question.

treylxapi47 and tommyc03 like this.
  7. re-collect

re-collect Active Member

My first time around as a collector I wanted nothing but "blast white" silver coins. Now, I buy white or toned silver...it all depends on what's aesthtically pleasing to your eye. All things being equal, a good rule of thumb is if it looks really nice to you..it will usually look that way to others.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. Larry Moran

Larry Moran Numismatographer

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    tommyc03 likes this.
  9. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay much more than a typical coin. I admire pretty toners but they are more of an added nicety, not a priority. Tarnish and toned are two words used selectively to describe the process of oxidation. Some coins have slight reactions, others have larger ones because of the contamination source or period of time involved. In any case, I'd prefer a natural looking coin with some tarnish rather than a dipped blast white one

Draft saved Draft deleted