Today's Unexpected Guest: Licinius II

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Sep 18, 2013.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Well, I won an auction for a Crispus and this came instead. Checked the seller's history, and sure enough somebody else won the Licinius. Somehow the coins got switched, so I've contacted the seller and I'll probably have to send it back. Too bad - nice coin, eh?

[​IMG]

Eng, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Pretty coin. Too bad you can't keep it.

4. John Anthony

I offered to buy it, but I still want my Crispus. I just don't want somebody else going without the coin they won.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Id wanna keep it too, better then mine even though I got it mainly to have a campgate of some sort.

[​IMG]
    Licinius II (317 - 324 A.D.)
    AE3
    O: D N VAL LICIN LICINIVS NOB C, laureate, draped consular bust right, globe and scepter in right hand, mappa in left.
    R: PROVIDENTIAE CAESS, campgate with three turrets, “L” right, SMH“G” in ex.
    Heraclea mint
    3.2g
    19.9mm
    RIC VII 49

vlaha, stevex6, randygeki and 3 others like this.
  6. jon12

jon12 Young Numismatic

Neat coin!

John Anthony likes this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thats happened to me once, but for me it was not an accident. The seller "lost" the coin and sent me a "better one" with out contacting me. It wasnt a better coin. :)

8. John Anthony

Yeah, I suspected something like that. We'll see what happens. But in fact, I'd be just as happy with this coin as the Crispus, so it's a win/win.

9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

yeah that coin is nice.

With the one I got, it was worth what I paid and didnt want pay shipping twice for nothing so i kept it. Either he wanted to try and sell it for more money, or he genuinely lost it, either way he didn't handle it well. Supposed he was a respected dealer too :{} live and learn though :D

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice lookin' licinius ii, just about bullseye centerd. maybe you can have them both!!!

John Anthony likes this.
  11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

dang...sorry for double post.

here's my licinius ii since i did..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jon12, Bing, Windchild and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted