Today's pocket pieces

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mr. Flute, Jan 13, 2015.

1. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Nice, pic of the 87? My birth year!

Here is my daily carry
    image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

i just started carrying it today so its still pretty much BU, but i will post a pic once my phone is charged.

4. Pere

Pere Active Member

Perhaps someday they will... just as someday they might own some of your coins. Is it also "a shame" that you're not giving yours over right now?

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It seems my point has been missed. If someone takes coins that are in decent condition and uses them as pocket pieces just to make their condition worse, then why wouldn't it benefit the hobby to give them to a YN who might not be able to afford them in that given condition? I've given many coins away because I really didn't need them.

Chris

6. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

I had them in my pocket for one day. Relax.

Today's are these two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, for the heck of it:

[​IMG]

7. cpm9ball

Then, I don't understand why you'd put them in your pocket in the first place. Typically, some collectors put them in their pocket to wear them down to PO1.

Chris

8. Mr. Flute

To look at them while I sit at my desk at work or during a boring meeting, because I'm a coin collector and love the look and feel of circulated coins.

You'd probably faint from a heavy vexing if I show my '71 Ike that's on my key ring.

I even purposely drilled a hole in it.

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Just for fun.

Remember those days?

10. cpm9ball

Fine! Why don't you drill a hole in all your coins.........but at least donate the SLQ, Merc & Buff to one of the kids beforehand.

Chris

jlogan likes this.
  11. kolhoznik

kolhoznik Member

Ok...serious question....why are you carrying random culls in your pocket?

12. Mr. Flute

Because...

13. cpm9ball

Most of them aren't culls. As a matter of fact, the '45 Washie has a lot of luster.

Chris

14. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

when I carry a pocket piece it is NOT just to wear it down. I like having a piece that lots of people may not have seen. One occasion I will have a pleasant conversation about that coin and maybe about collecting. Its just for interest and for fun.
    The wear on that one coin out of millions or even billions just does not vex me.

15. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

my current pocket piece
    P1171278.JPG

16. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I just started with a 64 Kennedy half. It's in the AU/BU range right now and I'm curious to see how quickly it wears.

17. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

There is a vending machine at a gas station near my home that sells random coins for 50 cents each. Most of the coins are common wheats or Mexican, but recently I got a Liberty Nickel that grades at least good except for some rim damage. I have it sitting on my desk to look at when I get bored.

18. Pere

Pere Active Member

What are these hyoo-mon things?

19. Pere

Pere Active Member

Seriously,

this.

A shimmery proof, a sharp uncirculated, can be a lovely little piece of art. But it's not... quite... a real coin until it's lived as money. Traveled in pockets, slid across counters, jingled and stacked.

Circulation gives meaning and character.

BRandM and jlogan like this.
  20. Mr. Flute

Today's office buddies:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, that was my assumption at the beginning of the thread, too. It's good to be reminded of another good reason for carrying these things in a pocket. :)

I'm currently carrying a 1994 ASE. It was harshly cleaned (steel wool?), covered in scratches, and it just sort of called out to me to help it recover. I got it for just a bit over spot. It's wearing very, very slowly, though -- I've been carrying it for several months, and I can barely tell much difference.

I still kind of wish I'd kept one of the gold Kennedys to wear down as a pocket piece, but it was just a bit too much money to indulge that particular whim. For a while, I was checking for cheaper ones on eBay, but I kind of forgot about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted