today MD

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by galba68, May 27, 2018.

1. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

Wow! All I find detecting is pull tabs, modern change, and aluminum scrap metal :dead:
    Nice finds.

Nicholas Molinari and galba68 like this.
  4. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Cool findings not in 20 years i would find it here :D

galba68 likes this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Excellent finds!

galba68 likes this.
  6. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

To clean or not to clean - that is the question !!!

galba68 likes this.
  7. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Ah roman bus tokens. Good find. Its gotta be great fun for you

Deacon Ray and galba68 like this.
  8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Another awesome score! What's that groovy red thing in the back? It looks like it might be clay or a shard?

galba68 likes this.
  9. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

Deacon Ray, Ryro and galba68 like this.
  10. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

hi ryro..ragnarok is right..its a terra sigillata..have some animals on it..dog and bird..

Ryro, RAGNAROK and Nathan401 like this.
  11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

You're kidding, these need to be cleaned.

Andres2 and TIF like this.
  12. Bert Gedin

I expect you've answered the question, Kentucky.

13. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Wow! That's an amateur archeologist and ancient coin collector's dream come true. :wideyed: Is the shard of pottery a piece of the container that the coins may have been buried in? If so, there may be a lot more of them at that location.

14. Bert Gedin

Hi Deacon. I see you are collector of Ancient Judea coins, and a Ya'akov Meshorer fan. It would be of benefit and advantage to share your knowledge in these matters. Understood, of course, that it would be about numismatics, and that politics would not be involved. Looking forward to your information, and, possibly, other member's views as well.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Bert, CoinTalk has a variety of helpful ways to find prior posts and subject matter. If you are interested specifically in what Deacon Ray has posted, you can easily find all of his threads. Here's how:

BertTut1_edited-1.jpg

On the small pop-up window that appears, click Profile Page.

BertTut2_edited-1.jpg

His profile page will appear. Click the Postings tab.
    BertTut3_edited-1.jpg

A list of his most recent posts will appear (all of his posts, not just threads he started). Filter the results to show only the threads he started by scrolling to the bottom of that page and clicking "Find all threads by Deacon Ray". Note that the other choice, "Find all content by Deacon Ray" will show you not only the threads he started but every comment he has written on his and other members' threads.

BertTut4_edited-1.jpg

Enjoy reading all of his threads. There are more than a hundred of them :)

BertTut6_edited-1.jpg

Another way to search-- quite helpful when you're looking for a specific coin or term, is by using the Search bar at the top right of your screen. There are several ways to filter the results. Here's a basic search example:

BertTut7_edited-1.jpg

If desired, you can limit the results to a specific member or time period. I usually click the box to limit the search to the current board (the Ancients board) but you can broaden your search to other CoinTalk locations if needed. Note that you can also search just in the current thread.

BertTut8_edited-1.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  16. Deacon Ray

Hi Bert—thank you for your interest in my Judaean coin posts. And thank you @TIF for your excellent info-graphics showing how to navigate and find older posts.

First and foremost I must confess that I'm not even close to being an expert on Judaean coins. I developed an intense interest very gradually over time. My first book on the subject was Ya'akov Meshorer's Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum 6: Palestine-South Arabia for the American Numismatic Society. I began using the book as a reference for coins that I wanted to include in my collection.

I'm going to be posting a poster of my Judaean collection soon (there are earlier versions in some of the older posts on this forum) I've purchased several hard to find Herod the Great era coins that I'm very excited about and I want to share images of them with my CTAF friends.

I only purchase from highly recommended dealers who guarantee for life the authenticity of the coins. I'll be glad to send you a list of my favorite dealers.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  17. Bert Gedin

Hi Deacon, and before I go any further, thanks TIF for your helpful advice and illustrations ! Deacon, your speedy response was much appreciated.- I do think your knowhow on Judaean coins is more than minimal, and I do look forward to any posts or pictures on the topic. That would certainly include Herod the Great era coins and anything else relevant. I should say that I don't live in USA, but in England, so I may not readily be shopping from American dealers. Even so, it would be nice to see your listed favourite dealers. And I'm surely not the only one looking forward to seeing the poster of your Judaean collection. You may even get room to include some related historical details !!!

Johndakerftw, Deacon Ray and TIF like this.
  18. Deacon Ray

Great to make your acquaintance, Bert! Two of my favorite dealers are in Israel and licensed by the Israel Antiquities Authority. Both have been endorsed by Jean-Philippe Fontanelle and David Hendin. I'll get that information to you.

19. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Here is a coin of Herod The Great that was a gift from @Deacon Ray. It is my only coin from Judea. Thanks again Ray, it is a "great" addition to my historical figures collection.

Herod I 8 Prutot.png

20. Deacon Ray

You're very welcome, Mr. @Orfew ! It was my honor to have selected your name. Your participation in this forum and your contributions are greatly appreciated. I cannot imagine that coin going to a better home.

Alegandron likes this.
  21. Bert Gedin

Hi again, Deacon. Is Metal Detection, by amateurs, allowed anywhere in Israel ? You may have seen that a few of members here are M.D. people, probably not in Israel, but, as we know, there is history everywhere !!! Thanks for any info.

Deacon Ray likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted