Toned 1976 MS-64 Washington Fetching a Premium!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by WashQuartJesse, Aug 19, 2010.

1. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

My comment is that apparently ANACS has a different idea of what constitutes "market acceptable" than both NGC & PCGS. And apparently many buyers don't seem to care!

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Before reading your comments, I was going to say "I wonder why it's in a new ANACS slab". ;)

5. Leadfoot

p.s. the coin's toning appears "too" perfect to my eye.

6. Lehigh96

I have seen a lot of coins with a very similar appearance hitting the market over the last year. It is hard to describe in words, but they just don't look right. Pat needs to work on his photography as it seems that he can't get a clear shot of the color without either the light source overlapping the coin or severely tilting the slab. That should indicate to everyone that this toning is iridescent and only appears at a small angle range. The predominant appearance is probably best captured in the second obverse slab photo. The peripheral colors are faint and the entire coin has a sandy brown appearance that just seems off.

The problem is that these coins are extremely similar in appearance to NT album toned coins. Here is a photo of a Jefferson Nickel with album toning where rainbow target toning springs from sandy brown peripheries.

[​IMG]

The difference is that the toning on the Jefferson is not iridescent. I believe that coins with this appearance are the result of album toning. However, I also believe the coins have been the beneficiary of help via a heat or chemical accelerant. I should reiterate that I have no proof and that this is my opinion.

7. Kevo

Kevo Junior Member

That is unusual toning for a clad coin. I bet it looks a whole lot less dramatic in hand, and i am also guessing that somebody will be disappointed when they get this one. I know that seller has been around for a while but i have never bought from him. If that coin were being offered by Kryptonitecomics, it would be a whole different story.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

When I saw that it was peacockcoins, I didn't have any reservations about it. Pat is a good guy, but he is one of the few whose photography is worse than mine. LOL! For those of you who don't know him, he was the person credited with having the first Cheerios Sac authenticated.

Chris

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

dumb, dumb, dumb.....

10. Lehigh96

He also has what one could refer to as a morally casual attitude towards artificial toning.

11. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

And you wonder why there's so much interest in "helping" toning along. Although, based on my taste, I believe small premiums are justified for nicely toned coins, it's hard to believe these high premiums will hold. If they do, I'll stick my coins in folders/albums/etc and be patient, letting them appreciate.

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Freakin' rube.....

13. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

If Chris says it's OK, that's good enough for me.

gary

14. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

interesting for a non-silver coin..I want to say its real..but Id say send it to PCGS or NGC first....hard one to figure out

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Guess I'll be the contrarian again - looks NT to me.

16. Kryptonitecomic

Kryptonitecomic New Member

That coin appears AT and is one step up from Unique and toned type material...with that said....if the image is heavily saturated and the color is much more subdued in hand it's much more believable as far as album toning. Without having it in hand I will simply state that I wouldn't pay $5 for that coin in that holder but if it were in a PCGS genuine slab I might pay $10. Why you may ask.....becuase in a genuine holders it's not pretending to be something it's not and I know exactly what I am buying and can make a informed decision. I purchased a toned dime from pat that was rainbow toned and in a genuine holder....

17. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

Clad quarters from this era seem to naturally tone gold. I haven't seen any rainbow toning other than on proofs from 70's coins, but who knows, I'm not saying it couldn't happen. The proof coins seem to tone quickly (I love the real dark almost black looking ones). It just boggles me that people are willing to pay this kind of premium. I mean, an MS-64 clad 76 is worth what... a few bucks?

18. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

its actually quite easy to design those here :D

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I think you'd find this is pretty much what it looks like in hand -

Attached Files:

20. Leadfoot

That's a very interesting way to put it. I like Pat. He's a good guy (and a police officer, IIRC). His attitude towards questionable coins is not commonly held, I think it's fair to say.

That said, it changes nothing about the coin, which should be judged on its own.

21. Leadfoot

I have a Dansco album full of toned Ikes. None of them show such a rapid rainbow. In hand, the difference between these coins and eBay coin would be immediately obvious. Even in the photo, it's not hard.

Draft saved Draft deleted