To wash or NOT to wash?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Sherry3388, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Sherry3388

Sherry3388 New Member

I am very new to coin collecting and am learning...
    I inherited a coin collection last summer when my uncle passed away and prior to this inheritance, I had never been a collector.
    Since then, I've been researching a bit...and have read several times about "washing of coins". Some say no, some say a light, soap & water wash is ok...etc..
    I'm asking for opinions about old coins...should I wash them in light soap water prior to putting them into flips...or no.?.?
    I have several "blue books" filled with old dimes, nickels and pennies ...but they are very old and dirty looking.
    Thanks in advance!
    Sherry
    Mercury Dimes1.png

Nathan401 and FrugalCO like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

On circulated coins a light soap and water wash would be fine. Others here will say to let that dry and dip them in Acetone and allow to dry. Myself, I have never done the acetone. Just don't use anything abrasive. No toothbrushes or anything of that kind. Just a simple wash with the fingers you should be OK. Now if you happen upon some finer specimens. Coins that look like they haven't seen circulation you may want to abstain from the wash until some more seasoned pro's jump on board and respond. Welcome to the finest hobby in the world.

FrugalCO likes this.
  4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

IMO, it's best to leave them as they are.

V. Kurt Bellman and Insider like this.
  5. Sherry3388

Sherry3388 New Member

OK...thank you, Randy!
    And per your terminology "finer specimens" - are you possibly referring to ones with like a purple/green taint?

6. Walt Knoch

Walt Knoch It sure is

Welcome to Coin Talk. Having an instant coin collection, you've come to the right place. These are some of the top guys in the country here and will help you with any question you have. I have my own ways of cleaning depending on how old, condition, grime, etc. they'll let you know though. Good luck with your new hobby.

Harvey D likes this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:stop: Trust me...BEST TO LEAVE THEM AS IS! :happy:

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Your Dimes are not Mint Errors
    Post in US Coins forum section next time

Don't clean any coin.

Harvey D and V. Kurt Bellman like this.
  9. Sherry3388

Sherry3388 New Member

Thank you, Walt! I'm really enjoying the discovery and learning process!
    Coin collecting is a fun hobby!
    I am a wee bit overwhelmed due to the volume of coins I inherited and the research involved on each individual coin...but I've got the rest of my life to learn about each one! lol

Walt Knoch likes this.
  10. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I had 38 years of experience in coins before I first "cleaned" my first one.

11. Sherry3388

Sherry3388 New Member

OK paddyman. I apologize. :( I got caught up and forgot there were different forums. My bad. (I'm not online much...until I inherited this coin collection)

12. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Agree on do not clean any coins.

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

No kidding....

The entire "don't clean coins" thing exists for situations just like this as the whole point is to convince the new to avoid making what can all too easily become a very big and/or costly mistake.

14. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Not so much that. If you look at your photo, you have six dimes with average wear. If you look at the upper left dime you will see much more detail in Mercury's hair and wings. That is a much finer specimen than the other five conditionally speaking. And this hobby is all about the condition of the coin. Any pieces that exhibit a finer condition (more details) you might want to leave alone.

15. Sherry3388

Sherry3388 New Member

OK....sounds like it's best for me to NOT wash them and just put them in flips.
    That's easier anyway! lol
    Thanks for everyone's input!! Much appreciated!!

16. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Don't rush into it - less is better in most cases - find out if your coins are more valuable than common circulated specimens (that 1919 looks like a good one) - if they're all common dates and your fingers turn gray and grimy from handling, giving the nickels and dimes a hot soapy water bath and a gentle finger rub, followed by a thorough rinse and dry on a cotton towel won't hurt them - I purchase circulated 90% silver coins in bulk and give them all a hot bath before handling.
    Older coins from the 1800s and silver dollars should be left as they are.
    Make sure there are no valuable cents & giving them a gentle vaseline rub and wipe with a soft cloth will perk them up.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  17. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It's not that you will do any noteworthy or meaningful damage, but that you can or may. If you'd like to play around and clean a few of the coins there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing so, but please have someone genuinely familiar first screen for you to ensure you're not possibly damaging one of value. There are near countless coins out there damaged by someone new only trying to "help" them and/or make them look "better". Unfortunately, "better" to a novice eye is usually night and day compared to an experienced one.

18. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Washing with soap and water (and I like to follow it with an IPA rinse) is not considered "Cleaning". It will not change the look of the coin, just remove any loose dirt and grunge.

19. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Beer?!

Sherry3388 likes this.
  20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Agreed!

I keep hearing people suggesting that using soap & water and rubbing with your fingers is okay.

IT'S NOT OKAY!

Even if the coating of dirt or grime is light, rubbing gently can create fine hairlines on the coin.

Chris

21. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Well, I suppose rinsing coins with an IPA sure beats the heck out of drinking that swill.

furryfrog02 and rickmp like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted