To The Victor Go The Spoils

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Apr 21, 2020.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

This beautiful Elagabalus denarius came in the mail today along with a provincial Titus Judea Capta. From what I have found, this reverse was to honor Elagabalus' victory over Macrinus and his son, Diadumenian.

IMG_1983-removebg-preview.png

Let's see some other "Victory" coins you have (Britania, Germania, etc...) :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here's one from the year of the six emperors (238 A.D.) It also features VICTORY, presumably celebrating the victory over Maximinus Thrax.

Pupienus AE Sestertius.
    IMP CAES M CLOD PVPIENVS AVG, laureate, draped & cuirassed bust right
    VICTORIA AVGG S-C, Victory standing front, looking left, holding wreath and palm branch. RIC 23a, Cohen 38.

pupienus1.jpg

pupienus2.jpg

4. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

This one is my avatar coin, and one of my favorites. It celebrates Maximinus Thrax's victorious German campaign.

516BF7C8-857A-49F9-911A-60AA67399B5D.jpeg
    Maximinus I (Thrax), AR Denarius (20 mm, 3.04 g), Rome, 236-237. MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG GERM Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Maximinus I to right/ Rev. VICTORIA GERM Victory standing front, head to left, holding wreath in her right hand and palm frond with her left; German captive at feet. RIC 23

5. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

Trajan_Decius__249-251_-removebg-preview.png

Trajan Decius (Augustus)
    Coin: Brass Sestertius
    IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG - Laureate & cuirassed bust right
    VICTORIA AVG S-C - Victory advancing left with wreath & palm branch.
    Exergue:

Mint: Rome (249-250 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 13.61g / 29mm / 12h
    References:
    RIC IV 126d
    Cohen 117
    Sear 9410
    Provenances:
    Bertolami Fine Arts
    Acquisition/Sale: Bertolami Fine Arts Internet E-Live Auction 61 #606 $0.00 09/18
    Notes: Jun 9, 19 - The Gary R. Wilson Collection

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Great coin! I always like any coin that specifies the enemy by name but this one instead specifies the ruler responsible for the victory. That is very, very unusual and a bit like blowing one's own horn when the ruler had nothing to do with the victory.

Of course my favorite Victory series is from 'Emesa' which copied the Antioch type of C. Pescennius Niger Iustus and later changed it omitting The part using part of Pescennius' name leaving us with VICTOR SEVER AVG.

Pescennius Niger "IVS" / VICTOR IVST AVG
    rd0055bb3155.jpg

Septimius / VICTOR IVST AVG
    rg0650b00968blg.jpg

Septimius / VICTOR SEVER AVG
    rg1410bb1567.jpg

And, of course,there is the Julia Domna version VICTOR IVST AVG - no male issued this legend with a seated Victory.
    rk5140fd1946.jpg

7. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Nice coins!
    I will pitch in with another Elagalabus IMG_0690.JPG IMG_0694.JPG

8. furryfrog02

Doug,
    My coin’s reverse seems right up Elagabalus’ alley doesn’t it? :)

Thanks for sharing your examples. I have never seen a seated Victory before. Too cool!

DonnaML and ancient coin hunter like this.
  9. panzerman

IMG_1105.JPG IMG_1108.JPG Another Victoria from Zeno

10. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Victory over the Goths!

Tacitus VICTORIA GOTTHI antoninianus.jpg Tacitus, AD 275-276.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 3.57 gm, 21.1 mm.
    Ticinum, AD 276.
    Obv: IMP C M CL TACITVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: VICTORIA GOTTHI, Victoria standing left, holding wreath and palm; P in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 172; Cohen 158; Sear 11821; Hunter 59; CBN 1676.

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

VICTORY - LAELIANUS... WHO???

Yes, I cut and pasted (stole?) the below passages from Wikipedia. However, there is not a lot on this guy... Big VICTORY on the back of the coin, but...

(My coin)
    upload_2020-4-21_20-48-3.png
    Roman Empire
    Laelianus, AD 269
    AE Antoninianus, 19mm, 3.4g, 6h; Moguntiacum mint.
    Obv.: IMP C LAELIANVS PF AVG; Radiate, cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: VICTORIA AVG; Victory advancing right.
    Reference: RIC Vb 9, p. 373
    Ex: @John Anthony

Origins[edit]
    Little is known about Laelianus. He shares the same nomen as a prominent Hispano-Roman family, the Ulpii, that included Trajan among its members, and may have been a relative.[2] This is supported by the strong allusion to Hispania on an aureus he struck, which featured the design of Hispania reclining with a rabbit to her side. If he indeed was a relative, this may be the reason Hispania allied itself with Claudius II, after the death of Laelianus, seemingly without a struggle.

Rule[edit]
    Laelianus declared himself emperor at Moguntiacum in February/March 269.[3] after repulsing a Germanic invasion.[4] Although his exact position is unknown, he is believed to have been a senior officer under Postumus,[5] either the legatus of Germania Superior or the commander of Legio XXII Primigenia.[2] Laelianus represented a strong danger to Postumus because of the two legions he commanded (Primigenia in Moguntiacum and VIII Augusta in Argentoratum);[2] Despite this, his rebellion lasted only about two months before he was executed,[6] reputedly by his own soldiers, or by Postumus' troops after a siege of Laelianus' capital.[1] The siege of Moguntiacum was also fatal for Postumus; it is said he was slain when he refused to allow his troops to plunder the city following its capture.[7]
    ...WIKIPEDIA
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laelianus

13. furryfrog02

I had never heard of him before. Interesting!

Alegandron likes this.
  14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

(His coins ain't too cheap either...)

Ryro and panzerman like this.
  15. furryfrog02

Yeah I just checked vcoins....he will forever be missing from my collection.

Alegandron likes this.
  16. panzerman

Yeah, I remembered seeing an FDC Aureus from him on NFA auction.....price realized back then was $$$$$

Alegandron likes this.
  17. furryfrog02

Awww come on, you didn't add it to your already amazing collection? ;)

18. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Dupondius of Germanicus, struck by his son, Caligula, honoring his father's victory over the Germans.

0001LG.jpg

19. Kris Ferrara

Kris Ferrara New Member

20. furryfrog02

Beautiful. I would love to add a Caligula some day.

octavius likes this.
  21. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Great looking Elagabalus, FF!

Here's Victory standing on a galley waving two pompoms, commemorating the defeat of the Licinian fleet by Crispus at the Battle of the Hellespont in 324. This victory enabled Constantine's army to cross over into Asia Minor and force Licinius to retreat to Byzantium, where he eventually surrendered, resulting in Constantine becoming the sole ruler of the Roman Empire.

Constantine I - Libertas Pvblica.jpg
    CONSTANTINE I
    AE3. 3.15g, 19mm, Constantinople mint, AD 327-328. RIC VII 25 (R2). O: CONSTANTI-NVS MAX AVG, rosette-diademed head right. R: LIBERT-A-S PVBLICA, Victory standing with head left on a galley, holding up a wreath in each hand; CONS in exergue, B in left field.

Draft saved Draft deleted