Token or Medal ?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by FredJB, Apr 2, 2020.

1. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Medal or Token ?

Medal or Token ? Is a question every collector eventually has to answer for themselves. Many times I have seen small sized medals listed as a tokens. To my way of thinking a medal commemorates or honors something while a token is a money substitute or at least good for something at the time of issue. For example Civil War tokens are tokens, even the Patriotics without “Good For” statements did or could circulate as one cent. There for a “Token of Appreciation” is usually a medal. For example this rare Franco Prussian War Prisoner of War Camp Guards medal is really a medal in spite of its small size. Franco Prussia War POW 8 .jpg Franco Prussia War POW .jpg

Deacon Ray, Parthicus and furryfrog02 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer to your question but I love that depiction of Germania!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@FredJB

The classifications go even further than the distinction between tokens and medals. For example, if the medal is smaller than 38mm, it is called a "Jeton". ~ Chris

furryfrog02 and Deacon Ray like this.
  5. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris, but doesn't "Jeton" imply a use like counting or a game piece?

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think it was around the 13th century that jetons were first used by merchants in the Mediterranean region for adding up a customer's purchases much like the abacus was used in the orient. As the popularity spread throughout Europe, and while the jetons had no monetary value, people began using them as counters for various table games. ~ Chris

paddyman98 and FredJB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted