Toned Coin Collectors Society NGC Slabbed Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Aug 13, 2022.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Here is a slab that I saw for the first time (and passed onto a new home). Has anyone seen these before or know anything about them?

Maybe @Lehigh96 or @Skyman

Here are a few threads that mention the Toned Coin Collectors Society. I know Lehigh has talked fondly of the forum (which unfortunately was lost years ago due to a virus).

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/305171/update-for-toned-coin-collectors-society/p1

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/26506-new-organization-for-toned-coin-collectors/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lardan and mrweaseluv like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I would have expected that Jeff to be toned. :D

Mountain Man and Collecting Nut like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I was thinking the same thing.

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Wow. That NGC thread in particular was a blast from the past. I remember a lot of those dudes fondly.... and several of them are now deceased.

The TCCS was a great idea, and was a great forum. I never participated, but I read many of their threads. Yes, it unfortunately succumbed to a virus.

6. ddddd

ddddd Member

It is toned

-jeffB likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Wonder why they would give out UnToned coins. Sort of opposite of their purpose, isn't it?

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I was going to say -- it looks toned to me, just not monster toned.

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

I don't know why we have multiple comments mentioning the opposite. It is not monster toned but it has the subtle bluish color that is found on Jefferson proofs from this era. And I would not expect a holder that was likely a free giveaway item to have a monster toned coin (usually these are common coins).

Morgandude11, -jeffB and Skyman like this.
  10. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Relax, it was meant to be a light-hearted comment. That's what :D means.

But it should be obvious that to several of us, the coin doesn't looked toned in your photos of it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  11. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

TCCS was a fun forum, and I learned quite a bit about toned coins via contacts I made from the forum. There were some good people there.

I agree with this statement. Fun slab, I've never seen one of these before.

ddddd likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

It must be very pale as I looked again and so still don’t see it.

13. brg5658

brg5658 Well-Known Member

This thread seems to be an advertisement for eye exams needed by several posters. :cigar:

ddddd and lardan like this.
  14. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I remember TCCS. I was not a member, but recall the posts on the NGC forum. It did not get too far, but was a good idea. Imagine how popular it would be today, with the insane prices of toned coins!

ddddd likes this.
  15. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

Whether you think it is toned or not it is still a very nice coin in a very unusal slab. If you don't mind me asking where did you purchase this coin in this slab?

16. Collecting Nut

I think it’s a beautiful well struck coin. I’m just not seeing toning. Maybe I’m going colorblind.

ddddd and lardan like this.
  17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Each of us are seeing the images on different devices. On my monitor, I'm seeing just a tiny bit of blue. Nice looking coin.

ddddd likes this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Maybe it’s my cell phone. I’m not seeing blue. Better it’s the cell than my eyes.

19. ddddd

ddddd Member

It's settled that the issue is a combination of my photo (could have been better), different devices, and maybe even an eye exam (had mine this year already so should be ok :p).

20. ddddd

ddddd Member

I think the forum could be popular but then again we can easily discuss all about toned coins here on CoinTalk or on the other forums already in existence. And when a forum gets too specific, it can lose steam (like the toning premium thread here-it had a good run but then lost interest).

It was an eBay find while searching for something completely different!

lardan likes this.
  21. ddddd

ddddd Member

Speaking of eyes, did you lay your eyes on my latest horse addition. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted