Today is Election day and I'm wondering how it will affect coin collecting

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by AlexN2coins2004, Nov 8, 2016.

1. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

Been a long time since I logged in and got some questions that have been aching to get out of my fingers :)

Today is Election day and I'm wondering how it will affect coin collecting. I'm not talking about policy of either candidate or anything political so please refrain from bringing up R's or D's.

What I'm thinking about is the next presidential coinage to come in the future whenever it that might be.

Would anyone buy a President Clinton Coin here or a President Trump Coin?

If Clinton is elected she would be the 1st woman president and I wonder if that would push her to being on our everyday use coinage?

Also would there be some sort of push for Trump if elected to be on future everyday coinage as well?

like I said I'm not wanting to bring up politics here or mudslinging he/she is evil ect nonsense I just want a fun and informative conversation here with fellow cointalkers.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

What, there is an election in the US today? Had no idea, tell me all about-----nah! :wacky:

And yes, whoever becomes the next president may very well be depicted on coins or bills one day, once s/he is dead. Provided that there will still be such means of payment at that time.

Christian

MKent, Kentucky, paddyman98 and 2 others like this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Whatever happens the US mint will continue to produce 'coins' for collectors as long as there is a buck to be wrung out of the gullible who do not appreciate that stuff made as a collectable usually winds up as a big loss maker eventually.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I see no reason to believe that things won't be anything but business as usual .

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I already have both on a 1 oz. copper round. They are facing each other. Time to get back to reality.
    clintonvstrump.jpg

7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm curious if it will affect silver and gold pending who gets elected.

8. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Let me wake Nostradamus, I'm sure he has the correct answer .........

spirityoda and saltysam-1 like this.
  9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Now kiss...

10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The Dow was up, up, up yesterday.

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Personally, I like Lady Liberty on my coins, not presidents. The exception? - Lincoln Wheat Cents.

12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

You asked me something? :p

[​IMG]

spirityoda, rooman9, Cascade and 3 others like this.
  13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Winning lotto numbers?

14. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This Hilary looks like Motzart.

C-B-D likes this.
  15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Here is something interesting I saw today (hope this is not political) :nailbiting:
    I want to share this image from ecoins.com -
    clintonmedallion_mocksmal.jpg

16. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Don't they have to be dead first to be on US MINT coinage or BEP paper money?

paddyman98 likes this.
  17. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes. The moderator for cointalk mentioned it on the 2nd post of this thread. :dead:

18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They would have to make up first. :)

19. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

But,
    Don't they have to be dead first to be on US MINT coinage or BEP paper money?
    :)

Unless they totally change the laws governing coinage and convert everything to their bust. Imagine all new coinage and paper money having one image on them.
    Sounds plausible depending upon the candidate.

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

To the best of my knowledge, no they do not. Calvin Coolidge was on a US coin while he was still in office.

A lot of people "think" they have to be dead before their image can be put on a coin, but there is no law that says so. The law that established the Presidential coin series does state that a President must have been dead for 2 years before his image can appear on a coin in that series. But that law only applies to the coins in that specific series - not any other coins.

21. Daniel Lowery

Daniel Lowery Active Member

Newsweek delivered it's magazine today with Hillary on front cover as victor. "Madame President it says."

Draft saved Draft deleted