Today..

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by galba68, Mar 30, 2020.

1. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

S.Severus denarius, T.Decius and Gallienus antoninianii, Philippus viminacium..

upload_2020-3-30_18-28-11.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I might wet my drawers if I could go MDing and find such. Someday. Maybe. Congratulations. Show them again when you have them cleaned up.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice little haul, congrats.

galba68 likes this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great finds. I don't know how you do it. Keep your stomping grounds secretive though to avoid any competition for the coins.

galba68 likes this.
  6. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Again WOW! I would be curious to know how many coins you found in your career and what are the highlights of your discoveries...you should write a thread about that.

galba68 and Alegandron like this.
  7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Wish I could do some "social distancing" where you are and do some metal detecting.

DonnaML and galba68 like this.
  8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Living in the USA as I do, I've always felt extremely envious of those who live in the UK and the Continent who can go out with a metal detector and find ancient Roman and other coins. I guess it's the old fantasy of buried treasure, but it does sound remarkably appealing!

9. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

An old metal detecting buddy of mine (Doug) has a Brit. friend & fellow MD hunter that moved back from the U.S. to UK some time ago.
    I did not meet Tony but my friend told me that he was both a ravenous & fearless hunter while in here in TX and continues to hunt somewhere in England to this day.
    Tony who must be in his 70's, worked in his local museum part time when he was not hunting and is a member of his local MD club.
    He has won BEST FINDS in his club for the last 3-5 years and I'm sure if he were to meet galba68, the conversation would be quite illuminating...& entertaining.
    J.T.

galba68 likes this.
  10. galba68

O, the last 20 years there have been beautiful coins..Gold, silver, bronze..artefacts..
    I sold some coins cheaply, some even too expensive..I have give away many coins..In the past I found gold coins, but nothing can excite me more than when I found good large sestertius..There are many reasons why I have to keep a secret about some finds, but it was a pleasure to share with you guys, photos of 'dirty coins"
    "Man is the master of those words he did not say, and the slave of those he said"

11. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

galba68,
    My friend Doug shared one of Tony's major finds several years ago. It was a 'honker' of a large Celtic gold ring. He turned it in to the officials and it was deemed 'Treasure Trove'. He was paid 40,000£. (Perhaps you heard about this find) Having photographed it extensively, w/ some of the money, he had a goldsmith make a duplicate of the ring.
    I always wondered what % of U.K. MD finds are kept secret!
    Mums the word..."and the slave of those he said"
    J.T.

galba68 likes this.
  12. galba68

JT, some people do not want the image of the coin released to the public..
    And indeed, many findings are kept secret, for some reason..

J.T. Parker likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted