Today is German Unity Day, post a German coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by goossen, Oct 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

My father was in the Navy during WW2 in the South Pacific assigned to submarine duty. He was tired of living in a "tin can", so after WW2, he enlisted in the Army. He first serviced at Fort Knox, Kentucky, but after 5 years there, he was stationed at the hospital at Landstuhl, German. I was 6. Although it was several years after WW2, the amount of destruction was still there. We all loved Germany and its citizens. It was hard to believe they had been our enemies. Anyway, I collected two things, comic books and coins. In 1957, I was 10 and we were transferred to Fort Ord, California. Somehow, both collections that had been securely stored, did not make it. Thankfully, we were transferred to France, where I finished high school in Verdun in 1965. My new French coin collection were also stolen. DeGaulle closed all US bases down and after graduation night, we left for Mannheim, German. Wow! what a change. I worked on base to earn money so that I could hitchhike throughout Europe. That is a long story, however, I got my passport and travelled the country in 1966. I got to Berlin and was impressed buy the beauty. West Germany was a beautiful country and the citizens were wonderful. I stayed in Youth Hostels for about 50 cents a night. I was able to get papers to go to East Germany. The citizens were somber and would seldom talk to me. The city was dirty and the destruction was still in existent. My main purpose in East German was to collect as many coins as possible. I had some U.S. dollars and the people were more than willing to exchange them for their coins. When I left East Germany, I had to take everything out of my bags and pockets. My coins were taken from me. I was interrogated by the "krauts" and then I was allowed to leave. I checked my money, the coins were gone as well as a ten dollar bill. I did see the wall, but after that experience, I decided not to collect German coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Gold, Saxony, 10 Mark IMG_20181214_181133.jpg IMG_20181214_181156.jpg

4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

20201003_161245.jpg 20201003_161325.jpg some of my oldest german coins.Found them searching through penny rolls.

5. goossen

goossen Senior Member

All that in penny rolls? Impressive

6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

7. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

furstenberg.jpg

SILVER AUSBEUTETALER - PRINCIPALITY OF FÜRSTENBERG

Year: 1790

Obverse: Portrait of Prince left - JOS M B FURST ZU FURSTENBERG L I D B U Z ST H Z HAUSENI KINZ THAL / XEINE FEINE MARK

Reverse: Friedrich Christian Mine - MIT GOTT DURCH KUNST U ARBEIT / DIE GRUBEFRIED CHRIST GABS ZUR AUSBEUT IM OUARTAL CRUCIS 1790

furstenbergobv1.jpg

furstenburgrev1.jpg

8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

eckenerzr126silber1924 (1).jpg

I collect some memorabilia from the Zeppelins - this LZ-126 was transferred to the US Navy as war reparations in 1924 and became the USS Los Angeles. This ship was designed to use hydrogen for lift, but the US controlled the supply of helium which didn't have as much lift as hydrogen but was much safer. Of all the US Navy airships, the USS Los Angeles was the only one that was not destroyed in an accident. In fact it was dismantled in 1939. Dr. Hugo Eckener, the designer of this airship is the subject of the obverse whilst the airship and it's 1924 travels across the Atlantic - the first airship to travel from Europe to N. America.

10. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

My father was in the army, stationed in Germany during the Korean War. From his service there I got 1950 1 pfennig, 5 pfennig, 10 pfennig, 50 pfennig, and 1 mark coins. (He did targeting for nuclear cannons - now there was a deterrent!)
    1950_1mark.jpg

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

dreimark1930.jpg

funfmark1930.jpg

The Graf Zeppelin was the first airship to circumnavigate earth in 1929, an event duly commemorated in 1930.

talerman, goossen, spirityoda and 2 others like this.
  12. Cachecoins

2mark1.jpg

2 MARKS COIN - GERMANY - MAX PLANCK COMMEMORATIVE
    (KM 116)

Date: A.D. 1958

Obverse: Portrait head left - MAX PLANCK 1858 - 1947

Reverse: Eagle - BUNDESREPUBLIK DEUTSCHLAND 2 DEUTSCHE MARK (Republic of Germany 2 Marks)
    Engraver: Karl Roth

talerman and Seattlite86 like this.
  13. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

14. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

15. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

16. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

17. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Here are the few I have saved to my phone at the moment :)
    image03395.jpg Anhalt Zerbst-horz.jpg Reuss Ebersdorf.jpg Trier 1708 3 Petermenger obv-horz.jpg Hannover 1 Groschen 1866 a-horz.jpg altsalb0310901577l.jpg altnuersta2k03930001799e.jpg altnuersta2k0500000000e1.jpg altmuesdomw030a1608n (1).jpg edeNOmqwQGCFQv61oVzb_9314_23888a00_c (1).jpg

18. Cachecoins

spirityoda and Steve66 like this.
  19. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

1436-i28b.jpg
    First dated gold coin of Germany.

20. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Landgraviate of Hessen-Kassel, Wilhelm VIII, 1 Heller, 1751
    It's not much to look at, but my first coin from this particular German State.

Hessen-Kassel 1 Heller 1751.jpeg

Seattlite86, lordmarcovan and goossen like this.
  21. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

tibor, That's s great early Renaissance coin :D! Is it a ducat o_O?

Draft saved Draft deleted